Page 1 of 2
dearest pit,

I need help, I really don't know what Im going to do here...

I got really Shit end of year marks in all my subjects (english, math, PE, science, Design, Health) and Mum + Dad are pretty pissed off. Mum has said You either leave school or improve your marks, if I leave school I Have to get a full time job. I think mum was trying to threaten me with the Job part, but Im not that worried. She said that If i stay at school I do atleast 2 hours of homework everyday, and I don't touch my guitar until its all done, dads threatening to stop taking me to the Jams if my marks stay this bad, but obviously If I drop out my marks can't get any worse. I don't really want to go to school because:
A) its plain boring
B) the school is a shit hole
C) I don't really want to go to school

BUT

I want to get a good education, but its not that important because even with a good education Im still looking at music or digital art as a carrer. I wish this had not happened as I think i have just Fvcked my life up pretty bad, but thats just a hurdle I will need to get over. Sorry for the long post, but this is pretty serious.

Tl;Dr

I got shit marks, should I stay at school?

thanks

John.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I think in short if you're going to drop out then you should take up a trade. Stay there if you're willing to put in effort for your long-term goals, but if you absolutely can't stand it, take the risk of dropping out and getting where you want to go through other avenues which will likely be more complicated.
I think your mums a ****ing idiot, no offence dude, lol telling your own kid to quit school, is to me shitty parenting.

Stay in school improve your marks, get a better job than you would do now and then when you are earning alot of dollar, tell your mum she ain't getting naff all because she wanted you to take a shitty job

/Rant
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
ITT:

I got bad marks and can't be bothered to sort my shit out. Therefore, I'm going to take the easy way out.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Yes you should. I got kicked out of school when I was a couple of years older than you, re-applying and finishing my education was the best decision I ever made.

EDIT-Why the hell did I write 'yes you should'? I meant no you shouldn't...it's still too early to think.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Last edited by neopowell at Dec 18, 2009,
I dunno how important schooling is to your job marketability in Aus, or even how the system works for that matter. But if you lived in America I'd tell you you need to suck it up and push through. Just seems safer, in case you end up not doing what it is you want to do right now. But if school isn't worth it for you, don't keep doing it.

Idk if that helps or not.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by slash_GNR666
I think your mums a ****ing idiot, no offence dude, lol telling your own kid to quit school, is to me shitty parenting.

Stay in school improve your marks, get a better job than you would do now and then when you are earning alot of dollar, tell your mum she ain't getting naff all because she wanted you to take a shitty job

/Rant

well no parent wants to pay for school when their kid is getting shitty grades
Quote by pepsi1187
well no parent wants to pay for school when their kid is getting shitty grades

education is education, and that's what their paying for. stay in school, don't be an idiot.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Some people do shit at school 1st time round.

One of my mates left school with shit grades, got a shit job in comet selling overpriced electronics, realised it was a shit career, went to college and got some decent Highers, did hnc and hnd in computer programming and is now at university in his 2nd year and planning to pursue bioinformatics to Honours level.

Now obviously that's the slow route to a career considering I'm the same age and have been graduated over a year, but doing shit at school doesn't have to be the end.
^^ where does it say go he goes to private school?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Man up and sort your shit out. Stay in school, it doesn't last that long. Then you can actually get a degree in something relevant, whereas if you go the job route, it gets harder to break out of that cycle to get a proper education.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
coming from someone who has graduated high school on honour roll..

its a ****ing wank and just a test to see if you can put up with retards, think about it, you're in a building that doesn't teach you what you're interested in, you're forced to work with others who hardly want to be there, and even if you get good marks or honour roll..

its not too ****ing likely it'll prepare you for college or university.

When you're at college or Uni, its such a difference being in a program where everything you're learning is applicable to your goal, and working with people that want the exact same thing as you.. success and an education. The biggest thing is just making sure you WANT it and are interested in it.

i hope it all works out for you. good luck!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Clearly, no.

EDIT: ^ well said.
Last edited by MOODY17 at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by rocknroll93
dearest pit,

I need help, I really don't know what Im going to do here...

