Ok so im looking at the Boss DS1 Distortion pedal because my amps gain just doesnt cut it for me,

the stuff i will be using the pedal for is mostly Jake E Lee w/ozzy and some rhoads w/ozzy
stuff off the ultimate sin and bark at the moon albums i also play alot of ac/dc but my amps gain is good for that , i also play some metallica and 80's metal like hair metal and some glam

the other pedal im looking at is a digitech death metal pedal
i dont play any death metal but the pedal looks like it has some sweet distrotion so i thought i would consider it.
You could try a Digitech hardwire tl-2 metal or hardwire sc-2 valve distortion pedals.

or the metal muff?

how much are you willing to spend on this pedal?
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by signedinbloodnz
You could try a Digitech hardwire tl-2 metal or hardwire sc-2 valve distortion pedals.

or the metal muff?

how much are you willing to spend on this pedal?

i have a budget of $100 at the moment and am buying used currency is NZ$
any chance you could save an extra $50? (extra $20 being for shipping)
you could get this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Effects-units/auction-260240000.htm

which is better than X-series digitech distortion pedals.
Can we erase the past?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25

No, neither of those are good for Jake E Lee or Rhoads tones. The voicing is totally wrong. The DS-1 is very, very mid scooped and buzzy while the Death Metal just sounds like a buzzy can of bees. I recommend saving up a bit for something like a Radial Tonebone Hot British.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
No, neither of those are good for Jake E Lee or Rhoads tones. The voicing is totally wrong. The DS-1 is very, very mid scooped and buzzy while the Death Metal just sounds like a buzzy can of bees. I recommend saving up a bit for something like a Radial Tonebone Hot British.

any pedals that might be better from brands like digitech,boss or something
Quote by DANGERSTRANGER

hmm hardwire pedals have put digitech's quality pretty high now, they're a lot better than most pedals on the market at a low, medium budget. or high budget in NZ
Can we erase the past?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25

Quote by DANGERSTRANGER

Not really. If you're already getting a decent AC/DC tone out of your amp, you could do what Randy did for a while and use an MXR Distortion+ to push it a little bit more for the extra gain.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
What amp is it you have? That may help when picking the pedal.

Also, Signedinbloodnz Vegans ftw
he has an ashton ga10 which is a low end practice amp.
Can we erase the past?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25

Quote by signedinbloodnz
he has an ashton ga10 which is a low end practice amp.

no i dont i have a marshall dont know the model actuyally i'll find out
my mistake then. post a pic so we can see what the amp is?
Can we erase the past?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25

Quote by signedinbloodnz
my mistake then. post a pic so we can see what the amp is?

Its a marshall MG15DFX i think anyway its actually really good and doesnt conk out unlike that other amp.

I forgot to edit my profile and finally figured out how just before sorry.
Quote by mmolteratx

The Ds-1 is anything but scooped, more like shrilly. But it is buzzy, I'll give you that one.

Go with a Hardwire TL-2. Thats what I'm upgrading too when I get the money. I've been using a Boss Ds-1 for years now, served me well, but just dosent cut it anymore, plus the input jacks are corroded as shit.

EDIT: Shoulda read through the posts, you have an MG? Just to save you from being flamed out of here, I think you should save up for a nice amp that will actually handel pedals well, putting a pedal through your amp will not improve your sound, you need an amp that can handel pedals well, which a 15 watt cheapo MG will not.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
If it doesn't do what you want, I'd argue that isn't "really good". I would save up and get a better amp.

sorry but thats not going to happen
I have an MG15CDR, which sucks but it was cheap. Using the built in overdrive and a tube screamer gives a nice thick distortion that sounds pretty good.

I'm looking at a Little Giant to replace the MG.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil