argh its a pain

can someone advise me please?

im practising simple 3 string sweeps to start off with

----19-15-------------15-19----
------------17-----17------------
----------------16----------------

stuff like that

however whenever i move my finger from the 16th, the string always buzzes and makes the whole sweep sound like shit

how do i avoid this? surely i cant be the only one to have experienced this problem

iv only just started practising sweeping so please don't waste your time posting derogatory comments

cheers
Well u can first break it into little pieces but since it's so small u can't

My advice would be practising the riff very slowly till you get it , then increse the tempo

Typing errors i know , just ignore them ;D
"The difference between a man who has six children and a man who has six guitars? The man with six children KNOWS he has enough!"

AC/DC Rule and You know it!
practice makes perfect, make sure you move your picking hand slow and dont rush it, also do a down stroke on the first note
crypticslaughtr wrote:
WOOT WOOT HIT THE LIGHTS!!! I LOVE MEGADETH!!!!11111

I pay for my music
Anything can be brutal if not practised right,
"The difference between a man who has six children and a man who has six guitars? The man with six children KNOWS he has enough!"

AC/DC Rule and You know it!
Many guitarists tend to actively mute the string they've just played during a sweep, right before they hit the next one, using their palm, or sometimes their fingers. I hate giving this advice, but when it comes to something as mechanical as sweeping, you just have to slow it down to allow for your muscle memory to pick it all up. You are most likely doing too much of a pull off when letting the 16th fret go, thus making the open string sound. Try a more rolling approach to your letting go of the 16th fret, and you might just get it right. Slowing it down will allow you to eliminate that noise from your sweeps for good, as you learn the proper technique right from the get go.

Also, I would like to add that sweeping is difficult to learn. It's a difficult way to use two techniques that you are hopefully somewhat familiar with, and it's definitely not done over night. Just as with your alternating precision, this will need practice over time.

I hope this helps a little!
Quote by Jcruik

however whenever i move my finger from the 16th, the string always buzzes and makes the whole sweep sound like shit

Use your palm to mute the string or rest the finger on the string
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
It seems to me like for that figure you would assign one finger to each note/string combination -
pinky = B on the 19th fret
index = G on the 15th fret
ring = E on the 17th fret
middle = B on the 16th fret

So I can't see why a finger would ever have to be moved (at least during that sequence. I would do the picking D U U D D D U maybe, but that would depend on what the rhythm is.

What time/subdivision is this supposed to be in? It's somewhat odd to see a seven note figure.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
It seems to me like for that figure you would assign one finger to each note/string combination -

So I can't see why a finger would ever have to be moved (at least during that sequence. I would do the picking D U U D D D U maybe, but that would depend on what the rhythm is.

What time/subdivision is this supposed to be in? It's somewhat odd to see a seven note figure.

He means when he removes his finger from the 16th fret the string rings out.

TS: Use your right hand to mute strings when doing an ascending sweep.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
He means when he removes his finger from the 16th fret the string rings out.

TS: Use your right hand to mute strings when doing an ascending sweep.

I don't see why the finger that fretted the note just a second ago can't be used to mute it. Seems to me like it's already right there and has no where else it needs to go. Of course, we don't know what comes after this figure, but in classic shred fashion it'll probably be the same thing all over again. If that's the case, moving it would seem counterproductive.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D

It't not seven, the last note 19E, is the start of the pattern again. From what I can tell, it sounds like the solo to Metallica's Leper Messiah, ca 150bpm (in 4/4), half-time triplet feel. 4/4 or 6/4 depending on wether or not you play them as triplets.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by SinnaSatan
It't not seven, the last note 19E, is the start of the pattern again. From what I can tell, it sounds like the solo to Metallica's Leper Messiah, ca 150bpm (in 4/4), half-time triplet feel. 4/4 or 6/4 depending on wether or not you play them as triplets.

Ok, then I would have to pick it differently, because I'd want to get turned around so the beat was a downsroke so the pattern repeated. (D U U D D U) and the start back on the D would probably do it. Trying to get the 3-long sweeps seems counterproductive here.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

sweeps are a bitch to learn. you really do have to just go incredibly slow to get it down, then SLOWLY increase the tempo until you can play it really well.
Quote by God
i lol'd
Quote by Even Bigger D

yer thats what i do in regards to the finger assignment. i mean when i lift it off the string to dead the note so it doesnt just sound like a chord
Quote by SinnaSatan

its actually from eye of the storm by bullet for my valentine, sorry but i dont know the time signature or bpm. my closest guess is that its in 4/4
Quote by Jcruik
yer thats what i do in regards to the finger assignment. i mean when i lift it off the string to dead the note so it doesnt just sound like a chord

Maybe you're lifting too far?

