I'm replacing the pups in my standard mexican strat. I'm wondering if all three stock pups are the same. If not, I'm considering putting the neck pup into the mid position, would it sound different. If so, has anybody tried this and what do you recommend.
Guitars
Gibson SG '61 Reissue 'Aretha'
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
Line 6 Echo Park
the middle pickup is typically RWRP (reverse wound, reverse polarity)

when you use positions 2 and 4 on your selector switch (bridge+middle, or middle+neck), the 2 coils together are hum-cancelling, because of the reverse polarity.
almost like a humbucker (like a humbucker in the way it cancels hum. not sonically..)

if you move the neck pickup to the middle, you'd lose the hum-cancelling abilities.
what would you do with the middle pickup..going in the neck position?

if you're moving the neck to the middle, and getting a new neck pup, then none of your positions will be hum cancelling. some people prefer it that way, and it works just fine, it's just differant from the 'normal' way.

if you're just swapping the neck and middle, you're not going to see much of a difference in tone, really.
the main change will be that your only hum-cancelling position is [neck+middle]
I got new pups for the bridge and neck so I'm just wondering if I could improve the middle positon?
Guitars
Gibson SG '61 Reissue 'Aretha'
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
Line 6 Echo Park
Quote by rhcpjhlz
I got new pups for the bridge and neck so I'm just wondering if I could improve the middle positon?
If by "improve" you mean completely lose the ability to hum-cancel in the positions where two pickups are used, and have the middle sound slightly weaker than it does now, yes.

Otherwise, no. This won't be an improvement.

The neck pickup on my MiM is wound to about 6.6k
that's slightly less than my middle, wound to about 6.7k
This makes the neck pickup just a little weaker.
But there is more string movement at the neck position.
So it balances out.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.