Question, a lot of people (most everybody I presume) when they play 3 string power chords (5th type) standard tuning, for an example a C5, they put their 1st finger on the C note (low E string 8th fret), and put their 2nd finger behind the G string (3rd string) to mute it, and their 3rd finger on the G note (A string 10th fret) and C note (D string 10th fre). No matter how much I practice it that way, it feels very unnatural to me, so I don't do it that way. I do everything the same with ONE EXCEPTION, I do not place my 2nd finger behind the G string (not even to mute it, I just make sure not to hit it), and it feels more natural (even though it looks like I am flipping someone off).

Is their any harm to the way I play 3 string power chords, am I hurting my technique?
-DC
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this..
I've never heard of what you're talking about, unless i'm reading it completely wrong.. But, the way I do power chords is,
index on root note
ring on the 5th
pinky on the octave
and if you're worried about extra strings ringing just lay your index finger down to mute the rest of the strings you're not using.
Quote by Nevermind1299
I've never heard of what you're talking about, unless i'm reading it completely wrong.. But, the way I do power chords is,
index on root note
ring on the 5th
pinky on the octave
and if you're worried about extra strings ringing just lay your index finger down to mute the rest of the strings you're not using.

I agree. This is how I do it too.

@BigDC (if that is your real name...) I think you actually have a pretty unique way of playing powerchords there...
Quote by Nevermind1299
index on root note
ring on the 5th
pinky on the octave

I think that's how most people do it. I actually find that if I put my index on root, and ring barring the 5th and octave that I'm able to switch chords faster. And like TS I don't mute while doing power chords, I just make sure not to hit extra strings.