I got really Shit end of year marks in all my subjects (english, math, PE, science, Design, Health) and Mum + Dad are pretty pissed off. Mum has said You either leave school or improve your marks, if I leave school I Have to get a full time job. I think mum was trying to threaten me with the Job part, but Im not that worried. She said that If i stay at school I do atleast 2 hours of homework everyday, and I don't touch my guitar until its all done, dads threatening to stop taking me to the Jams if my marks stay this bad, but obviously If I drop out my marks can't get any worse. I don't really want to go to school because:
A) its plain boring
B) the school is a shit hole
C) I don't really want to go to school

BUT

I want to get a good education, but its not that important because even with a good education Im still looking at music or digital art as a carrer. I wish this had not happened as I think i have just Fvcked my life up pretty bad, but thats just a hurdle I will need to get over. Sorry for the long post, but this is pretty serious.

Tl;Dr

I got shit marks, should I stay at school?

thanks

John.

School is not nearly as difficult as people make it out to be and the results you get at the end don't matter as much as people say they do at the time. My advice is to make a choice between A: a trade, and B: continuing school.

The first option is a good one if you're a fairly practical person. If you have any business sense and can work hard there is plenty of money to be made with it.

The second option is good too. If you don't do a trade then at least finish school. At your age there is plenty about that you don't know yet - pick subjects that teach you something about the world around you - humanities or science stuff can really change your outlook. If you do those kind of subjects make it easier on yourself by doing fun stuff too - computer graphics/design, audio design, music etc.

With both of these options you need to put a bit of work in and to be honest it doesn't seem like you are interested in that. Don't be a dickhead! There are enough of them around mate. You can do so much better for yourself - and regardless of how you went this year, if you have another year left you can always do well enough next year that it won't matter.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
Last edited by catempire at Dec 18, 2009,
music or digital art as a carrer

dude...you aint goin to get those jobs without an education, and being in a famous band probably wont happen and thats the only musical carrerr you dont need grades for

stay in school and dont be an ass

i failed collage because i called the music teacher what i thought about him, one that he couldnt teach a sponge, two he couldnt even play a damn instrument, and three he was a prick

worst thing i ever did, now its gonna take longer for me to get a music carrerr as a teacher, sound enginerr etc.

dropping out is idiotic...if you dont make it as a musician, without grades you wont get a good job, and it dosnt mater if you can do the jobs you try for, you still prob wont get them without grades

dont ruin your life
im gunna have to agree and say no stay in school
re-take the year or something or put in a load of effort next year and really sort it out
people come back from Es to get B's later on and if you resit some stuff it can make it a lot easier
also if you want to do musical or digital art they aren't gunna take school drop outs
as so many other people who stuck through school and got decent relevant grades will be applying for the same positions you just putting yourself at an unnecessary disadvantage

good luck back at school!
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Stick with it man,
I just graduated high school, best feeling ever, knowing you stuck it out all the way. Don't look at it as a waste, look at it as learning how to deal with people. Lifes all about perspectives.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Without a diploma, you have no chance of getting in "any" college

Stick it out..plus you can always upgrade in the summer
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I've decided that Paul Gilbert's hands have no method of communication with his brain. they exist as separate sentient beings each with an IQ of 400.
Quote by link no1
dude...being in a famous band probably wont happen and thats the only musical carrerr you dont need grades for

i failed collage because
get a music carrerr as a teacher, sound enginerr etc.

are you sure you didn't fail because of grammar?!?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I've decided that Paul Gilbert's hands have no method of communication with his brain. they exist as separate sentient beings each with an IQ of 400.
Just because you have bad grades doesn't mean you should quit...try harder next semester/year and improve. Education is important, and will broaden your possible career choices, but do what makes you happy.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
If I were you I would stay in school! I know it's shit and all, but i know a mate who left school, then regretted it, and since then has become like, a bum who just walks around the city all day. And about the guitar, I hacve a similar rule- all homework before guitar, and i need my father to ****ing look over my shoulder whilst doing a bloody worksheet. All this shit sucks I know, But seriously, I'd stay in school!
Oh, and why is everyone spelling career "carrerr"?!!?!?!?!?
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
ok guys, most of you want me to stay in school.

