I apologise if this has been asked 100 times. Mods, feel free to lock this and point me in the direction of the thread I should be asking in.

So I want to add a mic to my collection. At the moment I'm looking at recording my acoustic guitar because obviously it sounds so much better with the sound produced naturally than through the pickup. I'd like to be able to record vocals with it to, if it's possible to get a mic that can handle both. Should I be looking at an SM57? That's the best I've heard about regarding recording instrument/vocals.
I own a Shure SM58, it can pick up my acoustic guitar quite well, and it's excellent for vocals, but I haven't actually recorded my acoustic guitar with it, and only had it amplified through a PA with my microphone to add effects (delay, Phaser)
The SM57 is pretty decent for vocals and is of course the go to amp mic. For acoustic guitar though I'd look elsewhere. Check out the CAD M179. It's a gret mult-directional mic that runs about 130-140$. You can use it on Vox, Acoustic, Brass instruments, Amps, and Toms or Bass Drums. Its definitely a great mic.
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
The SM57 for sure. But Thomann offers a great copy of it, which costs about a quarter of the SM57. It's called the t.bone MB75.
Quote by lank81
The SM57 is pretty decent for vocals and is of course the go to amp mic. For acoustic guitar though I'd look elsewhere. Check out the CAD M179. It's a gret mult-directional mic that runs about 130-140$. You can use it on Vox, Acoustic, Brass instruments, Amps, and Toms or Bass Drums. Its definitely a great mic.

The CAD seems just a bit out of my price range, I'll definitely look into it further though.

If I did go for the Shure, would it be better to get an SM58 then just remove the pop filter for my guitar?
Dynamic mics are not designed for recording vocals or acoustic guitars, it would work, but you would get MUCH better results with a condenser. Do you have some way of getting phantom power to a microphone? If not, there are a couple of condenser microphones around that will take a 9v battery, the AKG C1000s off the top of my head, but the market really opens up if you do have an interface with phantom power.

Also, disregard this man's statement:
Quote by DarkValo666
The SM57 for sure. But Thomann offers a great copy of it, which costs about a quarter of the SM57. It's called the t.bone MB75.

I've never heard a t.bone mic that sounds anything but godawful. If you were going to go for a dynamic mic, go for the real thing, get an SM57, but if you want professional quality recordings, dynamic mics are NOT the way to go!
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I'm looking to just run it through my UX1. I don't think it uses phantom power? I don't have an acoustically sound room so wouldn't a dynamic mic be best for my setup?
The UX1 doesn't have phantom power, as I said, using a dynamic mic to record acoustic guitar & vocals would work, but the results wouldn't be great. You could do much worse than using an SM58 though.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
Dynamic mics are not designed for recording vocals or acoustic guitars, it would work, but you would get MUCH better results with a condenser. Do you have some way of getting phantom power to a microphone? If not, there are a couple of condenser microphones around that will take a 9v battery, the AKG C1000s off the top of my head, but the market really opens up if you do have an interface with phantom power.

Also, disregard this man's statement:

I've never heard a t.bone mic that sounds anything but godawful. If you were going to go for a dynamic mic, go for the real thing, get an SM57, but if you want professional quality recordings, dynamic mics are NOT the way to go!

I wouldn't say Dynamics aren't the way to go overall. There are some really great Dynamics for vocals i.e. Shure SM7B and EV RE-20. Those are used by many big name bands - Green Day and Bruce Springsteen jump to mind but overall Dynamics are used much more and are more versatile. If you can spring for a Dynamic and have Phantom Power, he's right, it's the best choice for your applications. A really cheap Dynamic series is the MXL 67. I know a lot of guys on gearslutz.com who enjoy them and with some simple self mods can even create better recordings. It's no U87 but it'll do goo for you and under 100$.
My Gear:
I didn't mean dynamics aren't the way to go overall, just that for this specific application a condenser would probably be better suited, as close micing drums or electric guitar amps would be better suited to a dynamic most of the time.

I'd recommend getting a condenser mic, you can pick up phantom power supplies fairly cheaply these days - I've not had much experience with MXL mics myself, but I've heard fairly good things about them considering the price, so it sems like as good an option as any other budget condenser.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Sam,
What do you think is in his price range other than the MXL or CAD? Maybe a Studio Projects B-1 or AT 2020? Not sure there is much else worth looking at Sub 100. Maybe an Apex Ribbon but those are sometimes ok sometimes crappy depending on if there is ribbon sag, etc.

Lank
My Gear:
You can't beat the transparency of a condenser mic for vocals..........the biggest problem with condenser mics is that they pick up "everything". If you get a cheaper (lower end) condenser mic....you may want to consider running it through a noise gate to cut out the floor noise.

Dynamic mics are good instruments and mic'ing cabs.....and will work for vocals, but you can hear the difference.
I think I'll go with the Shure at the moment and I'll upgrade to a condenser later when I have some more dosh.
Still wondering, is it worth getting the SM58 and then just taking the top off and removing the pop filter when recording an instrument?
The AKG Perception 220 goes for a little over $100, but you could probably get one second hand for less, the 2020 & B1 are also fairly good for the price. I've not had much experience with ribbon mics, I don't really like the dark characteristic most of them have.

You shouldn't need to remove the top - it won't change the tonal characteristic all that much, but try with & without and see what you prefer.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
what exactly is your budget? i mean for under $100 i would recomend the mxl 990 and 991 combo pack. of course if you dont have phantom power you will also need a preamp, at which point you could probably pick up a better condensor. but that would still leave you without phantom power...

anyway, i wouldnt go for a sm57/8 if your main goal is to record acoustic and vocals. the 57 is fantastic for micing your cab or snare, and the 58 is a great live vocal mic, but i dont think either are the most suited towards what you want.

so what do you have, and what is your budget?