So I'm sanding the finish off my Gibson to bare wood. I'm going to clear coat the body with nitro clear. Going to use oil based wood grain filler prior to that. I was wondering of there are any finishes I should check out for the neck. I always hear of players stripping the necks (iommi and Eddie van halen) but they never say if they just leave it bare wood or not. I've heard of people using oil finishes on the neck (Zack Wyler uses them on his signature gibsons). I haven't found any place that has any oil finish type stuff besides the wood grain filler so I was wondering if it's the same shit. I've been looking to get all the stuff from reranch.com. My neighbor gets his paint and shit from them and it seems legit. Any input is helpful. I just want a natural feel to the neck. Smooth and fast. This is the first time I'm re finishing a guitar but I'm no stranger to painting and sanding and all that jazz.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
If you're referring to the Rosewood fretboard, you just clean/condition it with Lemon Oil. If you're referring to the back, try Tung Oil. Luthiers I've talked to recommend the 100% Tung Oil without the hardeners, etc. If you don't like it, you can easily remove it and refinish with something similar to your previous neck, Nitro-based.

Quote by Ippon
If you're referring to the Rosewood fretboard, you just clean/condition it with Lemon Oil. If you're referring to the back, try Tung Oil. Luthiers I've talked to recommend the 100% Tung Oil without the hardeners, etc. If you don't like it, you can easily remove it and refinish with something similar to your previous neck, Nitro-based.

yeah not the fret board. thats straight. ill have to check out that tung oil.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
If you cant find any tung oil, try Minwax wipe on poly. Its as easy to apply as tung oil, but is a bit more durable.
I quite like necks which have the back finished with 2/3 coats of linseed oil. Darkens the color of the wood slightly, gives it a very light matte effect. Because its not a thick or glossy finish like Nitro, for example, its a lot easier to slide your hand up and down the neck.
I'm reffering to only the back of the neck though, not the fingerboard.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by roast
I quite like necks which have the back finished with 2/3 coats of linseed oil. Darkens the color of the wood slightly, gives it a very light matte effect. Because its not a thick or glossy finish like Nitro, for example, its a lot easier to slide your hand up and down the neck.
I'm reffering to only the back of the neck though, not the fingerboard.

yeah. i dont want something as thick as nitro, but i might be having to put off this whole re finishing my guitar. that just gives me more time to find the right finish for the back of the neck.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
why not just shoot a couple light coats of satin lacquer? it'll help retain the "woody" feel but seal the wood a bit better. Either that, tung oil or tru oil for gun stocks.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
tru oil from birchwood-casey
i used it to finish the body on my jackson
you wipe it on and then wipe it all off and it will build up after a few layers.
they key, i found, was to wipe it all off after you apply it.
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
why not just shoot a couple light coats of satin lacquer? it'll help retain the "woody" feel but seal the wood a bit better. Either that, tung oil or tru oil for gun stocks.

just unsure what I want to do. I've played a couple classical guitars that had a oil finish on the neck and they felt amazing. So I figured why not do it on my guitars. Just no idea what was used on them.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars, or at least the axis has a gun stock oil finish on it, try one out if you get a chance, and thats what Birchwood Casey Tru Oil finish is like. Its what I did on my Wolfgang build and its what I'm gonna do on future ones too.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars, or at least the axis has a gun stock oil finish on it, try one out if you get a chance, and thats what Birchwood Casey Tru Oil finish is like. Its what I did on my Wolfgang build and its what I'm gonna do on future ones too.

I'll have to check and see if any local shops Cary Ernie ball. I've never seen anyone that does though. Thanks for the info. I might just try it out once I start re finishing. If I don't like it I can just sand it off.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT