alright help me out real quick please, I have an 8 ohm cab with two inputs for stereo, and two heads, both can be set for either 4, 8, or 16 ohms, is it possible to set this up successfully, and can I just use a y cable to run the guitar to both amps?

oh come on, I see you guys's rigs in the picture thread, some of you can answer a quick question
Since no one is answering I'll take a try for you since modulated effects sound so awesome thru a stereo rig.

You probably can't just run a "Y" cable from your guitar to two amps and get a good sound. A simple "A" and "B" box probably won't work either. You'll need a buffered line selector like the Boss LS-2. With the Boss unit you can adjust the signal level going to each amplifier which is very helpful if you're running two different amps in stereo as opposed to a matched pair of heads.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-LS2-Line-SelectorPower-Supply?sku=151369&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26018520

I have a VHT Valvulator which is a great buffer but it doesn't have the ability to adjust the levels of the outputs. Morely makes good options too.

If you have two identical heads you could forget the line splitter and run into one head and then split the signal at the pre-amp out or effects loop and send the other "channel" to the power amp section of the second head. Pros do that. The clincher is your heads have to have the necessary jacks.

Third option is stereo rack gear.

Good Luck,
Bob
Quote by BobDetroit
Since no one is answering I'll take a try for you since modulated effects sound so awesome thru a stereo rig.

You probably can't just run a "Y" cable from your guitar to two amps and get a good sound. A simple "A" and "B" box probably won't work either. You'll need a buffered line selector like the Boss LS-2. With the Boss unit you can adjust the signal level going to each amplifier which is very helpful if you're running two different amps in stereo as opposed to a matched pair of heads.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-LS2-Line-SelectorPower-Supply?sku=151369&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26018520

I have a VHT Valvulator which is a great buffer but it doesn't have the ability to adjust the levels of the outputs. Morely makes good options too.

If you have two identical heads you could forget the line splitter and run into one head and then split the signal at the pre-amp out or effects loop and send the other "channel" to the power amp section of the second head. Pros do that. The clincher is your heads have to have the necessary jacks.

Third option is stereo rack gear.

Good Luck,
Bob

they are not identical heads, but I tried this, it caused each amp to distort(I just had the second head going to a different cab, I want both amps to the same cab) and i've heard if they are not identical it can beat up the tubes pretty bad, I'm not sure if there is any truth behind that, but it is what I was told

and If need be I'll get that boss pedal, seems like best for the value, I did a quick google on em..., thanks

I still need to know about the ohm matching from the heads to the cab....

once again

2 heads -- each have option of 4, 8, or 16 ohms
1 8 ohm cab with 2 inputs....

how do I connect without blowing up
It should be pretty straight forward, one head at 8 ohms into left input, the other at 8 ohms into the right. Then use and a/b/y box for your guitar signal. But youll need to make sure the speakers are proper loads for your 2 amps... did you say it was a 2x12 or a 4x12?
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Quote by schtick_bomb
It should be pretty straight forward, one head at 8 ohms into left input, the other at 8 ohms into the right. Then use and a/b/y box for your guitar signal. But youll need to make sure the speakers are proper loads for your 2 amps... did you say it was a 2x12 or a 4x12?

Yup, he's got it. Set the amps up normally, 8 ohm to 8 ohm. Make sure you are positive it is a stereo cab and not just a cab with two inputs though. Also you NEED an A/B/Y, a splitter will be noisy as hell and sound terrible.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
But TS needs to make sure his cabinet can handle the load of the amps before he does this. If he has 2 100 watt amps running into a vintage 30 2x12, he will for sure blow the speakers or the output transformers. This is muey importante sir....
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

its a 4x12-----2 v30s and 2 h30s, its a 50 watt marshall head and a 30 watt vox head, and I keep both amps relatively quiet, they are not cranked to hell

oops, I lied, one is an input on the cab one is an output.... so I guess my whole ideas shot?

ok, looks like I'll have a new cab day sometime down the line if it is shot