I recently heard Avenged Sevenfold's cover of Walk, and that led me to look up more about Pantera (whom I have never listened to in the past). I have heard the original Walk, Cemetery Gates, and Cowboy's from Hell. I'm probably going to buy a CD but I don't know which. Is there a must-have CD from them that I should buy before any others?

I was considering Cowboy's from Hell, but I'm not sure.
Cowboys of Hell. theres also a compilation album. The second thing to get would be Vulgar Display of Power.
FLYERS GONNA FLY
Philadelphia Flyers: 47-26-9
I would say VDP. However they do have a greatest hits CD that has all their great songs on it.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by KreatorRage
Now I know why most of the fanbase of Pantera is full of morons.

Tbh, though, I listen to Pantera sometimes, and I don't think I've ever actually listened to A7X.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

Tbh, though, I listen to Pantera sometimes, and I don't think I've ever actually listened to A7X.

I said most, obviously excluding you then.
I strongly dislike Pantera, they're waaaay too overrated.
I completely agree-very repetitive and they didn't do anything that hadn't already been done before? All groove metal is is slowed down thrash.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I completely agree-very repetitive and they didn't do anything that hadn't already been done before? All groove metal is is slowed down thrash.

laugh's while looking at your display picture.
i'll agree that theyre overrated but theyve still made some good songs.
get vulgar display of power 1st then far beyond driven then Cowboy's from hell
Pantera FTW!!

Anyway.. get the album "Reinventing Hell" its the Best Of album.
It usually comes as just the Audio CD, but there is a version that includes a DVD also, which has live performance videos, and most of the music videos that Pantera released over the years.

Its a great compilation!
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332271
This should go here.

Avenged Sevenfold sucks, so does their butchering of "Walk".

I'm a huge Pantera fan, but 90% of their fan-base makes me want to take a machine gun into Wendy's.

As for your question, I'd grab one of the 'best of' CDs, or "Vulgar Display of Power", which is the best representation of their overall sound.
"Oh, it's just you." - Famous Last Words