Page 1 of 5
okay, here's the story. Here in Canada, some enviromental radicalists cut down a canadian flag and dipped in in some soert of oil, in response to the emmisions from the Alberta tar sands. i can kind of understand where they are coming from, but to defile a national flag is going to far and it is offensive to me, as a candaian.
what are your views?
I think the searchbar flag is helpful...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.

It's just a flag, get the **** over it.
Your country's disgraceful carbon emissions are something you should be far more offensive to you as a Canadian.

...You should be happy that even searching "Burning Canadian flag" on Google brings up only two pictures of burning Canadian flags and a whole shitload of pictures of burning USA flags.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
unless it was your own personal canadian flag outside your home, get over it.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
You may not have seen it when searching (assuming you searched for it, that is) because the other guy tried to be cool and spell everything with a K at the beginning of it.

However, that thread turned into a big bitch fit over who did what during WWII, so I'm not too sure about starting another one.
It's a piece of cloth that represents an abstract and largely constructed idea about a group of people who happen to live in roughly the same area.

Get over it.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

It's just a flag, get the **** over it.
Your country's disgraceful carbon emissions are something you should be far more offensive to you as a Canadian.

It's just co2, get the **** over it.
Quote by JDawg

It's just co2, get the **** over it.

Except that Global Climate change is actually a serious problem with serious and very real consequences for people.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Flags are overrated. I appreciate what they represent, but so many people act like a part of their soul has been burnt with their flag. I guess where I come from we aren't that patriotic though.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Except that Global Climate change is actually a serious problem with serious and very real consequences for people.

Except it's not. There's not going to be consequences, just results from mostly natural cycles that are unstoppable.
I don't care about the environment because I have better things to do with my time.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by JDawg
Except it's not. There's not going to be consequences, just results from mostly natural cycles that are unstoppable.

The vast consensus based on the evidence is that it is not a natural cycle and that it is likely caused by human activity. No major scientific organisation of national or international standing has issued a contravening statement.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by JDawg

Kent Hovid? Is that you?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
The vast consensus based on the evidence is that it is not a natural cycle and that it is likely caused by human activity. No major scientific organisation of national or international standing has issued a contravening statement.

Either that or normal people just don't care.

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by Ur all $h1t

If only I had a nickle for everytime I heard that lie.
Quote by JDawg
If only I had a nickle for everytime I heard that lie.

In what way is it a lie.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
In what way is it a lie.

It's not a scientific consesus. There is no agreement among all scientists that "global warming" is caused by man.
I saw this on the news, the riot police got kinda out of hand. Like they actually beat up a t 12 year old girl.
I'm, as you might've told, against this whole global warming thing because I really can't be bothered with it, but I can only see good things from it for me.

First off, I don't think the sea levels will rise, because if the Arctic ice cap does melt, then that ice is just displacing the water anyway, so the levels should stay the same. But, water expands when it becomes ice, so the levels should recede, although I'm most probably wrong.

Also, if Britain ends up with a mediterranean climate, this is also a good thing. We won't have to go anywhere on holiday, we'll have some good weather for once and we won't have to import more tropical plants anymore.

I also don't beleve that anything the developed world can do will be able to cancel out any pollution that is made by the developing world, which we can't stop them from doing; if we can develop, why can't they?

These things have led me to believe that it's all just a bunch of hippie hype and shouldn't be our main priority if there actually is a problem.

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
Quote by JDawg
It's not a scientific consesus. There is no agreement among all scientists that "global warming" is caused by man.

Consensus implies general agreement, not necessarily unanimity.
There certianly is a consensus, you haven't yet shown me where the dissenters are.

Since 2007, no scientific body of national or international standing has maintained a dissenting opinion. Some organisations hold non-committal positions. Every single National Academy of Science in industrialised countries holds the view that Global Climate change is occurring and is likely caused by human actions.

"The nature of science is such that there is rarely total agreement among scientists. Individual scientific statements and papers—the validity of some of which has yet to be assessed adequately—can be exploited in the policy debate and can leave the impression that the scientific community is sharply divided on issues where there is, in reality, a strong scientific consensus.... IPCC assessment reports are prepared at approximately five-year intervals by a large international group of experts who represent the broad range of expertise and perspectives relevant to the issues. The reports strive to reflect a consensus evaluation of the results of the full body of peer-reviewed research.... They provide an analysis of what is known and not known, the degree of consensus, and some indication of the degree of confidence that can be placed on the various statements and conclusions."
-American Meteorological Society, 2003

"The conclusions in this statement reflect the scientific consensus represented by, for example, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, and the Joint National Academies' statement."
American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2006
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I love it when fundies are consistently fundamental on EVERY view possible.... Do you consult some kind of fundie book before you form opinions?

hmm... abortion... page 70... "god says it's wrong"
hmm... global warming... "god says it's a lie"
maybe there is something beyond normal cycles happening, maybe not, i haven't looked into it, but i've yet to be presented with undeniable truth that it is happening and a serious threat, therefore I deny it.

