(I think this is the right place, but if it's not, can it be moved? Please and thank you. )

All right, here's how it's going down. I have a strat copy and I've been learning and playing Drop C songs. Is it all right for me to leave my guitar drop tuned or will it mess up the neck and other stuff? It's been like that for about a month now and nothing has happened yet but I don't want to take any chances.

Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah
TC Electronic PolyTune 2 Noir
Joyo Vintage Overdrive
ZVex Box of Rock
Chase Bliss Audio Warped Vinyl
TC Electronic Flashback
Neunaber Seraphim + EXP
Hotone Wally
You can leave your guitar in drop C, Nothing will happen. I leave mine in Drop C sometimes & nothing happpens

Warping is a characteristic of wood. The best thing you can do is keep it in a case when not in use. Neck-through design is superior, but wood will warp.
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
Last edited by Xanron at Dec 17, 2009,
Nah you'll be fine, usually you don't have to worry about this stuff unless it's a 12 string with really fat strings.
"Wipe ur lip, I see some ass on there..."

"A guitar is only good in the hands of a good guitarist...unless it's a REALLY sexy guitar..."
You should be fine as long as the guitar is properly set up and everything. I tuned my cheapo Kaguya (GRX20) to Drop C a few days ago, set it up and everything... but I used .012 gauge strings and it seems she couldn't take the tension, so I down-tuned her to Drop B... and now she's perfectly fine. I'll use .011s next time.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Is a gig bag sufficient protection against bent wood?

Joyo Vintage Overdrive
ZVex Box of Rock
TC Electronic Flashback
Neunaber Seraphim + EXP
Hotone Wally
If you're storing it for a long time, you should probably down-tune the strings about 2 semitones or so. The strings will be loose-ish but with some tension. Also, you'll always have to set it up again after long periods of storage.

And, no, a gig bag won't stop the wood from bending.
Blackstar HT-5
Will a bag delay the bending process?

Joyo Vintage Overdrive
ZVex Box of Rock
TC Electronic Flashback
Neunaber Seraphim + EXP
Hotone Wally
if you live in a really humid place, it will delay it slightly. I don't think it would delay effects of heat/cold/dryness tho... then again I only have experience with humidity and heat.
Blackstar HT-5
Gig bags are effective in cutting back on humidity. It's better than leaving your guitar out in the open unprotected. BUT. A case offers full protection. Spend another $20 and get a case instead of a gig bag. They may be lighter but they offer almost no protection.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
is your guitar intonated for drop c?

is your trust rod adjusted for drop c?

are your strings the right gauge for drop c?
1. I think it's for standard.
2. I don't think so. Probably not.
3. Possible. They are stock strings.

Joyo Vintage Overdrive
ZVex Box of Rock
TC Electronic Flashback
Neunaber Seraphim + EXP
Hotone Wally
Don't worry about it
I leave mine in diff. tunings all the time, and dont put it back in the case, nothing has happened, and i've been doing this for years.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
If you’re that worried just pay a tech to set up the guitar for drop c.
Ok when I first started reading I was like ok this could be interesting and then it just kept going on and on and on and on. Just don't worry because this is a learning process also. I've always tuned my fixed bridge guitars back and forth with 11's with no problems. That was the point of most that have responded thus far and I'm just adding to what many have already said repeatedly.