I recently disassembled my cheapo RG120, ad while thinking of things to do to my first ever guitar, I started contemplating.......fretless.

Is it possible to change my guitar neck to fretless?

And if so, would I just knock the frets out and fill the slots with wood filler or something?

Thanks for teh halp guize.
Last edited by CaptinSpalldin at Dec 17, 2009,
that sounds... pretty cool, actually.

PSN: reldask
Quote by reldask
that sounds... pretty cool, actually.

So any ideas?

I've been reading a few stories of people saying they did it, but not how they did it......

EDIT: Read how to do said defretting.

Sounds pretty easy, so definitely going on the list of things I'm doing to the guitar.

On a different note, what do you think I should do to the poopy wood thats inevitably going to be on this guitar? I want it to look natural, maybe an oil stain or something?
It fairly easy to remove frets from a guitar. All you need is a pair or "fret pullers", which is basicaly a grinded plyer. Grab the fret at its base, and gently woble it back and forth until it comes loose. Eventualy you'll be able to remove the whole fret. When all the neck is defretetd, you can glue shims of the matching wood, or a contrasting wood to keep indicators. Glue in with CA glue, and sand. You should sand from 280-800, then you can whipe on a coat of tung oil to rehydrate the fretboard and you should be good to go.

From what I've heard though, it isn't great for rhythm or chords, better suited for solos or melodies.

Also, you should expect some for of neck movement, most probably an up-bow... so you will need to readjust the truss-rod.
Yeah, it's basically a matter of knocking out the frets (rather carefully ripping them out) and filling the slots with wood filler I guess. Google is your friend. Sounds neat-o, just don't do it if this is your only (or main) guitar.
Quote by kenan6346
Yeah, it's basically a matter of knocking out the frets (rather carefully ripping them out) and filling the slots with wood filler I guess. Google is your friend. Sounds neat-o, just don't do it if this is your only (or main) guitar.

Yeah, not even closet to being a main guitar hahaha, havent touched it in forever.

I also plan on putting the thickest strings I can find on it, and keeping it looooow, like B standard or something of the like, I figure it'll give it a really neat-o sound.
you'll have to use smt other than wood filler to fill the slots if you want to make it fretless. the neck will bow forward quite a bit with nothing filling the slots. you can use strips of wood or plastic or smt, but not filler.
I thought of that, I was thinking of using something suitably cool, like glow in the dark strips or something of that nature.....

Thoughts?
Quote by Invader Jim
meh. not my bag, but it's your guitar. i'd use strips of rosewood or w/e your fretboard is made of.

This is basically my "first guitar so lets torture it with whatever I want to do" guitar.

Figured it was time I modded a guitar, and this seemed a perfect thing to start with as far as "making it my own".
Quote by Invader Jim
ok, great. go balls out. you asked my opinion and i told you. not trying to bash it.

Not trying to bash you man, I love you
Get a soldering iron and fret pullers from Stewmac. Put the soldering iron on for just a few seconds or you'll start to burn the wood, then go in with your pullers and slowly walk them out. Clean out your slots with a knife to get all the bits of wood and glue out.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I think it would look cool if you filled the slots on a rosewood board with ebony, also, I think, logically speaking, it would be best to do this one fret at a time, it might help avoid some warping/bow.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Use a pair of fret pullers (I used these and they worked great) and grab the end of the fret and slowly walk it out two the other side.

Of the two boards I de-fretted, neither had frets that were glued in so I didnt need the soldering iron, and if I were you, Id try to find some rosewood to fill in the slots to make it hard to tell they were there
Impossible is Nothing
I was also considering just staining the fretboard once the slots were filled, which would be alot simpler then matching the board perfectly, would that work?
glow in the dark would be pretty interesting... though some basses that are fretless (and made that way, not freted ones without frets) will have inlays where the frets are. helps you see where to go if your just learning.

though i'd hate to not be able to (easly) to chords and stuff.... but im not a solo'er, i like rythm.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
glow in the dark would be pretty interesting... though some basses that are fretless (and made that way, not freted ones without frets) will have inlays where the frets are. helps you see where to go if your just learning.

though i'd hate to not be able to (easly) to chords and stuff.... but im not a solo'er, i like rythm.

Been playing for awhile, not my main guitar, so no worries
I did this with the first neck I refretted. I didn't do so well (it was my first refret) so I took out the frets and filled the slots with 24-hour epoxy. I let it cure and then sanded down the board with a 12" radius block, and now it looks like this:

It wasn't that hard, honestly. The most difficult part is finding a way to get a nut that fits well. It had a locking nut and a lic. floyd, but the locking nut sat really high off the board since it originally had big frets. I had an Fender LSR Roller Nut laying around, so I figured I'd put that on it. It's at the perfect height, I just don't have a drill press with which to drill the pilot holes for the mounting screws. Once I get a drill press, I'll slap on the LSR nut and post the whole adventure, as well as how well it plays. I play fretless bass, so I figured this could be fun.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by CaptinSpalldin
I was also considering just staining the fretboard once the slots were filled, which would be alot simpler then matching the board perfectly, would that work?

Black dye from Stewmac is what I used. The link in my sig shows my photobucket that has pictures from when I defretted my bass. I used wood filler and mine is perfectly fine. The dye comes off a little so you'd have to redye occasionally or coat it with some poly.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls