Well You'd think this jsut some other bullshit thread, but really I'm jsut curious about the rteasons you choose to play either way. For instance, I play with a pick simply because I prefer the sound it allows me more attack in my sound which playing with my fingers just doesn't give me. Although, I started playing with my fingers back in late 2005 I began to use a pick more and more around 2008; and today I use one almost exlusively. A summer of not having my abss with me out of the country helped my switch to pick too (****ed my fingerstyle over).

So anyways post away. And please try to well, give good reasons and no flaming.
Cheers, Victor.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
I play with both. I like the sound of a pick but I feel more comfortable with my fingers.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
It really just depends on the type of songs u like to play.

I prefer using my fingers because it feels more comfortable.

But it does sound way better with a pick but i love to fingerpick its just my style
I prefer the sound of my fingers, but being mostly a guitarist, i feel uncomfortable playing like that, so i usually use a pick.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I use my fingers. I started that way because I didn't want people to think I was just some n00b guitarist that sucked. But I've found that I get way more control over what I'm doing with my fingers than I do with a pick. Plus you can't drop a finger, you can transfer to slap/tap easier, and I like the feel of it more.
no sir away a papaya war is on
No pick vs fingers threads

I love both tones but I feel more comfortable with my fingers. I need to get better at picking though. It feels different than guitar for me.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
No pick vs fingers threads.

I didn't see "vs" anywhere, man

I use a pick almost exclusively. Fingers just never felt right for me.

The tone from a pick just suits me and my playing style much better than fingers. I like to almost solo the bridge pup and try to punch people in the face with the tone.

Tremolo picking is fun too
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
I use both styles, depending on what the song calls for.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
These threads are all essentially the same, and are all pointless and stupid.

Pick vs Fingers has been done to death, then done some more. Then a whole lot more.

This isn't a vs thread but it's even dumber. Why do people play the way they do? Hmmm lemme see. Preference. Duh.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
I play with both, depends on the style and what not. I mostly use my fingers, but some newer songs just don't sound right without the pick *shrugs* I think nowadays there just aren't many good bass players in the main wash of things! haha. Bass can be a very versatile instrument though, I've used it through a guitar amp as rhythm guitar on some occasions, lol

Just do what comes naturally to you, but I suggest you learn all the styles if you want to be a good bass player, so you can play the metal, or the funk! Muahaha
So... Jeff Lynne is still making music.. all is well.

Check out my Ebook!: Yogi Jam!
Last edited by BlakeAlan at Dec 18, 2009,
both. playing in an extreme metal band - i switch back and forth.

when i want to lay back and be smooth (or play something super ****ing technical that i cant play with a pick) i use the fingers, when i some punch i pull out the pick (usually on groovey chugging riffs).
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
@cm261. If you're not gonna post anything meaningful towards the thread, then don't post. Of course it's preference mna, But what fuels said preference?
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
prefer the sound of a pick most of my favourite bassists use a pick Daave Ellefson,Jason Newstead,Mike Dirnt,Ian Grushka,Chris #2 etc

and i feel more comfortable with it right now so its usually my go to play style im a lot more accurate with a pick and i played both fingerstyle and pick a fair bit when i started and decided pick was more the style i like the more trebly bite from.

Also the fact peace sells with a boosted treble,cut mids,and slightly boosted bass sounds rather good and my BC gets in the ballpark of that tone which im rather chuffed bout :P

And i vary between Fender celuloid picks and torex .73mm's right now (yellow tortex ones)
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
i play with my fingers more confortable to me then using a pick some of my favorite bassist use a pick but for my comfort fingers are the way to go
I started out playing only with a pick, and I'd use a 1mm(pretty thick) but then I switched to playing mostly with my fingers and now it feels weird at times to use a pick. Also, instead of the thick ones, I've started to prefer thinner picks, the sort you'd use for lead guitar.

I'm not sure why, exactly, but I guess I feel it's more controlled with a thinner pick. Also, as some mentioned earlier, it really depends on the type of song and what sort of attack you want to get.

I don't mind these threads, gives me a chance to butt in :P
Some prefer the sound, some prefer the tone, some prefer the speed, some prefer the ease. Preference. It's all a matter of preference. cm261 is right. Aside from pointing out as to why you play like you do, I fail to see the point of this thread. What exactly do you want to know, and what exactly can we help you with?
Neil Gaiman's The Sandman

D E A T H of the E N D L E S S
I use fingers, it feels better and allows for more tapping ability/faster transition between various techniques.
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by bassburton
@cm261. If you're not gonna post anything meaningful towards the thread, then don't post. Of course it's preference mna, But what fuels said preference?

No-one is posting anything meaningful, it's all pointless.
Quote by slurpeexyza
Some prefer the sound, some prefer the tone, some prefer the speed, some prefer the ease. Preference. It's all a matter of preference. cm261 is right. Aside from pointing out as to why you play like you do, I fail to see the point of this thread.

Exactly, my good man.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk