I have a guitar with a 3 way selector switch, one volume knob and one tone knob. It has two humbucker pickups also. I noticed the bridge pickup is not working. When I select only the bridge pickup it's like I turned off the amp. And when I select the neck pickup it sounds the same as when I select both pickups. I have no idea how to take the switch out. It's a round switch so I have a nut I can take off, but does it slide out of the body of the guitar then or what? If you are trying to picuture this, think of a Les Paul but with only two knobs and the switch down by the knobs.

Thanks for the help.
what kind of guitar do you have?

it sounds like the hot wire from the bridge, that should be connected to the switch, just isn't connected anymore.

if thats the case, you don't have to take the switch out to fix it..
just open up the control cavity from the back, and take a look to see if any wires are disconnected..
I have a First Act ME402(Les Paul look alike).. I am wanting a Epiphone Les Paul when I get the money.
I thought after I posted it that there was an access panel on the back. I hope that's all it is. It's a cheap guitar and that pickup has not worked since I bought it so I'm hoping getting it working will make it sound alot better.
Last edited by james3302 at Dec 17, 2009,
It's possible that you have a wire disconnected, but more likely the switch is the problem. It's not a robust design, and that guitar is about the cheapest on the market. The quality of the parts is not so good. On cheap guitars, the switch is a very common failure.

Here's how the switch is supposed to work:

- in the middle position, both pairs of leaves are making contact.

- put the toggle in the bridge position, and it separate the leaves that make contact for the neck pickup.

- put the toggle in the neck position, and it separate the leaves that make contact for the bridge pickup.

I suspect either there is some foreign material between the contacts for the bridge leaves or they're too weak to spring back together. Not 100% sure this is your problem, but it is the most likely.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I think it's the switch too because there are no wires disconnected that I can see. Here's a rudimentary MS paint drawing of the wiring diagram. I don't know if it's wired right because the wiring diagram I printed out does not look like this.
Attachments:
guitar.jpg
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
It's possible that you have a wire disconnected, but more likely the switch is the problem. It's not a robust design, and that guitar is about the cheapest on the market. The quality of the parts is not so good. On cheap guitars, the switch is a very common failure.

Here's how the switch is supposed to work:

- in the middle position, both pairs of leaves are making contact.

- put the toggle in the bridge position, and it separate the leaves that make contact for the neck pickup.

- put the toggle in the neck position, and it separate the leaves that make contact for the bridge pickup.

I suspect either there is some foreign material between the contacts for the bridge leaves or they're too weak to spring back together. Not 100% sure this is your problem, but it is the most likely.

When I move the selector I to position 1 or 3 I see the lever push a metal piece away from the switch. I took a screw driver and pressed that metal piece against the switch more and it started working. Guess it was just bent out a little too far or something
Last edited by james3302 at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by james3302
When I move the selector I to position 1 or 3 I see the lever push a metal piece away from the switch.
yeah. it might not look exactly like this, but it will look similar:

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by james3302
well it works until switch it from that setting and then back anyways
I don't understand what you're saying here.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
If I have the selector set to the bridge pickup it would work after I bent that metal piece. But if I was to select the neck position then try to go back to the bridge selection that bridge pickup would no longer work. I have since taken the pickup out and bent the metal prongs out some more and it works fine now(for now).
Great. Now order a good quality switch, like a Switchcraft brand.
Cuz you know it's only a matter of time.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411