So I'm writing some complicated music, as far as timing goes, and I cant find a way to make a quick lick I play fit into a bar.

I play this lick during the song live with my band, and it sounds fine. But technically, it doesn't work where it is placed now that I'm trying to write out sheet music.

Is this okay? I'm not a huge theory person, I just play what I feel, and it ends up being complicated shit I can't write out correctly.
Lots of pedals.
just write them as n-tuplets, it's legal!
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
If your band works with odd time signatures its all about getting the feel of this signatures. for example get a drum computer and create some 7/8, 7/4, 5/4 whatever time signature you want and then start jamming on it. I did this, and it really helps you get into the feel of these rythms. It will be a total pain in the ass to improvise on the first couple of times tho.

I hope this is what you mean.
As one guy said earlier, try to write down all the notes with their proper length. Count them as the shortest type, i.e if you use 16th:

Count 8th notes as 2, quarters as 4 etc.

Then put it up with 16

like if you have Two quarters and, 5 eighth notes and 2 sixteenth.

And try to factorize(?) it
20 / 16
10 / 8
5 / 4

Then, the riff is in 5/4.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Skunk Force 9
So I'm writing some complicated music, as far as timing goes, and I cant find a way to make a quick lick I play fit into a bar.

I play this lick during the song live with my band, and it sounds fine. But technically, it doesn't work where it is placed now that I'm trying to write out sheet music.

Is this okay? I'm not a huge theory person, I just play what I feel, and it ends up being complicated shit I can't write out correctly.

That depends, what are you using the sheet music is for. If it is just so you can remember the song (and you do remember it correctly when notated wrongly) then it's fine, but if it's for other people then you should try and get the timing correct.

Just as a general note, if your riff sounds reasonably natural then there should be a reasonable way of writing it. Of course if it takes fifteen listens to find the beat then there may not be an easy way to wright it.