Ok, I have a 1967 Bassman head that I thouroghly enjoy plugging into my friend's Peavey SS combo. I have heard on here that plugging the speaker jack from the head into the instrument input on the combo is bad for my head, because there is voltage trapped inside the head and needs to have a dummy load to dissipate to or I can damage my tubes. I'm still unsure exactly how to do this and what it is.

I would like to not destroy my $3000 amp lol. So, UGers, give me some advice on how to create a dummy load.

P.S. I heard plugging the head directly into the speaker will work, but I'm not sure how to do that either.
Last edited by foob85 at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by foob85
Ok, I have a 1967 Bassman head that I thouroghly enjoy plugging into my friend's Peavey SS combo. I have heard on here that plugging the speaker jack from the head into the instrument input on the combo is bad for my head, because there is voltage trapped inside the head and needs to have a dummy load to dissipate to or I can damage my tubes. I'm still unsure exactly how to do this and what it is.

I would like to not destroy my $3000 amp lol. So, UGers, give me some advice on how to create a dummy load.

P.S. I heard plugging the head directly into the speaker will work, but I'm not sure how to do that either.

Best be trollin'.
Quote by imicius
Best be trollin'.

Nah, Peavey's speakers sound sweet. It is a Peavey bass combo, anyway.
Quote by foob85
Nah, Peavey's speakers sound sweet. It is a Peavey bass combo, anyway.

So your signal chain looks like this, correct?

Guitar ->
Bassman ->
Instrument input on a Peavey combo
Quote by foob85

Ok, first off, plugging your speaker out into the imput of an amp is bad on so many levels for both amps.

It doesn't damage your tubes directly, it damages your transformer. Which is a MUCH bigger deal.

3rd... at a $3000 Bassman.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
K, to imicus: yes.

To TheRectified, that's how much I payed for it. I bought a while ago when the market for them was high. And I asked for help, not to be mocked.
Quote by foob85

To TheRectified, that's how much I payed for it. I bought a while ago when the market for them was high. And I asked for help, not to be mocked.

Ok.

As has already been said, don't plug tube amps into instrument inputs; it will wear out the OT which you don't want.

Are you dead set on running this amp through the bass combo? It would be much simpler to get a cab, and would very likely sound better.

If you are dead set on wiring the bass combo as a speaker, we need to know what the speaker(s) are rated for in terms of wattage, as well as the Ohm values of the speaker(s) to make sure nothing explodes.
Quote by foob85

I'm just laughing because I have never seen a Bassman go for that much. Even a mint condition Blonde.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Quote by WtrPlyr
^Maybe he's from Australia.

But yeah, if you pay $3000 for an amp you should know better than plugging it into the instrument input of a combo.

I saw Portland, OR in his sig and assumed....

Bingo.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
A quick look on eBay shows one about at $7k BIN...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Bassman-Vintage-1959-1950s-Tweed-50s_W0QQitemZ120505216421QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0eabada5

I know it's not nearly the same as TS's, but still, they're up there...
If he paid what he thought it was worth to him, well, that's capitalism, baby!

ANYWAY:
Just unplug the speakers from the Peavey, and plug them into the Bassman.
Watch the power handling (though Ihink you'll be fine, considering the Peav is a bass amp), and MAKE SURE the impedance matches!
Quote by Rutch
A quick look on eBay shows one about at $7k BIN...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Bassman-Vintage-1959-1950s-Tweed-50s_W0QQitemZ120505216421QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0eabada5

I know it's not nearly the same as TS's, but still, they're up there...
If he paid what he thought it was worth to him, well, that's capitalism, baby!

ANYWAY:
Just unplug the speakers from the Peavey, and plug them into the Bassman.
Watch the power handling (though Ihink you'll be fine, considering the Peav is a bass amp), and MAKE SURE the impedance matches!

Thats a tweed combo, which is also on the high side.

He's talking a '67 AB165 head.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
You don't deserve to have that head. How did you manage to spend $3000 on an amp, and learn nothing about amps along the way?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!