I'm currently playing on a crappy Acoustic given to me for a Christmas present years ago. I'm looking to buy an electric guitar pretty soon here. I'm not sure exactly what my budget will be, but it looks to be either ~$400 or ~$700. Here are the 3 guitars I'm considering.

Epiphone Prophecy EX/GX, Either the LP or the SG, not sure which i'd like better
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Prophecy-Electric-Pickups-Midnight/dp/B0012RI8MM
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-CustomGX-with-Dirty-Fingers-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515617&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=142131426

Epiphone SG G-400
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-G-400-SG-Electric-Guitar-100042754-i1149971.gc

Band's that I love listening to range from stuff like Skillet, Red, Kutless, Alter-Bridge, Creed, Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver, Haste the Day, All that remains, Disciple, BFMV, and Metallica. However, if I had to choose between a Hard rock sound, and a metal sound I'd prefer the Hard rock. One of my favorite guitarists is Slash.

Thoughts on these guitars? Any other guitars that you would recommend?

Thanks
Last edited by shadowkamakazi at Dec 17, 2009,
Michael Kelly's are nice, and would save you a bit of money. I think they compare very well to the guitars you have listed. I do own an MK (Patriot Q)...it's a very nice guitar (very heavy though ~ 10lbs). The action is nice and low and it plays great. Gc Carries Them

Even cheaper, a lot of folks have great things to say about the GFS Xavier guitars: Check them out.
Thanks guys, I'll have to check those out. What do you think of the guitars I had in mind? Pros/cons?
I can't speak to those particular models, because I don't know anything about them. I do have an Epi Strat copy, however. The quality on it is very mediocre. That being said I think the conventional wisdom on Epis goes thus:

1. Gibson built or refurbed a new plant in China...so the quality of the carpentry is good..since it's all new machines doing the work.
2. Pickups are decent.
3. Electronics are crap (I can attest to this on my Strat clone, I replaced the pots, switch and jack)
4. Tuners, I don't know. The ones on my Epi are not great. THey work smoothly enough, but one of the hollow threaded bolts randomly busted I had to replace it. It was cheap, low quality crap metal.
5. Tremolo/Bridge (I can only speak for my strat): I had to put 5 springs on it to basically lock it down. If I tried to set it so it would float (like it's supposed to), I could not get the guitar to stay in tune for shit--and I don't even have the whammy bar in it so I wasn't ever using it to stretch strings.
Buying a guitar is down to your prefrence look whats available in your price range, go to the shop and try them out don't be afraid to do this, after all its your money and they want it, find the one that you like best, before parting with your money use the internet to search for reviews, check on ebay see if the same guitar is on sale anywhere else, i tried out an SG copy once then checked on ebay and found the same guitar and saved 100.
Well the prophecy series has Dirty finger pickups or EMG 81/85 which I've read are both very good Pups. The tuners are Grover...not sure if that's good or not. And the bridge is "LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece for more sustain and easier string changing"
Quote by shadowkamakazi
Well the prophecy series has Dirty finger pickups or EMG 81/85 which I've read are both very good Pups. The tuners are Grover...not sure if that's good or not. And the bridge is "LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece for more sustain and easier string changing"

Dirty Fingers are REALLY muddy, and EMGs don't really prove their worth unless used with a naturally hi-gain tube amp. Grover makes good tuners. Jimmy Page has them on both of his original Les Pauls, #1 and #2.
What do you mean by Muddy? That sounds bad....and that's the first bad thing I've heard about them. They also have single coil tapping btw.
Just wanted to add, that even with the faults I listed with my Epi Strat, I really, really love that guitar, heh.
Quote by shadowkamakazi
They don't sell epi strats anymore, so that's out of the question.

Muddy, as in they have poor clarity. Basically, you won't really be able to tell notes from one another if playing chords or playing very very fast.
Quote by shadowkamakazi
They don't sell epi strats anymore, so that's out of the question.

I wasn't trying to tell you to get an EPi strat, sorry if it came off that way. My post above seemed pretty harsh on Epis, and I wanted to throw in the fact that I liked the guitar despite its warts.
Quote by Commodor 64
Michael Kelly's are nice, and would save you a bit of money. I think they compare very well to the guitars you have listed. I do own an MK (Patriot Q)...it's a very nice guitar (very heavy though ~ 10lbs). The action is nice and low and it plays great. Gc Carries Them

Even cheaper, a lot of folks have great things to say about the GFS Xavier guitars: Check them out.

get a friggen michael kelly!!!
seriously, I have a Michael Kelly JZ pheonix, hand made in america, around 60 ever made, discontinued in '06. big hollow body, one of the best guitars I have played. get a MK...
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
If you like the Epiphones, get an Agile. They're Gibson quality, but for a fraction of a price.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
So I started to look at some additional guitars, other then just the epiphones. ESP's and Schecters look nice. Good guitars?

Here are the specifics I'm looking at. Some are a bit cheeper, since I do need to buy an amp too, so I could just use the savings for a better one. And my budget might be going down...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=516629V
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC401VF-Electric-Guitar?sku=580200
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Omen-Extreme-6-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=529002
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Plus-Electric-Guitar?sku=513010

Thank you for all your suggestions! I am looking at all suggestions you give me, as well as receiving suggestions like the new guitars I just posted above from RL friends.
While obviously not the primary factor in purchasing guitars, looks is still important to me and PRS just don't...look right to me. I'll certainly try it out some time at Guitar Center, and if the sound blows me away who knows ;D

Boy I hope my guitar center peeps are nice...I got quite a list of potential guitars I want to try....I've never actually been to one either
Nice find, similar to another ESP I was looking at but with Seymour Duncans....I heard they're pretty good Pickups
I think Shecters offer a good value for the price you pay. The finishes and pickups that come in their guitars are great for the money. The first LTD model that has the Les Paul look is really nice and the EMG 81/60 that come in it are the same combo that Metallica uses in their sig models or at least in the James Hetfield model. It would probably depend on what sound you really want to focus on but I also like the prophecy models you posted about first. If the LP Prophecy was at the SG Prophecy price then I'd be sold. I'm really starting to like the SG's because you get just as much guitar that you would get with the Les Paul model at a cheaper price. That's how it seems to me at least. That SG Prophecy is dead sexy to me. Have fun deciding and good luck!
Thanks, I've really been turned on to the Prophecy, but the price is a bit high, and I've heard you basically pay for the Epiphone brand, so I thought I'd start looking at a few others. My tone is basically hard, heavy rock. Think Red, Skillet, Older Kutless, Flyleaf, Pillar, Creed, Guns' N Roses, BFMV, All that remains. Stuff like that.