So i am having no luck buying a bass online(got some money early to buy a new bass in time for christmas). I have only ever bought online so i don't the quality of in store instruments. I am going to a Guitar Center(the only thing with more than a couple of Ibanez's) on Saturday and wanted to know if it would be good to buy at a store. Musicians Friend and Guitar Center online are basically out of stock in everything. I really want a new bass by christmas(doing some shows in a couple days after and my current bass is definately not trustworthy enough to gig with). So is Guitar Center any good or what?
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
It's ok, the salespeople are usually crappy though. Personally I prefer Sam Ash because the people are nicer and know more about the instruments, at least by me. But yea I bought my amp from a GC and it's a reliable place to buy from.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
i'd say its probably best to buy from a store anyway because you will have played what you buy... you can't really do that when ordering online
GC has a good selection and decent prices. As said above, their employees are treated like slaves and their attitude expresses this. The turnover at your typical GC is constant. They hate customers slightly less than their employers.

I'm lucky that my local mom and pop is hell bent to meet or exceed GC's prices and they have a decent selection. As I once said, as a female bassist I have to hang from the rafters to get waited on in my local GC.
all of the above advice is pretty true, I'd just add that when you find something you like, ask if they have the bass your looking at in the back all packaged up, that way you don't have to settle for the floor model if you don't have to
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
My local GC has actually managed to keep some people. Knowledgeable ones at that! They guy who helped me out when I bought my 4x12 cabs was really nice and also played bass. I took some time tweaking a couple amps, and then I asked him to tweak it a bit too. Everyone likes different sounds and I thought that if my tastes change in the future it would be good to know that these cabs could also manage other tones.

That said my GC seems to be the exception here. Selection is great. tons of different things to try. Also, try out basses you think you would like by reputation and looks and then try out basses that look ugly as crap to you. It's all about tone & playability, not body shape/color.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Depends on if you get a good salesman or not. I went in there to get all of my bass gear and I had a great salesman. Everything I got was from the back room, so none of it had been touched by filthy customers before. Plus, instead of a Peavey MAX 158 that I had set out to buy, he recommended me an Acoustic B10, which I like a lot more than the Peavey.

Oh, and this isn't about buying from them, but they're a pretty cool place to go if you just wanna try stuff out. They don't seem to mind if you want to try stuff out without intentions of buying. I went in one day and tried out about 7 basses, just for the sake of trying them out, and I have one person try to sell me anything.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by Revelation

That said my GC seems to be the exception here. Selection is great. tons of different things to try. Also, try out basses you think you would like by reputation and looks and then try out basses that look ugly as crap to you. It's all about tone & playability, not body shape/color.

I would agree here. My Guitar Center [Clackamas Oregon, and I've been to the Beaverton location as well] is pretty great. The people there are super nice, and really know their stuff. I've always been treated well, and they've always gone the extra mile for me. When I was getting my cabinet, that guy ran this head around to like, 5 different cabinets just so I would have a consistent sound so I could judge each cabinet equally. It seems like all their employees treat me like that.

So I would suggest Guitar Center. =]
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10