Hey guys, I've always wanted to get EMG's for my guitar but have been hesitant because I don't know how to solder or install pickups and don't want to shell out alot of cash on a guitar tech to do it for me.

However I've been looking at the EMG60-X and EMG81-X and they are solderless so I was wondering if I should get them and attempt to do it myself. How hard is it? Do you guys think I could do it if I have no knowledge whatsoever on installing pickups whatsoever? Would it be better to have a guitar tech do it?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/EMG-60-X-Active-Humbucker-Pickup-876046-i1448538.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/EMG-81-X-Active-Humbucker-Pickup-876040-i1448532.gc
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
there is some soldering involved in regards to the switch, if you have no experiencs taking it to a tech would be a good idea, i find the diagram for the new solderless pickups confusing and, i've got much experience with circuit diagrams
Quote by britishsligean
there is some soldering involved in regards to the switch, if you have no experiencs taking it to a tech would be a good idea, i find the diagram for the new solderless pickups confusing and, i've got much experience with circuit diagrams

the switch wires are put on the bus and screwwed on i think.

AFAIK all EMG-X's are completely solderless and says so on the emg site.

Ts it shouldnt be hard to install the pickups because i can understand the diagrams

EDIT: Instructions for EMG-X's
EMG site

On the instructions for wiring the pickups it shows a green and grey box, the wires slot in this and are tightened and dont come out, as for the jack a special pre-wired jack comes with the EMGs, they're now completley solderless if i was told correctly on their forum.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Dec 17, 2009,
it's not a bad idea, but you still have to have the 'solderless' system soldered in.
it's just a one time thing tho, you get it set up and then you can just plug in any pickup compatible with the system
I just got off the phone with GC and they are saying that it will cost 78$ to install two EMG pickups. Do you guys think it's worth it to pay to avoid the headache? Looking at that diagram, I am confused.
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Not worth it imo, attemptit yourself, its not like your soldering.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I like them, makes it a breeze if you ever need to take your pickups out. Im not sure if they are completely solderless because i still think you have to solder them to the pots.
Quote by dNWaKE
I just got off the phone with GC and they are saying that it will cost 78$ to install two EMG pickups. Do you guys think it's worth it to pay to avoid the headache? Looking at that diagram, I am confused.
Don't do it. That's a total rip.

$50 is what I would be expecting.
When you mess with guitar innards... soldering is an excellent skill to pick up...

Eventually you'll do things like changing pots, input jacks, selectors, other pickups etc etc.

Just attempt it yourself, its a good learning experience. You can't really muck it up too badly if you use some common sense.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
When you mess with guitar innards... soldering is an excellent skill to pick up...

Eventually you'll do things like changing pots, input jacks, selectors, other pickups etc etc.

Just attempt it yourself, its a good learning experience. You can't really muck it up too badly if you use some common sense.

+1

Go buy a soldering iron and practice on some scraps of wire. Once you learn how you'll be able to literally solder up a new pickup in seconds.
Wait so the new EMG's still require soldering?
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
There will be some small amounts of soldering required to get the EMG wiring loom in the guitar. Basically it needs soldering to the earth that will be connected to the bridge.

Once the wiring loom is installed you can change pickups with no soldering required. Would have to be more EMGs though.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
There will be some small amounts of soldering required to get the EMG wiring loom in the guitar. Basically it needs soldering to the earth that will be connected to the bridge.

Once the wiring loom is installed you can change pickups with no soldering required. Would have to be more EMGs though.

+1

Basically there will still be some, including to the output jack.

Don't worry, its a very easy skill to pick up. Like Bobdetroit mentioned, just start by practicing on some spare and loose wires. It takes all of an hour at max to get the hang of.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.