Hey I just got and EMG 81/85 set put in my guitar.
but when I plug my guitar into my amp it sounds like it has distortion even when it's on the clean channel...is that normal?
I don't have my main amp with me...so I tried out the guitar on a Marshall MS-2 and a normal speaker...and on both it sounds distorted.
Is there someway I can fix this...or is it normal?
You can't fix this. This is the price you pay for having shitty EMG's.

EMG's completely rob you of clean tone, deal with it.

In other words: I HATE EMG'S!!!(completely justified) BLAAAAAHHH!!!
EMG's are made to distort tube amps. My friend is having a similar issue with his Duncan Designed actives, although it's not a natural tube breakup sounding gain, it's more of a blown speaker style gain... with perfectly fine speakers
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
oh for real?
ok....i was kina worried....i'm cool with it...it sounds pretty good clean....it sounds amaaazing with distortion!
I just thought it might have been a problem that i would have to take a couple hours to fix.
you could change one of the pickups to the EMG 60 if you want, or try the new EMGx's.

they're pretty good.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
i play mainly metal...so these pickups should work pretty well for me.
the EMGs will probably sound alot better coming out of my main amp back at my dorm.
plus I luv Zakk Wylde's tone...and I got the Zakk Wylde Signatures....
Or instead of buying a whole new pickup you have to rewire (the EMGX), just mod the EMGs for 18 volts It will be a good improvement, give you better cleans and more dynamic content.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

any links to good modding tutorials on how to do that?
I probably wouldn't be able to do it cause I don't have a soldering iron with me....but I'll check it out.
If you turn down the volume on your guitar does it sound clean? If it's still distorting then you have a problem.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by SlashKirkSynG
any links to good modding tutorials on how to do that?
I probably wouldn't be able to do it cause I don't have a soldering iron with me....but I'll check it out.

there's an entire thread dedicated to the 18v mod. it's linked in the central hub sticky in GB&C.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
EMG's are made for dirty sounds. if you wanted a clean sound you should have gotten a pair of Duncan's. ill tell you what i say to everyone else. look into stuff before you buy it.
Ya it sounds cleaner when I turn down the volume on my guitar.

ok...I'll look for the thread.

main reason I got it is cause I wanted to be able to get better distortion sounds.
plus loads of metal guitarists use it sooo....I should be able to get the sounds I want from it. I play mainly Trivium, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Slayer...stuff like that.
Well if your aim was to drive your amp harder to get good distortion then you've done the right thing. I quite like the way they sound when you turn them down too, you can get a real crystalline sound out of them. I totally disagree with the whole "robs your sound" bs that all the EMG haters spout on this forum. You just have to know how to use them. They are also really good if you want to run a long cable too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ya I wanted to get more out of my distortion sounds.
I can't wait to try it out on my main amp...should sound pretty awesome.
I wanna experiment with clean sounds too...see if i can get some decent sounds.
Quote by enselmis
You can't fix this. This is the price you pay for having shitty EMG's.

EMG's completely rob you of clean tone, deal with it.

In other words: I HATE EMG'S!!!(completely justified) BLAAAAAHHH!!!

He's plugging high output pickups into a Marshall microamp thats the size of your fist, of course those pickups are gonna be too much for it. It sounds like you didn't read the original post properly.
Besides, keep believing the myth that EMG's 'rob you of your clean tone'. Here's a fun video in the mean time featuring David Gilmour and those terrible EMG's he's using
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nzIKAhNTW0
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
He's plugging high output pickups into a Marshall microamp thats the size of your fist, of course those pickups are gonna be too much for it. It sounds like you didn't read the original post properly.
Besides, keep believing the myth that EMG's 'rob you of your clean tone'. Here's a fun video in the mean time featuring David Gilmour and those terrible EMG's he's using
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nzIKAhNTW0

Exactly, "can't get a good clean sound out of EMGs" my arse. Gilmour seems to do it fine and I love the sound I get with mine combined with decent amps (I have two good valve amps and they sound great on both). The crap that people talk about EMGs here is really starting to annoy me, it runs totally contrary to my experience with them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
that's really good to hear.
I was sorta worried after hearing the overdrive type of sound i was getting out of my microamp.
that's really good to hear.
I was sorta worried after hearing the overdrive type of sound i was getting out of my microamp.
You can get cleans out of EMGs you just drop the guitar volume. EMGs tend to hit the front end of an amp pretty hard, SS will tend to clip even on the clean channel. So yea that little pocket amp thing is gonna distort. Some amps will have a high and low input, plugging EMGs into the low will lower the input level and keep things clean.
Active pups and a cheap ss amp is a bad idea.
You're right though Tackleberry, EMG's do hit the amp hard, add to that the fact that people will tend to crank the gain too high thinking they'll all of a sudden sound like Kirk Hammett or something and then the bashing starts. Roll back the gain with EMG's, don't need it as much and instead crank the volume (if your amp can handle it)
^Keep in mind David is using the EMG SC But regardless, you're correct that you just need to know how to use your tools.

I'll bet many of the people who say EMG's suck would probably say that a Mesa Mark IV or V sucks because they didn't spend enough time with it. Same goes for the Line 6 Spider Valve. My friend (former guitarist of Her Body Twitches, currently in the band This 6th Day) gets a damn fine tone out of his. Sucks that the other guitarist uses a Spider III though but they use them to great advantage and they sound fantastic live, especially through the Marshall 1960AX's they played through when I saw T6D live

Stupid name.

Yea I know theres a difference between using EMG SA's and an 81 or 85 for example but still both ways you can't just crank the gain and expect it to sound amazing.
You're 100% though, its all in how you setup your equipment