Poll: Which pickups should I get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which pickups should I get?
Fender Texas Specials
5 83%
Sliders Classic '57s
1 17%
Voters: 6.
I've decided to overhaul my old Squier strat, and have gotten everything picked out. Thought I knew which pickups I wanted, but then I came across some I've never heard of.

http://www.myspace.com/slidersvintagepickups

This guy lives in Sydney, Australia and will hand-make your pickups to order. I'm personally digging the Classic '57s, though I'm at odds as to whether I want them or the Fender Texas Specials. From what I've heard on youtube and other places, the Sliders sound much better than the Texas Specials, but I don't want to pay for a set of pickups and then find out I got jipped after installing them.

When I decide on pickups, they'll be wired into a ToneShaper Knob & Switch board.

Does anyone have any hands-on experience with the items listed above? Which pickups should I get?
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
I honestly don't know if it would be worth it to you at $130 unless you have some sort of attachment to the squier or really like the neck or something; I had a standard that had a very nice neck so I know first hand what they can do set up right and modded.

My squier standard had alnico pups and they were moderately low output, but they were rather warm and chimey when turned up and sounded pretty good... they were never harsh... but could have used a little more output.

Now the texas specials are not for everybody, they're alnico v and sound smooth and warm, but they have a slightly darker tone with pronounced mids and a slight lack of highs. I don't know how this would sound with an Agathis body (don't know which squier you have, but the standards are agathis)... but lowering the ts pups on an alder body with 250k pots makes them begin to sound very articulate and replaces some of the high end... so you might want to consider that in your decision.

They are nice sounding pickups, but really they just need to be backed off a bit to sound good in my opinion; adjusted too high and they get kind of middy and muddy sounding.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Dec 20, 2009,
Also try ormsby
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
haha man, where's that guy with the rock monkey guitars??? chris? that guy's a genius. rockmonkeyguitars.com i have two sets of his pickups and they're GREAT.

but all in all, those hand made pickup people are all knowledgeable people. you can email them directly and they'll give you answers. ask them what's good with what you want to do, they'll give you an answer. talk to them first.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
My squier was my first electric, and plays much better than any mexican strat I've ever picked up. I've grown pretty fond of it...and to be honest I kinda enjoy playing it more than my new Ibanez.

I just think it's time I finally got the sound out of it that I really want. I'm not sure the exact squier strat model it is, but it's got an anniversary sticker on the back of the head dated 1994. Something different about it is that the head actually says "Squier Strat" rather than actually spelling out stratocaster. It's a triple single coil model w/ a 22 fret, rosewood fretboard. Modern style tremolo w/ the thick saddles. The paint is really, really thick on it...reminds me of more of an enamel.

It has a nice, warm tone as it is. But the pickups are very low-output and my selector switch is shorting out. What I'm going for is that thick tone typical of SRV and many country players. That mid-low bite.

I've already replaced my strings with 11s to get a deeper sound, and I'm looking for a Fender deluxe tube amp ($800 at the nearest guitar center).
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
you get a new pickup yet? from what you've said in the last post, i'm thinking your selector switch is the culprit. it can be a $10 fix (although you should switch the pickups too). When the selector switch has gone bad, "shorting out" will cause the pickups to sound thin and extremely low output, much like the pickups are dead. sometimes you might be able to wiggle it and get a loud clean sound as well. but switch the selector first, and see what that does for ya. sorry a month bump but i wanted to know what you've decided to do.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
haha man, where's that guy with the rock monkey guitars??? chris? that guy's a genius. rockmonkeyguitars.com i have two sets of his pickups and they're GREAT.

but all in all, those hand made pickup people are all knowledgeable people. you can email them directly and they'll give you answers. ask them what's good with what you want to do, they'll give you an answer. talk to them first.

Yeah I hear that RMG guy is pretty good :P

I wouldn't go with the texas specials if I were you. They are pretty overpriced for what you get. I've never heard of the other company you are talking about but I do know that handwound pickups tend to sound better than machine wound. For that pre CBS tone you want 42awg formvar wire, fibre bobbins, and alnico 5 magnets and because pre CBS pickups were hand wound it's important than your new pickups are hand wound too if that is that sound you are after. Keep this in mind no matter who you consider buying pickups from.

Another thing to keep in mind is that corporations that make pickups have factory workers that are just earning a paycheck. Boutiuque companies have 1 or 2 people making their pickups and they are doing it because they want to. It's more than just a factory position for them. This usually comes through in the quality of the final product.

and for what it's worth, my favorite guitar is a squire that I found in a ditch. Just because they are cheap doesn't mean they aren't good. I love cheap guitars.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jan 14, 2010,
Quote by CorduroyEW
Yeah I hear that RMG guy is pretty good :P

I wouldn't go with the texas specials if I were you. They are pretty overpriced for what you get. I've never heard of the other company you are talking about but I do know that handwound pickups tend to sound better than machine wound. For that pre CBS tone you want 42awg formvar wire, fibre bobbins, and alnico 5 magnets and because pre CBS pickups were hand wound it's important than your new pickups are hand wound too if that is that sound you are after. Keep this in mind no matter who you consider buying pickups from.

Another thing to keep in mind is that corporations that make pickups have factory workers that are just earning a paycheck. Boutiuque companies have 1 or 2 people making their pickups and they are doing it because they want to. It's more than just a factory position for them. This usually comes through in the quality of the final product.

and for what it's worth, my favorite guitar is a squire that I found in a ditch. Just because they are cheap doesn't mean they aren't good. I love cheap guitars.

yesssssssssssss it's this guy! btw, your pickups still sound amazing to me! (i have two sets)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by james4
since we're talking about RMG pickups... I'm still waiting for mine to get here

gah, I want then nooow

Playing catchup from the Christmas holiday and being in hospital. I've finished all but 2 orders and those 2 orders will go out Monday when the post office opens. If you send me an email I can let you know if yours is a set that has not been shipped.
Not taking any online orders.