Ok, I am just learning modes. ive ben plaing for a little over a year, and i dont get them. I know the Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian stuff and which notes are flats, but i dont know where to play them. Dont ask me what scale im playing cuz i have no idea. Theres supposed to be a chord you play along with them? Sry, i must be mentally challenged or somthing, because all i know is how to play songs, not any music theory stuff. Its hard enough for me to learn guitar, but to learn other stuff?
http://magicbooktheory.com/g_modes1.htm

theres an explanation for you, all modes are are basically major scales being played over different keys. without chords, modes are just major scales, its the dissonance over the chords that brings out their tonal qualities.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
http://magicbooktheory.com/g_modes1.htm

theres an explanation for you, all modes are are basically major scales being played over different keys. without chords, modes are just major scales, its the dissonance over the chords that brings out their tonal qualities.

There are minor modes.
Last edited by tenfold at Dec 18, 2009,
TK1 tht like u posted it the tits! seriously brah, thanks =]
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
Quote by Guitarfreak777
There are minor modes.

i realize, but all a minor mode is is a major scale starting at the 6th degree. the only difference is what its played over and what notes you revolve around or accent in your playing.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain

Quote by camhussynec
TK1 tht like u posted it the tits! seriously brah, thanks =]

no problem its what i do.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain

Before you start learning modes, you have to realize what they are. A mode is just an alteration of a major scale. The first mode, Ionian, is actually just a major scale. For instance lets take the A major scale. A B C# D E F# G#. Now, lets look at Dorian. B Dorian has the same notes as A major, but it has B as the root. Essentially, it's just the A major scale starting one interval up. And really that's the key to understanding modes: Think of them as a major scale starting on a different interval. All you have to do is figure out which modes are relative to each other. A Ionian=B Dorian=C# Phrygian etc.

After that, it's learning what chords work with what scales/modes and vice versa. But that's for another lesson.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by MidniteHaze
Ok, I am just learning modes. ive ben plaing for a little over a year, and i dont get them. I know the Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian stuff and which notes are flats, but i dont know where to play them. Dont ask me what scale im playing cuz i have no idea. Theres supposed to be a chord you play along with them? Sry, i must be mentally challenged or somthing, because all i know is how to play songs, not any music theory stuff. Its hard enough for me to learn guitar, but to learn other stuff?

If you are a guitarist I suggest playing them on the guitar.

Learn some basics, understand the basics, use the basics. You're jumping ahead of the game. I know the names of modes are alluring, but you are not likely to need to know them\use them for a long time, if at all.

The major scale is an excellent place to start learning theory. Just a hint.