So I have been getting serious about my practice recently and have hit a.....problem.I'm not completly sure how to practice chords. What I have been doing is just picking up a few guitar magazines a day and learn a few chords from songs and then I keep practicing them but that doesnt help with me putting together my own rhythms so any advice.

I did do a search before making this topic and someone said you should put together random progressions of all the chords you know and be able to switch from one to another fluently and slowly with a metronome. I think thats a step in the right direction, but do you guys have any more advice?
I just practice switching from one chord to another. Keep it random to help build skill in switiching to and from all instead of being stuck in one series of them. Also I recommend that you look into Chord progression so you can figure out what chord to play in your own music.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
learn songs that use the chords you're working on. practice those songs with a metronome.

and yes, you do need to switch between chords fluently with a metronome, that will come with practice.

if you want to make your own chord progressions, learning music theory helps a ton. i learned from musictheory.net, and various internet forums.

also i highly recommend getting guitar pro, that helped me a lot with understanding rhythms and learning/writing songs.
Do you know any theory behind chords or what chords sound good together?

i always find that when you have chords that sound good together it spurs you on to continue to play. i mean, when you play chords that don't go well together it makes you think something is wrong beacuse the sound generated isn't great.

so i think practise chords in certain keys at different tempos and maybe different time signatures, but keep it interesting and keep it fun!
Thanks! I think I will hop on that music theory train. I had been delaying it for some time now, but I guess I'm going to just have to start learning.

I know a little bit of theory but not much.
Last edited by RetroCaesar at Dec 17, 2009,
theres a coloum on this website called the ultimate guide to guitar, i highly recomend that. It makes basic theory very VERY easy to understand. It helped me alot,
Fluency in chords is easy. And here is the secret. PLAN AHEAD. Start making the next chord shape before you have to play it. I know that sounds obvious but you'd be surprised how many beginners don't think of it.
I suppose in detail you go chord - 2 - 3 - 4 move |chord in a simple 4 beat song. Do this with barre chords on E and A shapes and you'll soon get the fluency and timing in your head & hands.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Nice and slow, making sure every note that is supposed to sound rings out full.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
play the intro to hanger 18, how you learn to make the fewest movements needed to make the next chord change is a idea/tip for making other chord changes. gotta know the chords ahead of time and find the relations. hanger 18 went from impossible to wow this is easy once i learned how you only have to move a few fingers.