Some of the songs on that album really make no sense.

It seems like half the time the guitars are playing something thats all ****ed up and the bass is playing distorted, dissonant chords, that seemingly aren't related to the guitar...
Yes I have, I listen to alot of more oldschool tech death and plenty of modern stuff, but alot of Obscura is far beyond what most tech death is. I mean, every now and again you'll find weird stuff in tech death, but Obscura is like they spliced all the weird parts of 30 or so albums together into an album.
Quote by MadAudioMan
Some of the songs on that album really make no sense.

It seems like half the time the guitars are playing something thats all ****ed up and the bass is playing distorted, dissonant chords, that seemingly aren't related to the guitar...

They tried making it so complex, that its very difficult to actually understand it. I think if you were to listen to it enough it would make more sense.

At first I thought you were talking about the band Obscura, which made me confused, because none of it is fucked up, and the bass isn't distort. And then I was hoping there was a new Obscura album called Gorguts.
Gorgut's primary song writer composes 20th/21st century classical music in his spare time, so a lot of influence would come from that. Im not too familiar with gorguts work, but maybe try learning some atonal/tone row theory or something....
(that stuff is real complex though)
Quote by WishfulShredder
Gorgut's primary song writer composes 20th/21st century classical music in his spare time, so a lot of influence would come from that. Im not too familiar with gorguts work, but maybe try learning some atonal/tone row theory or something....
(that stuff is real complex though)

yea but he has also said that he wants to keep those two seperated and for instance does not even know the notes on the fretboard.
Quote by bolivardogman
yea but he has also said that he wants to keep those two seperated and for instance does not even know the notes on the fretboard.

he has? wow
even so, I dont think he especially succeeded
I very much think gorguts sound like (metal) modern classical music (in some ways)
I'm not really sure where you're coming from. The riffs aren't very impressive. Alot of it is just meandering chugging riffs with your occasional guitar trick thrown in between (harmonics, pick slides, etc). I don't mean to rag on them (kinda digging their live footage) but it's all pretty coherent.