Why do people think that their dead artist/musicians are instantly the best when they die?

For example Dime Bag Darell. The moment he died and there after, i do not go one day without hearing or seeing "R.I.P. Dimebag you were the best."

why do people do this? Your ideas pit?
Because there's no chance of them screwing everything up and proving you wrong.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Shits & giggles
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
It's because they were "martyred" or something. I dunno. I think it's silly. Dimebag, John Lennon, Cliff Burton, and all those other guys were pretty meh, but they instantly got glorified after they died.
kill all humans
Because it's the cool thing to do.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
It's because they were "martyred" or something. I dunno. I think it's silly. Dimebag, John Lennon, Cliff Burton, and all those other guys were pretty meh, but they instantly got glorified after they died.

You don't think Lennon deserverd the praise he got?

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Because it's the cool thing to do.

+1
Quote by EternalDeath

For example Dime Bag Darell. The moment he died and there after, i do not go one day without hearing or seeing "R.I.P. Dimebag you were the best."

why do people do this? Your ideas pit?

Because you're spending to much time in the metal forums
Seriously though. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Pantera, but I totally understand your point.
Personally, I think it works like the proverbial 'snowball effect'.

Example: One dude who's been a fan of Pantera since day one sits down and is all "RIP dime" because he's a long time fan and the next dude is "Who's Dime" and he goes home and checks out some Pantera. The second dude then recommends it to a mate, and then he's all 'RIP dime' aswell. Plus with all the Dean merchandising in his name, it's all over guitar magazines and what not, beginners will notice it and go 'Oh ima check this dood out'.

It's the same with Hendrix and others, Dime was just a easier example to use here.
'Always outnumbed, never outgunned'
PSN + XBL: Jimsworthy

Charvel So-Cal ProMod Black
Ibanez RG350Dx W/ Duncans
Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah II
Lennon was ok i guess but you have to respect his music instead of his personality

its like kurt cobain, he was an assh0le drug addict but everyone started to praise him like a god even though he was a dick

all im saying is people are glorifying what they did musically not how they were as a person
Quote by alaskan_ninja

Cliff was not meh. Playing live was when he shined!
"I don't claim you'll have a better time with Colt 45...but why take chances" - Billy Dee Williams
Quote by whitenihilist
You don't think Lennon deserverd the praise he got?
Of course not. He ended up being the most famous of the Beatles, even though Paul wrote more hit songs and George was more talented and had a better solo career. Simply put, it was because he died an untimely death while in the public eye. Was he good? Sure, but nowhere near the legendary figure people often make him out to be.

Quote by J.Rodier
Cliff was not meh. Playing live was when he shined!
You're just saying that because he died tragically.

Also, you like Nickelback, therefore your opinion is invalid.
kill all humans
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Of course not. He ended up being the most famous of the Beatles, even though Paul wrote more hit songs and George was more talented and had a better solo career. Simply put, it was because he died an untimely death while in the public eye. Was he good? Sure, but nowhere near the legendary figure people often make him out to be.

Fair enough, I was just wondering why you thought that.

I personally think dead-celebrity worship is a little over the top as well.
Quote by alaskan_ninja

You're just saying that because he died tragically.

Also, you like Nickelback, therefore your opinion is invalid.

I'm not saying that cause he died tragically, I'm saying that cause he was a great player. Can't say I'm suprised at the fact you don't know that since you can't even label real bass players on your profile.

Maybe also think people miss them cause they were nice people?
"I don't claim you'll have a better time with Colt 45...but why take chances" - Billy Dee Williams
Quote by J.Rodier
Can't say I'm suprised at the fact you don't know that since you can't even label real bass players on your profile.

Tom Hanks is my favourite guitarist...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Because when they die, Dean will make a new signiture guitar every year in their name from then on.
Basically, Dean arranged for the death of Dime to increase sales of Razorbacks.
Quote by alaskan_ninja

Yeah Dimebag was meh........wait....WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT JOHN LENNON!!!
I for one have no respect at all for Dimebag or Lennon.
Keep your friends close, and your enemies at gunpoint.
Where words fail, bullets speak.
Violence never solved anything, except for every conflict ever.

30-Day Album progress:
DONE.
Go ahead, click it. Ya know you want to.
oh wow! can you imagine if that^ was true!
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
I'd have to say Michael Jackson got pretty much glorified as he bit the dust, too.

they cannot write any new music, which means that what's out now is what you get, it's more limited than any other artist who is still alive making music today.

When we know a person is gone, I guess that we just realize that the stuff said person has written isn't that bad after all.
DeVillains!
Quote by Bizzare/mu/tant
I for one have no respect at all for Dimebag or Lennon.

Yea, if Dime or John had been worth respecting, they'd have headbutted the bullets back at their assailants and killed them.
Well, people deserve to have their own opinion right? If they think anyone is the best, they do. Simple as that.
Quote by MightyAl
Yea, if Dime or John had been worth respecting, they'd have headbutted the bullets back at their assailants and killed them.

No, they would have made good music. I'm not saying I have no respect for them because of how they died, I don't respect them because they're bad, over-rated musicians.

30-Day Album progress:
DONE.
In case of Michael Jackson - his death made people get more perspective on his life. Like, he isn't just the crazy black guy who turned white and then had a bunch of scandals - he also did Thriller and Bad... But of course, then it became too much, because media loves cashing in on celebrities' deaths.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by Bizzare/mu/tant
No, they would have made good music. I'm not saying I have no respect for them because of how they died, I don't respect them because they're bad, over-rated musicians.

See, now you just sound bitter.
Quote by DarTHie
In case of Michael Jackson - his death made people get more perspective on his life. Like, he isn't just the crazy black guy who turned white and then had a bunch of scandals - he also did Thriller and Bad... But of course, then it became too much, because media loves cashing in on celebrities' deaths.

I'm shocked they didn't start with the whole "scandels" thing when jacko died. Damn confusing media
Quote by MightyAl
See, now you just sound bitter.

I sound bitter because I dislike musicians that you like? Not sure I see your logic there.

30-Day Album progress:
DONE.
Quote by Bizzare/mu/tant
I sound bitter because I dislike musicians that you like? Not sure I see your logic there.

No, you sound bitter because of the "I have no respect for them because they're bad and overrated" thing.
I can take or leave Dime, and I've never really liked the Beatles. But the two of them made a lot of people happy with the music they made, and that is something which, IMO, is more deserving of respect than 'musicianship'.
Quote by alaskan_ninja

WHY THE FUCK IS JIMI HENDRIX NOT ON YOUR LIST?!?!?!
Quote by whitenihilist
Just because you don't like some one, doesn't make them a "bad" musician.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Also Over-rated =/= bad.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Martyrdom. its been a part of society since always.
But a the people still deserve the respect they get, and I think people just hear of people through news of deaths and grow to like them, especially the younger generation. I was 4 when Kurt Cobain died, and I didnt discover Nirvana til I was around 8 or 9. But I still have respect for the guy as if he were still here. Same with Dime, and I only got into Pantera about 2 years before he died.
Quote by alaskan_ninja

Dimebag, John Lennon and Cliff Burton were meh?

what a douche....
LIGHTNING
Quote by | Lightning |
Dimebag, John Lennon and Cliff Burton were meh?

what a douche....

THANK YOU!
Most of the people mentioned here were already pretty famous before they died. Better examples would be Jeff Buckley or Nick Drake.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots