i imagine the JCM900 can handle modern stuff relatively well but i'm wondering how it handles the classic rock and hard rock of the 80s?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by stephen_rettie
mine is great for all those styles. id say for classic rock the dual reverb would be better but the SL-X is still great.

^wrong

SL-X is a much nicer amp in my opinion. Every high gain dual reverb I've played sounded pretty brittle, due to the diode clipping in the preamp. The SL-X sounds much closer to that oldschool Marshall roar. Sounds very similar to a JCM800 2205/2210 actually.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Actually, it's probably better for classic rock and hard rock from the 80's. For more modern higher-gain stuff, you'll probably need an OD to boost it. What exactly do you mean by "modern music"?
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

Quote by R.D
^wrong

SL-X is a much nicer amp in my opinion. Every high gain dual reverb I've played sounded pretty brittle, due to the diode clipping in the preamp. The SL-X sounds much closer to that oldschool Marshall roar. Sounds very similar to a JCM800 2205/2210 actually.

This.

SLX good. Dual reverb iffy.

Of course, the Splawn Quickrod is what the 900s wish they could have been. But it is a bit more pricey on the used market.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.