Ok so my friend is hoping to get a new guitar and amp and i said i'd try to help. His budget is around 400 usd but he might be able to go higher. Yes i know that won't get a lot, you don't need to reiterate that point. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the best choice?
Quote by headbangerbuggy
That is the most incomprehensible post I have ever seen. LEARN TO GRAMMAR.

Quote by steven seagull
Then it IS blues, just angrier, louder and more pissed off
Last edited by Wayne637 at Dec 17, 2009,
Id say get something used. get a decent tube amp like a peavey classic 30 and then some cheap MIM strat or something.
lol sry he plays alot of classic rock and some blues, and some more modern rock. i might be able to convince him to go used, provided we can find anything decent where i live.
Quote by headbangerbuggy
That is the most incomprehensible post I have ever seen. LEARN TO GRAMMAR.

Quote by steven seagull
Then it IS blues, just angrier, louder and more pissed off
theres a guy on craigslist in atlanta selling a MIM strat and a peavey classic 30 for like $450
Oh, man - don't worry about the $400 budget limit. Your friend can definitely get a really nice guitar and a very serviceable amp for under $400.

And I'm talking new equipment. Used would be even better, since in an area with an active craigslist, it's no trick at all to find excellent condition Fender MIM strats advertised for $300, but for which the seller would probably take as little as $225. And there's often a gig bag thrown in, too.

But just limiting this to new gear, your friend can buy a brand new Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster - which gets absolutely rave review from almost everybody - for $279.99, delivered. Normal price at Musician's Friend is $349.99. Call, and ask for the 20% discount on Fender (including "Squier by Fender") guitars, that's in effect until the end of the month. That knocks $70 off the price. So you're talking $279.99. Shipping is free. And there's no sales tax charged in any but...I think it's 3 states.

Okay, so that's $280 for the guitar. Leaves your friend with $120 left to play with.

I'm going to offer 2 possibilities. Both solid state, not that I have anything against tubes, but I'll level with you and admit that I don't know enough about inexpensive tube amps to have a meaningful opinion on them.

First possibility would be a Peavey Vypyr 15. An extremely versatile modeling amp. Sufficient power for most needs, for most people. And it usually sells for a few pennies under $100.

Second possibility would be a Roland Micro Cube. Less power than the Vypyr, and not as many bells and whistles, but it's a very solid little practice amp, and you can even load it up with batteries and play it away from house current. (I would suggest rechargeable batteries.) I think a new one goes for around $120.

You know what? Having the portability option is so nice, that if your friend opts for the Peavey Vypyr 15, he might want to consider using the $20 remaining in his budget to buy a Danelectro Honeytone mini-amp. It'll run on a 9v battery (or house current, via an optional adapter). It sounds surprisingly decent. It's small and lightweight enough to wear clipped onto a belt. And it has a wonderfully retro look, which goes well with the Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele.

Alternatively, have him spend some of the $20 on a cable, which he'll need to connect the guitar to the amp. Or on a strap. Or even on a few packs of string. (If there's a Guitar Center near you, they're currently running some good deals on electric guitar strings. $20 for a 6-pack of Ernie Ball Slinky/Super Slinky strings, or $4.99 for 2 packs of Fender strings, or $4.99 for a pack of D'Addario XL electric strings w/ a 10-pack of picks thrown in at no extra charge.)

So there you have it - a really nice, brand new, electric guitar (Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele), and either a Roland Micro Cube, or a Peavey Vypyr 15 + a selection of minor items.
--
Michael