im thinking of saving up ALL my christmas money so i can afford a nice ibanez 5 string http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR505-Bass?sku=517942 im just wondering if its worth it or will i regret it. Im really into bands like Between the buried and me and tool alot of progressive stuff
also i have no experience playing one and get confused as tits when playing one but i really want to learn but i keep thinking the 5th string will be an annoyance

advice?
Last edited by Disobey666 at Dec 18, 2009,
it will be annoying and confusing at first. but when you get around it, going back to a four string will feel like you're missing a leg.

i have the same bass, although an older series of it.

I prefer the fender jazz V, for metal. but the ibanez is still very decent.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
its only an extra string, it's not a completely new instrument. you're over thinking it

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
If the guitarists have 7 strings and you've got 4, have a fun time tuning down to B.

In seriousness though, the 5th string can get in the way if you're not using it, but I like to think you can use it even if you're with a standard guitar. Whover said you can only be 1 octave lower?
I prefer the 5 string bass to the 4 string bass because it gives a greater range while playing, for example, you won't have to drop D the E-string when the song calls for it. I would say go for it. And it is very easy to adjust from a 4 string to a 5 string, but the improvement shows while you are playing it.
<(o0,)>
i never had any trouble playing a 7 string guitar or a 5 string bass for the first times

true when i did it felt wierd, but i could still shred/funk the hell out of them

it dosnt make much diffrence to your playing, you wont need to relearn, just feels wierd n i spose that will go when you get used to it
just get used to placing your thumb on the 5th string if you dont like playing it, im a huge fan of 5 strings, i own a fender V and its great.
Quote by Kivarenn82
it will be annoying and confusing at first. but when you get around it, going back to a four string will feel like you're missing a leg.

i have the same bass, although an older series of it.

I prefer the fender jazz V, for metal. but the ibanez is still very decent.

I can't believe how true that is. Every time I pick up a four I go looking for the B string.
I am me. Live with it.
The number of strigs shouldn't be associated with the playability. It's not like your switching from a ukalahlie (spelling?) to a violin. Adding and removing strings is just a slight concentration adjustment. Nothing you can't get used to after some sessions.

And I would enjoy seeing these confused tits you seem to emulate. Nothing's sexier than cross-eyed nipples.
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
They will be twin boys named God and Satan and I will make them fight each other.

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/index.shtml
Quote by sg255
If I cross the street to get away from them, then it's a latino.
The 5th string should take you maybe a day or two to get used to, if anything gets you it'll be the neck width, although if you get that SR505, it won't be bad at all.

Just remember that the trade off on the SR's is that they crammed all 5 strings on a thinner neck at the expense of string spacing, so slap might be a bit more difficult.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Victor wooten plays a four string 90% of the time, so it comes to show that a 5 string is not really necessary. But a lot of people like them. Idk ts, its really a personal thing
It saves you a ton of tuning troubles, and they feel cooler to me. I went from a 4 string straight to a 6er, and it was wild, but now I pick up my 4 string, and wonder what happened to all my other strings..

You'll do fine on a 5 string, even more so if you do BTBAM style stuff, then you'll want a 5 string. =]
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
wwould it be worth it to just get new pickups for my p bass its had the same ones for like 3 years since i bought it and there rusted and shit or just get the 5 string?
Most bassists these days keep at least one 5-string in their arsenal. It makes playing certain pieces easier, since the low "B" string allows you to hit notes that would cause you to dive for the far end of the neck on a 4-string. Some people also like the wider fretboard.

Try a few 5-string basses and see if you like them. It will take a bit of getting used to, as that "B" string will throw you off at first. It isn't hard to get used to it, though.

Whether you should replace the pickup on your P-bass or get a 5-string is up to you. Does the music that you play require you to play a 5-string? If your pickup is rusted, you should replace it if you plan to keep the bass. I can't say that I've ever come across a rusted pickup. I've seen corrosion on the polepieces, but some steel wool will take that off.
Quote by tubatom868686
Victor wooten plays a four string 90% of the time, so it comes to show that a 5 string is not really necessary. But a lot of people like them. Idk ts, its really a personal thing

Only one string is "necessary". All the rest just make things easier, and the 5th string is no different.
Nope, no sig here.
is no pointless the B string IMO helps a lot when you are reaching low notes without de tuning your bass and also it depends with the economy of motion more notes without so much movement in the hand
If you like BTBAM you'll like to have one instead of either missing out on the lowest notes or keeping the G# and losing the highest string.

Anyway, if you get a 5er and dont end up using it its not like the B string gets in the way of the other four like a 6er would. So, even if you dont use it as much as you thought you would its not hurting you at all. Cant complain about tighter string spacing, all the SRs are like that and for slap it can only make you a more accurate player with better skill at muting strings so, you dont really lose.

Plus, maybe you'll need it for later anyway
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
with a 5 string, you get 2 whole octaves without sliding your hand up the neck. thats not pointless at all.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
its kinda funny that 1 string gives you 50% more octaves to play, which is pretty cool if you like to slap
Go for it. If you don't like the B string, just don't play it. It only takes a few days to get used to. I went from a 4 to a 6 on that logic, and now I GAS for 7s and above.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
Go for it. If you don't like the B string, just don't play it. It only takes a few days to get used to. I went from a 4 to a 6 on that logic, and now I GAS for 7s and above.

I'd love to get my hands on something reminiscent of Jean Buadins axes and a buttload of effects.
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Damn, looks like my "economy of motion" and "there's practically no difference in playing a 4 or a 5" tirades have already been covered

We've learnt to pre-empt you. :p

So, to /thread.

No, a 5th string is not pointless.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Last edited by m4l666 at Dec 19, 2009,
Quote by TheTortured
with a 5 string, you get 2 whole octaves without sliding your hand up the neck. thats not pointless at all.

To be fair, even if your playing with 4 fingers, you still have to make a half step shift

So to recap,

Are 5 strings pointless? No
Necessary? Also no
Good to have? For some people yes, for some people no
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by tubatom868686
To be fair, even if your playing with 4 fingers, you still have to make a half step shift

So to recap,

Are 5 strings pointless? No
Necessary? Also no
Good to have? For some people yes, for some people no

Depends on what position you're playing at- remember, you have them open strings too.

This is just enough for some people.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Depends on what position you're playing at- remember, you have them open strings too.

True. But if you play 4 fingers, then your gonna have to shift for the second octave in any position besides half. Its an extreme technicality because you can get every note in the second octave other than the octave itself, but its probably important to point out