What's going on in that man's head!?

Now before I go into my question I would like to state that I know most people write solos either in their head or improvise while they practice and mess around until they come up with something that sounds good and mess with it...

Something along those lines.

Anyway, I would like to know your guys' takes on something.
I have recently been learning to play Peace Sells by Megadeth. I was wondering if any of you knew how he comes up with his solos...Do modes, or scales, or something else go into it? They just seem insanely fast and when played slow they don't really make much sense. Now, I have only been playing guitar for a year so maybe my mind isn't made to hear some things yet. But his solos just sound amazing. I can't comprehend how you would come up with something like that.
Sometimes, the tabs can be off, which can throw off any patterns that you would've been able to decipher if they were correct.

Generally, and after a while, you get used to different mini-patterns you can do with scales, and then you start using them in your improvisations/solos. Then you'll have an ear for those patterns, so you can decipher them more easily.

So just learn as many patterns as you can for now (which is done by playing/learning/listening to other well-written complex solos... or just looking around online).
Mustaine's solos are usually based around the Minor pentatonic and the natural minor scale. That being said he's fond of chromatic notes that aren't in those scales. Adding the b5 (blues note/blues scale) seems to be a common choice of his.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Mustaine primarily uses just natural, harmonic or pentatonic minor. His solos are really not that complicated in terms of theory, though he does have some interesting phrasing occasionally and great chops. I'm sure he knows a good deal of music theory, but he continually hires lead guitarists for a reason. Rhythm and singing is his forte, and I'd say he's damn good at it. The riffs on Rust in Peace are ****ing tough to play and sing at the same time.

Marty Friedman and Chris Poland on the other hand had some verrrrry interesting shit going through their minds. Best guitarists Megadeth ever had, IMO. Marty's solos on Rust In Peace are nearly perfect, IMO.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Dec 17, 2009,
Marty Friedman used to be his best weapon.
Damn Japan.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Rhythm and singing is his forte, and I'd say he's damn good at it. The riffs on Rust in Peace are ****ing tough to play and sing at the same time.
Marty Friedman and Chris Poland on the other hand had some verrrrry interesting shit going through their minds. Best guitarists Megadeth ever had, IMO. Marty's solos on Rust In Peace are nearly perfect, IMO.

+1
If you're into rhythms listen to Dave. If you're into leads, Marty and Chris. Then again, Dave has some cool, original lead chops also(Wake up dead).