I bought the MXR fullbore metal and....

i wish i had listened to the reviews. I am unable to get a good tone out of this thing, sounds like sandpaper rubbing together every time i "chug".

So back to GC i go tomorrow, but i wanted to ask for some ideas what to try next. i play in a metal/hardcore band like everyone else these days and am looking for something high gain, but that doesnt sound like bawls.

i have tried the boss metalcore and was not satisfied with that either. now before you say " buy a high gain tube head..." trust me i would if i could, but unfortunately at the moment all i can hope for is a distortion pedal around $100 : /

thanks for helping, merry Christmas
Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion. Seriously good stuff, and true bypass.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
yea i have the hardwire reverb and LOVE it, haven't heard their distortion pedal yet.
the problem i had with the mxr is that it sounded great on the 15w combo at GC, but then when i got it home on my 100w tube head, and cranked it, it sounded really bad. you could hear lots of digital artifacts in it
Quote by xkmattx
yea i have the hardwire reverb and LOVE it, haven't heard their distortion pedal yet.
the problem i had with the mxr is that it sounded great on the 15w combo at GC, but then when i got it home on my 100w tube head, and cranked it, it sounded really bad. you could hear lots of digital artifacts in it

Well, yeah, but that's the bad thing with pedals, they start to sound bad if you crank them. That's why most big time guitar players don't rely on pedals to actually make their live sound, but to just add to it, like boosting the od of the amp and stuff...
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
digitech hardwire metal distortion or EHX metal muff
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
what amp have you got?
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Hardwire. FFS, let's just kill the metalcore / metalzone completely. Gather em all up and in one big transistor-bonfire, roast em all.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by denied
barber dirty bomb barber dirty bomb barber dirty bomb.

+1 or spend $50.00 more and get a Keeley MT-2........All the Chug you can handle
Quote by WtrPlyr
Barber Dirty Bomb.

Beats the crap out of all things mentioned before, especially the Metal Muff.

This. Great tone, especially for the price.

The modded MT-2 could be cool too. Its more expensive, but sounds great in its own right.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet