I saw a JSX head on craigslist for $450. I want better tone than a metalzone pedal. I want a tone like Children of bodom and other melodic death metal bands. What do you guys think? Good price? Good amp for the tone I want?
A JSX head for $450 is a pretty good bargain. It's a little bright sounding IMO but with the right EQing and the right cab, it certainly has the gain and should have the ability to get the tones you're looking for.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I owned one for a few years and could never get a truly good metal from it. Thats a great deal on a very nice and versatile head. It will sound good for just about any genre of music with enough equipment and pedals but not out of the box.

At this point any tube amp would be a huge upgrade in tone for you. The problem with tube amps though is that you will spend alot of time and money trying to tweak it to your needs.

A EQ, noise suppressor and compressor are going to be items you will want very soon after getting your head.These btw are things i think every guitarist should have hooked up to his rig.

A peavey 5150(or 6505) is a really good beginners metal amp. You can find one in that price range as an alternative. Play both pick what you like.
jsx works for metal, just eq it right, mabe use a eq pedal, its basicaly a xxx with some extra features and i think el34 instead of 6l6
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by Rahguzar
I owned one for a few years and could never get a truly good metal from it. Thats a great deal on a very nice and versatile head. It will sound good for just about any genre of music with enough equipment and pedals but not out of the box.

At this point any tube amp would be a huge upgrade in tone for you. The problem with tube amps though is that you will spend alot of time and money trying to tweak it to your needs.

A EQ, noise suppressor and compressor are going to be items you will want very soon after getting your head.These btw are things i think every guitarist should have hooked up to his rig.

A peavey 5150(or 6505) is a really good beginners metal amp. You can find one in that price range as an alternative. Play both pick what you like.

Not disagreeing with your post, but I think the OP should buy this amp anyway. If he doesn't like it, he can definitely flip it. $450 is a bargain for a JSX head - he can easily make money off it if he re-sells.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I considered one of these when I was looking for a tube amp. It's a great head, found it to be very versatile. I didn't find it to be quite as "gainy" as other amps but the tone was there and I think that's very important. Toss and overdrive in front of it and an EQ and you should be fine. Also, that's a damn good price for one.
Quote by Rahguzar

Why would he want a compressor? There is no need for one if you are talking about high gain tones. Unless you are talking about a Keeley 4 knob compressor and using it the way bulb from periphery does it's just gonna make the amp extremely noisy and sterile.

The biggest improvement to the amp tone wise would be an overdrive pedal to tighten it up and add a little sizzle. But trust me, YOU NEED TO BUY THIS NOW! That is an incredible deal on a great amp.

Don't worry about it sounding good for Metal, no it isn't a Diezel VH4 but it's got more than enough gain on tap and is extremely versatile. Lots of Metal bands use the JSX, Charles from Cradle of Filth, Ryan Knight from The Black Dahlia Murder uses them sometimes. And countless producers use them in the studio.

If it is overly noisy at first get a noise gate, if the tone isn't absolutely what you want, experiment with OD Pedals and maybe an MXR 10 Band EQ. It's perfect for Melo-Death, your not looking for Dying Fetus/Suffocation type tones so the EL34's and overall smooth character of the amp should suit you.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by DrNick
Not disagreeing with your post, but I think the OP should buy this amp anyway. If he doesn't like it, he can definitely flip it. $450 is a bargain for a JSX head - he can easily make money off it if he re-sells.

Considering the OP is using a metalzone i agree. A JSX is a great amp and for that price its a worthy investment.

I just hope he's not disappointed if its not "metal" enough for him.
Quote by Necrophagist777
Why would he want a compressor? There is no need for one if you are talking about high gain tones. Unless you are talking about a Keeley 4 knob compressor and using it the way bulb from periphery does it's just gonna make the amp extremely noisy and sterile.

The biggest improvement to the amp tone wise would be an overdrive pedal to tighten it up and add a little sizzle. But trust me, YOU NEED TO BUY THIS NOW! That is an incredible deal on a great amp.

Don't worry about it sounding good for Metal, no it isn't a Diezel VH4 but it's got more than enough gain on tap and is extremely versatile. Lots of Metal bands use the JSX, Charles from Cradle of Filth, Ryan Knight from The Black Dahlia Murder uses them sometimes. And countless producers use them in the studio.

If it is overly noisy at first get a noise gate, if the tone isn't absolutely what you want, experiment with OD Pedals and maybe an MXR 10 Band EQ. It's perfect for Melo-Death, your not looking for Dying Fetus/Suffocation type tones so the EL34's and overall smooth character of the amp should suit you.

Btw the JSX has a "Noise Gate" on it but it doesn't do jack.

The JSX can be biased for both EL34s and 6l6s. I recommend changing the tubes to 6l6s if you have metal in mind.
Quote by Rahguzar
Considering the OP is using a metalzone i agree. A JSX is a great amp and for that price its a worthy investment.

I just hope he's not disappointed if its not "metal" enough for him.

don't under estimate what metal I like. I listen to the heaviest stuff I can find. I did a google search a while ago looking for heavier bands and was pissed off because I was already listening to them.

I have tried several diff pedalls and looked around for a better amp but nothing has met my tone needs so far. The only thing I like about the metalzone is the amount of gain it has.
I don't have any experience with tube amps. Lots of my playing is home practice. I hate practicing loud because it hurts my ears. I have always thought that being tough and not paying attentinon to when something is too loud is retarded.