^lol, look, someone stayed true to their beliefs, what asshats.
Quote by SlipknotRule93
I'm, as you might've told, against this whole global warming thing because I really can't be bothered with it, but I can only see good things from it for me.

First off, I don't think the sea levels will rise, because if the Arctic ice cap does melt, then that ice is just displacing the water anyway, so the levels should stay the same. But, water expands when it becomes ice, so the levels should recede, although I'm most probably wrong.

1)Antarctica
2)The huge amount of the Arctic ice shelf that is not floating on the water, See: Greenland

Also, if Britain ends up with a mediterranean climate, this is also a good thing. We won't have to go anywhere on holiday, we'll have some good weather for once and we won't have to import more tropical plants anymore.

You're more likely to just end up with more extreme weather. Plus Britain is affected by th rest of the world too, believe it or not.

I also don't beleve that anything the developed world can do will be able to cancel out any pollution that is made by the developing world, which we can't stop them from doing; if we can develop, why can't they?

They can develop in a different way than we did. Nuclear power and green technologies didn't exist when we were developing, they will exist for the developing world to use.
These things have led me to believe that it's all just a bunch of hippie hype and shouldn't be our main priority if there actually is a problem.

Ya, you're wrong.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by sglover34479
maybe there is something beyond normal cycles happening, maybe not, i haven't looked into it, but i've yet to be presented with undeniable truth that it is happening and a serious threat, therefore I deny it.

Staying true to your beliefs while mountains of evidence builds up to contradict them is, you know, stupid.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Consensus implies general agreement, not necessarily unanimity.
There certianly is a consensus, you haven't yet shown me where the dissenters are.

Since 2007, no scientific body of national or international standing has maintained a dissenting opinion. Some organisations hold non-committal positions. Every single National Academy of Science in industrialised countries holds the view that Global Climate change is occurring and is likely caused by human actions.

"The nature of science is such that there is rarely total agreement among scientists. Individual scientific statements and papers—the validity of some of which has yet to be assessed adequately—can be exploited in the policy debate and can leave the impression that the scientific community is sharply divided on issues where there is, in reality, a strong scientific consensus.... IPCC assessment reports are prepared at approximately five-year intervals by a large international group of experts who represent the broad range of expertise and perspectives relevant to the issues. The reports strive to reflect a consensus evaluation of the results of the full body of peer-reviewed research.... They provide an analysis of what is known and not known, the degree of consensus, and some indication of the degree of confidence that can be placed on the various statements and conclusions."
-American Meteorological Society, 2003

"The conclusions in this statement reflect the scientific consensus represented by, for example, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, and the Joint National Academies' statement."
American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2006

That's nice. Glad to see we have a well biased scientific orginization with hand picked scientists by the UN to provide us with a consensus and damn anyone with an opposing view. Sounds reliable to me.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Staying true to your beliefs while mountains of evidence builds up to contradict them is, you know, stupid.

Hear hear. I'm beginning to tire of people overlooking peer review.

Quote by JDawg
That's nice. Glad to see we have a well biased scientific orginization with hand picked scientists by the UN to provide us with a consensus and damn anyone with an opposing view. Sounds reliable to me.

There's no such thing as a biased scientific organisation, you total douche. Either a paper is scientific, sound, complete, or it isn't. It's up to all of the scientific community to vet papers, especially as climate change is such an important issue.

If you don't like peer review please suggest a better system. Until then, stfu. Every climate-change denial story from Fox or whatever (including the leaked emails) have been thoroughly debunked. You don't have a leg to stand on...
Last edited by Stormx at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by dragonbanger
to defile a national flag is going to far

Raping and murdering children is going too far, ****ing up some flag is more of a laugh.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I know, the point i was making is that no matter what people just keep criticizing, they stay true and there are posts like that, they reject them and someone else will call them a hypocrite, just leave people be with what they believe.
Quote by SlipknotRule93

You're right, the melting ice in the water wont make the sea level rise. It's the ice on land that everyone is concerned about. The Antarctic ice sheet is something like 5km thick. If that melted and then drained into the ocean, we would have a major issue.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by sglover34479

Yeah, staying true to your beliefs when you are presented with overwhelming undeniable evidence to the contrary is pretty silly.
Quote by Callum89
Raping and murdering children is going too far, ****ing up some flag is more of a laugh.

Personally, I'd have wiped my arse with it first. Or possibly used it to mop up after interfering with myself.
Quote by sglover34479
I know, the point i was making is that no matter what people just keep criticizing, they stay true and there are posts like that, they reject them and someone else will call them a hypocrite, just leave people be with what they believe.

You can't let them believe what they want because people will die.
Quote by JDawg
You can't let them believe what they want because people will die.

People will die from climate change.
Page 1 of 5