I play metal/rock and im kinda a beginner and my dad want's to take me Wednesday to look for a good amp im guessing he would pay around 500 for one because I chose an amp over a paint job on my car, I'm just wondering which best suits me, thanks.
I would like to try to play some Metallica and Aveneged Sevenfold but also some slow stuff like 45 by Shinedown
Blackstar HT5?

Maybe a used Peavey XXX combo?

Better yet...
What bands of rock/metal?
Can you buy used?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
In that case I think a Bugera 333 combo or a 6262 combo would be a good place to start. Both can be had new for under $500 in the US if i'm not mistaken. Like RK said a Peavey XXX combo used would be nice but IMO the HT-5 doesn't have the voicing for modern metal
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Dec 17, 2009,
Id probably go with a spider iv just for the versatility. It has a good amount of different tones that dont sound cheesy like most solid state/modeling amps. if ur going for tube sound then the bugera 333xl is definitely a winner for the price. i dont know about the combos for bugera but their heads are killer.
are you giggin?

if your a beginner and are only a bedroom jammer a 120 watt tube amp (6262/333(XL))will be over-kill inless you get a THD hotplate along with it.

DONT GO FOR A SPIDER ... not even SPIDER 4
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Quote by kakos
are you giggin?

if your a beginner and are only a bedroom jammer a 120 watt tube amp (6262/333(XL))will be over-kill inless you get a THD hotplate along with it.

DONT GO FOR A SPIDER ... not even SPIDER 4

The combos are 60W if I remember correctly, besides the guitar gods created volume knobs for a reason
Quote by AxRiffman
Id probably go with a spider iv just for the versatility.

I don't know what to make of this recommendation....

I'd rather get a Peavey Vypyr or a Roland Cube if the TS wanted a modeler.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well I practice with my band if you wanna call it that, my friend is a drummer and we have a bassist but we haven't seen him in a while but I would like to be heard over the drums
if you like the flexibility of playing your amp late at night with headphones and still jamming with your buddies I'd look at the Vypyr tube 60.

i am assuming your dad will not be interested in looking at used amps? check your craigslist.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
if you like the flexibility of playing your amp late at night with headphones and still jamming with your buddies I'd look at the Vypyr tube 60.

i am assuming your dad will not be interested in looking at used amps? check your craigslist.

+1 to the vypyr or a HT-5 and a couple pedals
Quote by AxSilentxLine
The combos are 60W if I remember correctly, besides the guitar gods created volume knobs for a reason

You don't remember correctly. They're 120 watts of cheap br00tulz.

Get a 6262, much better than the 333 which I owned.
Quote by enselmis
You don't remember correctly. They're 120 watts of cheap br00tulz.

Get a 6262, much better than the 333 which I owned.

Well I stand corrected. I'm a bit rusty on my chinese tube amps