Will I have to crank the amp up really loud to get a lot of gain on the ultra channel?

How much for a cab? Will a 2x12 work? Don't have tons of space.
Quote by Necrophagist777

yea a smooth tone with tons of gain if that's possible. Would I be able to boost it a little if I wanted a little more gain? I really don't know how much gain it has at this point.
the guy said the channel selector switch on the amp doesn't work but you can switch it with the foot switch. Thoughts?
Quote by COBHCHCDR
yea a smooth tone with tons of gain if that's possible. Would I be able to boost it a little if I wanted a little more gain? I really don't know how much gain it has at this point.

More than enough, too much even.
Most people who can't get a good metal tone are actually using too much gain.
If you listen to something you find really 'heavy', it's almost certainly not the amount of distortion that makes it that way - it's the guitar (eg. baritone, or drop tuning) and most crucially, the production.
Dialing back the gain gets rid of some of the compression, and gives you more of the clarity and punch you need for metal playing.

A 2x12 cab will be great - occasionally even a little better than a 4x12 for ultra-br00tz tones, due to a tighter bass. And you'll get a pretty good sound out of the JSX at bedroom volume, though like all amps it'll sound better at gigs.

Anyway, overall the JSX isn't the greatest metal amp going (Satch is very into vintage tones, and gets most of his gain from a pedal), but for the price it's a great choice.
Quote by COBHCHCDR
the guy said the channel selector switch on the amp doesn't work but you can switch it with the foot switch. Thoughts?

I would think that would only be an issue if the footswitch didn't work. Personally, I'd rather not have to touch the amp head anyway when changing channels. Besides, that should be a relatively easy fix if you ever decided to fix it. The money you are saving on this deal would more than pay for that along with an EQ pedal and EL34 tubes if you wanted.
holy christ, $450 for that???

in my piece of shit city.. used 6505 combos still go for like.. $750

EVEN if they have beer stains, stink like cigarettes, weed, and need a tube change..

Jump on that. if you don't like it, you could easily get your money back or even a bit more for it after you fix the selector switch problem
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by kyle62
If you listen to something you find really 'heavy', it's almost certainly not the amount of distortion that makes it that way - it's the guitar (eg. baritone, or drop tuning) and most crucially, the production.
Dialing back the gain gets rid of some of the compression, and gives you more of the clarity and punch you need for metal playing.

yea i would agree. Hard to get a heavy sound out of standard tuning.
Quote by COBHCHCDR

I've never had a problem getting a heavy sound out of my JSX. Hell, I could get a heavy sound out of a Strat without even needing to get the gain past 11:00. Mind you I do have 6L6s in mine.

But seriously. don't worry about gain. It's got more than you could ever possibly need.
Quote by COBHCHCDR
I saw a JSX head on craigslist for $450. I want better tone than a metalzone pedal. I want a tone like Children of bodom and other melodic death metal bands. What do you guys think? Good price? Good amp for the tone I want?

Christopher Ammott used it on Arch Enemy's Rise of the Tyrant. And for Bodom tones you just need an 80's style distortion with mids and treble maxed on the preamp, so you should be able to use it for those things.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Definitely a good buy. You might need an OD depending on your guitar/pickups/style/whatever, but stock the JSX sounds GREAT for metal IMO, especially if you play lead
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by COBHCHCDR

Low tunings dosen't equal heavy.

Grab that JSx, should be great for metal at that price.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Low tunings dosen't equal heavy.

Grab that JSx, should be great for metal at that price.

+1

Listen to some Pestilence, heavy as balls and in standard.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Take it from someone who has owned a JSX for 5 years. IT EASILY DOES METAL.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by COBHCHCDR
Uhh no.

Warbringer, Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, and Evile would disagree. (some of them are tuned to E Flat, but that's not really tuning down)
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Uhh no.

Warbringer, Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, and Evile would disagree. (some of them are tuned to E Flat, but that's not really tuning down)

that's not what I meant. Slayer, Metallica, Antrhax all have a very aggressive tone. Matter of personal opinion. I like down tuning. I believe it makes the guitar sound heavier. If you don't what the ****.
what the hell is with this damn forum it bleebs out your swear words? Stupid cunts.
The swear filter can easily be bypassed if you know how to do it

Anyway, go for the JSX, it's probably the best thing you can get for extreme metal in that price range excluding an Ampeg VH140c.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by kyle62

this - my guitar teacher uses an old Vox AC30 top boost and even he can get a passable early Metallica tone by jacking up the gain, downtuning a semitone and raising the bass.
Heads up on the broken channel selector.

The JSX ONLY changes channels via footswitch when the selector switch is on "Ultra" (pretty sure i'm right though i sold mine a while ago).

The footswitch will work just dandy if the selector switch is set to "Ultra" at all times.If it is not its essentially useless.
Quote by COBHCHCDR
what the hell is with this damn forum it bleebs out your fuck words? Stupid cunts.
As most have pointed out, that's an awesome buy. I thought the 2nd JSX I snagged for $500 was a steal - forget that it's mint, etc. Also, buy a nice 7 string, since you obviously have the hunting skills.

JSX's are pretty amazing.
I played one at Guitar Center after I got my Ultra Plus.
I prefer the JSX, but hell, my Ultra Plus was my first tube, I still love it
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.