So I have this, eh, Carvin bass amp, with a tube pre, and a solid state power amp, and I put them together and yeah.

The Carvin only has one tube, and it doesn't even have a name/brand/anything on it, so I'm gonna switch that out. I want something that's great for cleans but I can still open up into REALLY high gain.

As I was thinking about that, I thought maybe I could add another preamp tube or a few more or something, and have one or two low gain tubes for the clean and one or two high gain tubes for a distortion channel. (Since it's a bass amp it only has one channel )

I also stumbled upon Blackstar's tube distortion pedals, so, would it be more practical to buy something like that and use it, or (attempt to) build my own, inside of the Carvin. There's plenty of room inside as well, so no worries about that, but I have no idea how amps work at all (as you can probably tell) so, I figured I'd ask before I go wiring stuff and kill my amp . . .
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
For all intensive purposes adding tubes is impossible. I've heard great things about the blackstar pedals and that would essentially add a second preamp tube, I'd go that route.
As you said you really dont know what your doin, starting out rewiring a carvin and punching holes for tube sockets is not a good beginners task. And you would have to put a bigger power trans in it to supply extra tubes, etc.

The AX84 site has some nice plans for preamps if your in the mood to build something look at them.

But if your not happy with the hybrid carvin your best bet is to sell it and find something you like better.
^Yeah, I had figured it would be a bit more simpler . . .

I looked at the AX84 site and they only have heads, or at least I didn't see any preamps on there.

Although I suppose I'll just go with robertito969's suggestion of the pedal.

Thanks
Quote by Steve46

^a head consists of a preamp and poweramp in the same enclosure :/

they've got schematics for full projects (pre + power together), as well as 'building blocks' (seperate pre amps and poweramps, that can be matched for the tone and power output the builder's goign for)
Last edited by james4 at Dec 17, 2009,
I only saw heads (with pre and power amps) that were 5w, or something along those lines.

I wasn't looking too hard either, though, so don't hold me to that . . .
Quote by Steve46

wait, you say this is a bass amp, your using this for bass arent you? why would you need "really heavy gain" for a bass?

also, dont type like you talk. your first sentence put me off reading the rest of your post.
^Using it as a guitar head, since I don't want to dish out money for a real tube head, and I got this for free. I've used it in this circumstance before but the tube really needs to be replaced, since it's quite a few years old, and it probably wasn't very good to start with.

It has more EQ on it (9-band onboard graphic EQ, and it's also bi-amped) so I'd like to apply that to guitar, so that I can possibly make things clearer as far as tone goes. That's the reason I don't want to sell it, especially since I can get something like a Blackstar pedal or two and add more preamp tubes.
Quote by Steve46

Buy an LND150 from Supertex (available at Mouser), they are MOSFETs that are pretty much drop in replacements for 12AX7s. Go to AX84.com and search for Alethian Alex's LND150 boost mod.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
^I can't find anywhere to search for it on the site.

What would this do if I did it, as compared to just putting a new tube in?
Quote by Steve46

Last edited by ice condition at Dec 23, 2009,
^I've built that

it's pretty decent, but it doesnt sound any better than a SS-based overdrive/booster, really..

still a pretty decent circuit, though. I'd say it's worth building, just saying... it's not like a preamp or anything
Quote by ice condition
^I can't find anywhere to search for it on the site.

What would this do if I did it, as compared to just putting a new tube in?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Supertex/LND150N3-G/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMveMCOqFR6qCJgvFtNqkMFqcUttxJa5eGo%3d

On AX84, go to forums, search button on the bottom.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial