So I'm playing the electric guitar for about.. 3 years now and I think it's time for a gear upgrade.

My current gear is:

Dean ML XM (<- Needs replacement)
Roland Cube 60 (It's a decent amp and loud enough for me atm, I'm sure I'll get a better sound ouf it with a new guitar)
Blackstar HT-DistX distortion pedal
Boss DS-1 (Which I hardly ever use)
Jim Dunlop Zakk Wylde signature Wah pedal.

So, what would be the best to upgrade? Amp or guitar? I prefer to upgrade the guitar myself though but I would like some ''professional'' help from you guys.

I currently have no money but I'm saving money from my job for some new gear, my budget is around €500 I guess, I'm willing to go used.
The genres I like to play are mostly metal(Down, Mastodon etc), metalcore(only Trivium though) but I also like to play some blues from time to time. I would like a pretty versatile guitar but it isn't necessary since I tend to play the more ''heavier'' styles of music.

So I was surfing on the internet and I thought of getting a Dean Soltero Standard, White. I mainly chose this guitar because I really like the quality of my Dean ML XM although it's a low budget guitar, the quality is still good(except for the soft wood.. )

I don't really have anymore requirements for a guitar, active or passive pick-ups I don't rerally care as long as it sounds good.

Do you guys have any more suggestions for a new guitar?
I hope I provided you guys with enough info.
And my sincere apologies for any grammar mistakes or whatsoever, English isn't my first language after all.

Thank you!
Welcome to UG!

I personally would suggest buying an amp first, and most other folks here would advice similarly. That said, if you really are unhappy with your guitar and quite contented with your amp, by all means, buy a new guitar.

I'm assuming you're located somewhere in Europe? So places like Thomann and Music Store can ship to your address? And if it's anywhere other than Germany, your second-hand market may not be up to scratch. I don't know.

In terms guitars, you'll probably be better off making a thread in the Electric Guitar forum.

In terms of amps, however, if you like the sound of your Blackstar pedal the Blackstar HT-5 could be ideal for you, particularly if you don't jam in a band or play live.
I heard Ibanez was discontinuing the SE models. (Paul Allender type) and some deals can be had for under $600. This is as heavy metal as you can get (he is with Cradle Of Filth) With that price you can cjange little little later if you want (pickups, strings, whatever) and have an awesome guitar. The guitar by itself is pretty dang good. I don't own an Ibanez but have friends that do and they love them. Me personally if I was going to get one I would get a Satriani model.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Welcome to UG!

I personally would suggest buying an amp first, and most other folks here would advice similarly. That said, if you really are unhappy with your guitar and quite contented with your amp, by all means, buy a new guitar.

I'm assuming you're located somewhere in Europe? So places like Thomann and Music Store can ship to your address? And if it's anywhere other than Germany, your second-hand market may not be up to scratch. I don't know.

In terms guitars, you'll probably be better off making a thread in the Electric Guitar forum.

In terms of amps, however, if you like the sound of your Blackstar pedal the Blackstar HT-5 could be ideal for you, particularly if you don't jam in a band or play live.

Thanks for the warm welcome. And I live in the Netherlands so I can order from Thomann they ship to the Netherlands if I'm correct. And idk, my guitar sounds kinda muddy and hasn't a lot of definition it's like one of the cheapest guitars from Dean, it's good for the price but I'm looking for something else and since I already bought the roland cube 60 last year idk if i'm going to buy another amp I'll have to sell this one first which can be done.

Also I was thinking about getting the Blackstar HT-5 after I bought a new guitar, or maybe I'll buy the HT-5 first and then a new guitar, I guess I'm just going to stroll the web for soundclips of both the HT-5 and the Dean Soltero and I'll pay a visit to the local guitar shop soon so I can test them both out.

Thanks for the help! More advice is still welcome (: Let's say I buy the Soltero standard and I'm not really happy about the pick-ups which ones would you suggest for giving me a kind off Mastodon/Down-ish tone? I know I wont achieve the precise sound of the two bands but something that sounds like that would be awesome.
Quote by The_Czar
Thanks for the help! More advice is still welcome (: Let's say I buy the Soltero standard and I'm not really happy about the pick-ups which ones would you suggest for giving me a kind off Mastodon/Down-ish tone? I know I wont achieve the precise sound of the two bands but something that sounds like that would be awesome.
To be honest, there really isn't much point buying a new guitar if you plan on changing the pickups, half the sound is from them.

That said, the reason why you may find your tone muddy, is not because of the pickups or the wood of the guitar, but because of the amp. It is a starter amp, afterall.
Starter guitars can last you a lot longer and give you far nicer tones (with a nice amp), but a starter amp will always be the same. You can't improve on it.
But in case I want to change the pick-ups which ones would you suggest?

Also judging by the advice I think I'm getting the HT-5 first!
I might also suggest you get a fuzz pedal. Mastodon and Down use a tone that's a cross between fuzz and overdrive - the Blackstar HT-5 is not fuzzy. It's very straight and compressed.

Something like this or this should do fine.
Haha now I know why playing the guitar is an expensive hobby, I'll check the MXR fuzz for sure! I down know if they have the way huge swollen pickle in the Netherlands, thanks for your suggestions! I really appreciate it!