Hey guys I went amp testing today. After five years of playing with my horrible Ibanez starters amp I went amp testing today to maybe buy a new one because I can't stand the sound of it anymore. I was going to test the Line 6 Spider Valve MKII 1x12 and an Engl Screamer 50 combo. I hoped the Line 6 was going to be good because it has all the things on it I want to have as far as effects and bells and whistles go. Also the price of the Line 6 is a lot more managable.

The thing is the Line 6 sounded ok the first 30-60 minutes I tried it but only 1-2 amp models were ok out of the box and when i changed all the channels/amp models to check out the different tones it struck me that most of it sounded very fizzy and as if someone layed a towel over the amp. I wondered if this was because of the volume it was played at(master volume was at 8-9 o 'clock) or maybe because it was fairly new and the speaker wasn't broken in yet. The presets were horrible to my ears and I couldnt get a nice low/mid gain tone from it either, the cleans were decent and the lead sound was pretty good. I myself suck at EQing(I can tell differences really well but I don't know how to adjust it to the sound in my head) so i stopped playing the amp for a while and decided to check out the ENGL first before continueing with the Line 6 because I really wanted to like it but it was hard to get into. The ENGL sounded awesome, the cleans were really good right when i started playing it. After that i continued with the other channels, the low/mid gain tones were pretty good but I went to the lead channel real quick and it was better than I expected. I could get some really good tones out of the ENGL and was more impressed with the ENGL at first then I was with the Line 6(pretty logical). After that I decided to give the Line 6 another try and this time the amp sounded a lot better because one of my friends helped me eqing with some tones I tried to get out of it.

The verdict is obvious enough that the ENGL sounds better than the Line 6 except it has a lot less features and I still wonder if the fizzy sound of the Line 6 had to do with the new speaker(maybe) and the low volume. The thing that bugs me though is that the ENGL costs 350 euro more and I still have to buy all extra effects for it whereas the Line 6 comes with built in effects(looper, wah, EQ, noise gate, boost etc.)
My main question is if the Line 6 Will sound better if the speaker is broken in more and I buy an attenuator?
Sorry for the big wall of text and vague descriptions
It will sound better when the speaker breaks in, but that fizzyness in just the was the Spiders are.

Get the Engl.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
i though the Line 6 was decent enough when I played it...I liked the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 better though. The ENGL sounds better than both though.
if you test the engl again, then test it as loud as you are allowed to do. (bad english?)it really comes alive at louder volumes, because its 50 tube watts...
the voicing of those amps are completely different. With modeling You can get close to certain sounds, but the ENGL is pure tone. And it's amazing. If You can afford it get it.
go with the ENGL, its a much better amp and is the better choice if you have the budget to do so. the effects on the Spider can be useful but are very average. you won't regret getting the ENGL
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
i have noticed that a lot of the presets are set with a LOT of treble and or presence... often if you EQ and turn these things down (a lot) you get much more usable tones. I don't know who makes the presets over there at Line 6 but they need to be fired.
I haven't even heard the ENGL but I can tell you with all my confidence it will be better. I know tone is all subjective, but in all honesty I wouldn't feel comfortable advising you to get a spider.

I don't want to come off as a spider nazi(This makes no sense but you know what I mean), but I've had the spider before and it was ok when I was less experianced - but as soon as I bought my fender superchamp xd I realised what the guys on this site were talking about.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Small Line 6 combos are great for practice, but definitely lacking if you are going to gig with it. That having been said, plenty of people gig with their Line 6 amps and find them more than adequate. Still, I doubt that any Line 6 is going to compare to an Engl. If price isn't a problem, get the best amp you can afford - which in this case is the Engl. The Engl will also hold its value better if you decide to sell it.

There is no need for an attenuator with either of those amplifiers. Attenuators are designed for powerful all-tube amps that have no master volume, like the Marshall SLP.
Get the engl. DO IT! DO IT NOW!
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I already thought that everybody would advise the ENGL allthough not everybody seems to notice that this is the Spider VALVE I am talking about and not the normal Line 6 Spider amps. It's a tough decision for me to make right now because I like to mess around with effects alot and I like the usability and versatality of the Line 6 but I like the tone of the ENGL more. I'll have see what happens...

Quote by FatalGear41
Small Line 6 combos are great for practice, but definitely lacking if you are going to gig with it. That having been said, plenty of people gig with their Line 6 amps and find them more than adequate. Still, I doubt that any Line 6 is going to compare to an Engl. If price isn't a problem, get the best amp you can afford - which in this case is the Engl. The Engl will also hold its value better if you decide to sell it.

There is no need for an attenuator with either of those amplifiers. Attenuators are designed for powerful all-tube amps that have no master volume, like the Marshall SLP.

The Line 6 is a 40 watt tube amp and the ENGL is a 50 watt tube amp, if you want good tube saturation at low volume with that amount of wattage you need an attenuator, correct me if I'm wrong though. And besides that they are both very loud and certainly gig worthy.

Edit: I made a bid on a Dutch Ebay/Craigslist clone on an ENGL Screamer combo, I'll have to see if my bid gets accepted.
Last edited by Well Played at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by Well Played
I already thought that everybody would advise the ENGL allthough not everybody seems to notice that this is the Spider VALVE I am talking about and not the normal Line 6 Spider amps. It's a tough decision for me to make right now because I like to mess around with effects alot and I like the usability and versatality of the Line 6 but I like the tone of the ENGL more. I'll have see what happens...

The Line 6 is a 40 watt tube amp and the ENGL is a 50 watt tube amp, if you want good tube saturation at low volume with that amount of wattage you need an attenuator, correct me if I'm wrong though. And besides that they are both very loud and certainly gig worthy.

youll find that you wont be using the effects as much as you think you will. ENGL is still better
I was never very fond of the effects on my spider. They were cool for a while, but stompboxes are better sounding and more versatile.
i prefer the screamer to the spider valve, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?