Im thinking that If I dont' ill get a labour job while I can pay to do all the courses for woodwork, painting ect ect and start building guitars. it is somthing I enjoy, I think I would be good at, and I can make money. for one of you who pointed out that im not going to get a carrer with digital art/music, for digital art im thinking more going freelancing and selling my works. for music, in a band, even just a pub band, i know several people who are not big in music, only work as a muso and own large houses on the beach. so for that, i could try hard. as for the school and getting bad marks I guess Im just a dipshit. I tried and tried and got shit marks. Im prepared to stay at school, as long as my parents are not so tight about it and leave me alone instead of bugging me. I know My life may turn out shit if i drop out, I couln't really care, as I said, Ill build guitars. go on from that ang build amps, then pickups or somthing. im a creative person, so that is what I want to do. Thanks pit for helping me out, ill think about it.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
you think at life like at your username. Life's not just that, you have to learn something. What if you suck, you cant sell albums and you're bound to remain unknown, how are you going to support yourself, never mind a family?
Quote by Kivarenn82
coming from someone who has graduated high school on honour roll..

its a ****ing wank and just a test to see if you can put up with retards, think about it, you're in a building that doesn't teach you what you're interested in, you're forced to work with others who hardly want to be there, and even if you get good marks or honour roll..

its not too ****ing likely it'll prepare you for college or university.

When you're at college or Uni, its such a difference being in a program where everything you're learning is applicable to your goal, and working with people that want the exact same thing as you.. success and an education. The biggest thing is just making sure you WANT it and are interested in it.

i hope it all works out for you. good luck!

Not over here it isn't. In Australia the HSC (final exams) are serious business, people pretty much study all year to get as high as possible. It's not a standard easy test too like in the US, it's very difficult and exhausting.

TS, you should probably start looking for other avenues into uni because by the sound of your attitude, your not going to improve much no matter what your parents do. You have to have the motivation to study that much, otherwise you will pass at best, but as most Australians know, passing the test isn't the point.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by rocknroll93
im a creative person, so that is what I want to do.

Rock n Roll 69 should now become my best friend for that statement
Quote by rocknroll93
ok guys, most of you want me to stay in school.

i know several people who are not big in music, only work as a muso and own large houses on the beach.

Drug dealing is good money

You are not going to make a substantial amount of money playing pub gigs and making guitars privately... however it is your choice, and i wish you well
Quote by Lemoninfluence
As long as you can't spell 'career' properly, I think you should stay in school.
*stupid 09'er*

this space is for rent. PM me for rates
Get your GED if you quit. Its the same as a high school diploma. And Some colleges will accept you. Unless in Australia its different than in the United States.
I quit for a pretty good reason. I wont go into detail unless somebody asks.
If it is your school certificate don't give a ****.. That shit isn't important unless you leave in Year 10.. Stay on till Year 12 and don't **** the HSC up.
Quote by CycoVisonary23
this is what you should do

GO SEE A GOD DAMN SCHOOL COUNSOLER

they will help you with everything

I would, but school is finnished for me now, until the end of january next year. one reason that I don't want to go back is that mum and dad will have to pay for school fees that we cant actually afford. as in if dad doesn't have a job by febuary 21 we have to hand the house over to the bank..

those sorts of problems.

ah well..
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.

"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Last edited by Dawnwalker at Dec 18, 2009,
I dropped out of a school that I hated.

It was the best decision I've ever made. The teaching was shit. The people I was with were retards and I ****ing hated it, so I quit in February of my first year of 6th form. That gave me a few months to sort myself out mentally, which I did (I'd really hated school). In the September I started at a college in a different town where I knew nobody. Good teaching, made new friends who were awesome, and I'm now doing the degree I wanted to do at my first choice university. Most of the people I was in 6th form with (very, very intelligent people some of them) ended up doing crap courses at the local ex-polytechnic university, their teachers had been so impressed with grade Cs that they didn't push to get any higher.

TL;DR: I quit, started at a different school and am doing better than anyone who stayed.
Page 1 of 2