This is an interesting theory my friends and I have talked about a few times. Is rap our generations disco in the form that it is on its way out and will be looked back at with laughs? I think it's possible as already "real-rap" is fading into r&b and turning more into techno/dance music, however I dont know

I am a fan of rap btw, not making a thread hoping for rap to be gone.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Rap has already survived for a few generations...
Check out my band Disturbed
unfortunately rap isnt even as good as disco... and rap has lasted longer....

i mean saturday night live soundtrack IS a good record...
Thats happening to gangsta rap. It doesnt sell as good as the 90's into the early 00's anymore.

Rap and hip hop now are more about party/club music which reminds me more of the 80's for some reason.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
No. Not at all. Rap - even just Gangsta Rap - has already lived too long. Plus Disco was about having fun and feeling good. Rap is not.

Perhaps the Kanye West style of rap is like disco. But I think that's sort of the point.
Can't wait until rap dies like disco
Quote by Rogue Hermit

You're a good man. I was waiting for somebody to step up with the obligatory "I come blood" reference.

Quote by guylee
goddammit. I'm going to bed. You win good sir.

Quote by stratguy335
Haha! You got the joke! You win a cookie.
Quote by carr4600
Can't wait until rap dies like disco

Learn to appreciate it, foo.
Quote by StewieSwan
Rap has already survived for a few generations...

This. It's been around, in some capacity for 30+ years.

Plus, hip hop has been steadily strong, as well.

And what do you mean, "Look back with laughs.", TS? I mean, really? Sure, the mainstream stuff is getting terrible of old, but the hip hop scene is as great as ever, and there are some hugely popular acts that are amazing still left, as well. Jay-Z, for one.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Disco survived...

but in miniscule numbers that is....

I despise rap. (gangsta rap that is)
Despised Ex: 50 Cent

Good Ex: Lady Sovereign
Quote by fallenangel20
This. It's been around, in some capacity for 30+ years.

Plus, hip hop has been steadily strong, as well.

And what do you mean, "Look back with laughs.", TS? I mean, really? Sure, the mainstream stuff is getting terrible of old, but the hip hop scene is as great as ever, and there are some hugely popular acts that are amazing still left, as well. Jay-Z, for one.

nah you read my post wrong, alot of ppl laugh at disco and what it was

rap on the other hand i enjoy, eminem and tupac being my favourites, followed by t.i. jay-z nas the game etc
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Disco is musically and intelligently better than rap. I still dance around to ELO and have watched saturday night fever my share over. You know how the 80s came after that and destroyed every band as we knew them, Rush, Zeppelin, Lennon died.. I think rap is pretty much our musical holocaust. I'm sure we will come out of it eventually. ; )

I would not compare disco to rap. I mean, people look back on their pictures and are like WOW, I looked like a tool.. and laugh. Hell, we are still disco feins on Halloween sometimes.

I don't see people growing out of rap. They will just grow up thinking they are badass thugs until they get shot or die alone... Peace homie. Word to your mother.

*please do not take this post seriously, btw*
So... Jeff Lynne is still making music.. all is well.

Check out my Ebook!: Yogi Jam!
Quote by jean_genie
No. Not at all. Rap - even just Gangsta Rap - has already lived too long. Plus Disco was about having fun and feeling good. Rap is not.

extreme ignorance/generalization is extreme.

sounds like someone has never been to a party before. hell, sounds like someone has never heard of the ****in BEASTIE BOYS.

hell this is so stupid that i have to provide an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrDrCF-T88g&feature=related

Asher Roth - I Love College.
the entire purpose of this song is about having the best time of your life.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by jean_genie

Perhaps the Kanye West style of rap is like disco. But I think that's sort of the point.

If we listen to today's mainstream rap lyrics, it's about hanging "in da club" which is "fun" and feeling good, which means "screwing the bitches" and taking drugs, because you feel good from that.

I hardly know anyone who listens to Hip Hop from the 90's, if they say they listen to Hip Hop, they probably only listen to what's on the radio. Today's rap is a fad IMO, when you talk about that you're rich and you're in the club with the strippers.
But I do not see the 90's rap as a fad, due to that it wasn't all about the same goddamn subject over and over again.

Today's rap will die, real rap will live on.
DeVillains!
Quote by Ylasto

Today's rap will die, real rap will live on.

Hear Hear!!

Also, Hip-Hop
Quote by Kensai
When I wear it I have to fight off women with a stick. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by daytripper75
Today, 2:51pm EST: Prodigy179 has officially hit puberty.

They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
Aw man. Maybe the pop rap crap that most people like, but there's a ton of good rap. Give me some A Tribe Called Quest, Atmosphere, or Del the Funkee Homosapien. What about The Roots, OutKast, or Lupe Fiasco? It's not all about how much bling you have, that just shows more than anything else that pop culture has gone down the toilet.
Pop has most certainly evolved into a most heinous sounding trash. People thought pop in the 80s was bad... OMG. I would take little red corvette or come on eileen over poker face or that shit by owl city ANY day of the year, hahahaha
So... Jeff Lynne is still making music.. all is well.

Check out my Ebook!: Yogi Jam!
CBA to read the thread and pointless arguments, but IMO, no. Rap has been around for a long time, and it's sudden explosive popularity (along with the commercialization) is fairly recent. Sure, the pitiful state rap is in is sad, and it will soon pass, but that doesn't mean rap itself is going anywhere. Once the trend dies out, the music won't be as ridiculous.
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by EternalDeath
Disco survived...

but in miniscule numbers that is....

I despise rap. (gangsta rap that is)
Despised Ex: 50 Cent

Good Ex: Lady Sovereign

Listen to NWA! That's actually good gangsta rap, in my humble opinion.
Lady Sov is gimmicky pop/grime MC imo.
no, thats just ridiculous. rap has already lasted quite a while and im sure it will live on much longer.
Disco was more of a sub genre of pop, so it has the ability TO die.. Rap/Hip-hop is all on its own, so it wont really ever die.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808