3 times
|---------------------------|----------------------------||
|---------------------------|----------------------------||
|-------------------0-------|---------------------------o||
|--------3--2---------3--2--|--------3--0------0-----0--o||
|-----2----------2----------|-----2----------0-----------||
|--0-----------0------------|--0-----------3------1------||
  PM...|      PM..|           PM...|      PM..|  PM

I'm trying to palm mute this ( i just started palm muting, infact this is where i started )

So my question is, is it a mistake that after the PM part is over and i play the 2-3 notes withuot my palm muting them, i then immediatly put my palm on the strings again, thus not letting the notes ( the ones without PM ) to ring out for long?
Last edited by Shinami at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Correct.

As in "Correct, that is a mistake" or "Your doing it Correctly" ?
There are no absolutes in the world of palm muting in my opinion. If it sounds good to you, go with it.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Ahh yes, Harvester of Sorrow...I recently learned that song as well. Basically, when it's clean I let the notes ring out, and when it goes dirty, I lay the entire fleshy part of my palm across the bridge to mute the notes so they don't ring out. It takes some practice to make it sound good. When you're playing the muted part, you have to pick the notes a little harder to get it to sound good. It takes some practice...don't get discouraged and keep practicing it.
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Quote by d4man
Ahh yes, Harvester of Sorrow...I recently learned that song as well. Basically, when it's clean I let the notes ring out, and when it goes dirty, I lay the entire fleshy part of my palm across the bridge to mute the notes so they don't ring out. It takes some practice to make it sound good. When you're playing the muted part, you have to pick the notes a little harder to get it to sound good. It takes some practice...don't get discouraged and keep practicing it.

Well i got past this part pretty quickly, its the verse riff with the power chord slides that screws me now, i don't know if I'm doing something wrong (probably am) or it's my amp ( financial crysis, can't afford a guitar amp so I'm playing through my pc speaker.) It sometimes sounds wrong. Now i started practicing as slowly as possible so i can make sure the slides are accurate, tho it's still taking forever to go up in the speed.
Quote by Shinami
Well i got past this part pretty quickly, its the verse riff with the power chord slides that screws me now, i don't know if I'm doing something wrong (probably am) or it's my amp ( financial crysis, can't afford a guitar amp so I'm playing through my pc speaker.) It sometimes sounds wrong. Now i started practicing as slowly as possible so i can make sure the slides are accurate, tho it's still taking forever to go up in the speed.

Don't give up, it took me moooonths to be able to do those slides!!! Playing Master of Puppets might help with those slides....practice practice practice
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Quote by Shinami

I'm trying to palm mute this ( i just started palm muting, infact this is where i started )

So my question is, is it a mistake that after the PM part is over and i play the 2-3 notes withuot my palm muting them, i then immediatly put my palm on the strings again, thus not letting the notes ( the ones without PM ) to ring out for long?

Which way do you want it to sound? What does the music in question demand?
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
you are doing correct mate but harvester of sorrows shouldnt be a your first palm mute exercise

and that tab isnt perfectly accurate, some notes are incorrect and there need to be some let rings
Quote by Rangor6363
you are doing correct mate but harvester of sorrows shouldnt be a your first palm mute exercise

and that tab isnt perfectly accurate, some notes are incorrect and there need to be some let rings

The notes sound fine to me

Also why shouldn't it be my first? It isn't that hard, got to all of the parts that are palm muted from 30bpm to ~80 bpm in about 4 days, and the song is played at ~95 bpm. So it's good progress i guess, tho I'm afraid that my crappy ass amp might be masking some mistakes.
Last edited by Shinami at Dec 30, 2009,