That finger should go from fretting to muting.

I would suggest figuring out how the pattern fits into the rhythm of the song - is it six notes per beat, or what. Otherwise, you'll never be able to play it right.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

I honestly had more trouble getting my 3 string sweeps down than 5 string sweeps. I found it a LOT easier to mute when doing five string sweeps. Give some of those a try just for the heck of it. It helps when you've got more than three strings to work with.
Those sweeps took me a year before i figured out the right way to do them. You have to let your firger off every note when you hit the string. I think your problem is you are letting your finger off the string too fast. Keep your finger on the string after you let off the note so its muted when you hit the b string, then take your finger off the string when you hit the high e string. I hope that helps.
For minor arpeggios like those, I actually use only 3 Fingers, my Pinky, Middle, and Index. It allows me to easily switch between Major and Minor arpeggios, because I don't get jumbled using the same fingers.

Actually, that fingering just felt easier at the Time. :p
It seems to me like for that figure you would assign one finger to each note/string combination...

Sure, a few people are suggesting finger-per-fret and in isolation that works fine. I tend to see this thing as the top part of a "C shape" 2 octave arpeggio in which case that fingering doesn't work any more. As you come across this shape frequently in both forms I'd practice it only that way to avoid your muscle memory occasionally "fetching" the wrong information.

Threadstarter, that note shouldn't ring because -

A) You should be lifting your fingers noiselessly.
B) You should be muting that string with your palm by the time your pick reaches the high E.

Make it so.

Incidentally, is that an arpeggio or a scale or what?
i think you said something about string buzzing... i have the same problem with my LTD. any playing past the 12th fret gets really buzzy and i cant practice my sweeps on it. i learned how to sweep by playing the song Revelations by The Crimson Armada, now wether or not your into the hardcore music thing, they are incredibly talented guitarists and you can learn alot from them
disasterpiece
Quote by Freepower
is that an arpeggio or a scale or what?

I think its a major 7th arpeggio.
looks like ~half of the sweep from conquer all by behemoth ^^
(which I just learned to play )
Quote by Shinn
sweeps are a bitch to learn. you really do have to just go incredibly slow to get it down, then SLOWLY increase the tempo until you can play it really well.

I'll agree. In the short time I've been playing I've been practicing everything all around, and the one thing that I still suck major balls at is, you guessed it, sweep picking.

Timing and muting are absolutely essential. Both are extremely hard to accomplish, muting in particular for me. It takes a shit ton of practice to get it down. Work at it, and you'll get it.
You have to use the palm of your hand to mute the 16th immediately after it's released. Also try to use your fretting hand to come against it as well. I had this same problem. I fixed it by slowly (and I do mean slowly) practicing using both the palm of my picking hand and an adjacent finger on my fretting hand to mute.

It's hard work but you'll accomplish it soon enough with some good practice.
It sounds like you haven't quite got the trick to deadening notes as you release down yet. It's a very subtle thing that develops over time as a habit and it takes care of a lot of muting - it doesnt replace the need to mute with your right hand/other left hand fingers, but it gives you a heck of a head start.
It's a little hard to explain but I'll try.
1) Fret a note and pick it.
2) Relax your fretting hand finger just enough so that there is no longer enough pressure for the note to sound.
3) Now remove the finger.

I've written 2) and 3) as one step, but after you've got it down it feels like one action.
I'd practice a little bit playing random notes, trying to find the feel of deadening then releasing, then maybe run some scales very slowly that way to try and build the habit.
Quote by Freepower
It's a straight minor arpeggio.

I was asking to check if the TS knew what he was getting into.

Well it could be a major 7th without a root...
Quote by hippieboy444
Well it could be a major 7th without a root...

or it could be the obvious thing, but that ain't much fun

Just figure out which fingering is most comfortable for you to do, then slooowly but steadily speed it up. I actually think that song is nice for people to start practising 3 string sweeps.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.