This isn’t a complaint thread, it’s a serious question. Why are standard strat necks shaped the way that they are? For some reason I’m having a hard time getting my hand comfortable on my strat after years of not playing, but it’s just fine on my Schecter. I know that the Strat is a fine guitar, so clearly I’m doing something wrong and I need to figure it out.

And this is a 97 MIM strat, BTW.
Quote by sglover34479
You aren't doing anything wrong, different guitars feel better/worse for different people. The shecter neck is made more for your hand, if it bugs you that much and you want to play the strat swap the necks.

if you want to switch the necks, make sure the scale length matches!
I like some Strat necks and not others. Personally, I prefer as much wood in my hand as possible.
Hi, I'm Peter
İ got an cool strat and a jackson RR3 rhoads

my strat's neck shape is soft V and its too old.. (i think its my big brother)
RR3 neck shape is standart C shape and its must be better than strat beacuse i paid lot for it

i love both of my guitars and rhoads looking COOOLL however i can pla trash metal with my strat while i can do it with my rr3 which builded for metal.. Beacuse of neck..

Every person has its own guitar... may be the best guitar is not good for you..
Quote by TjerG
if you want to switch the necks, make sure the scale length matches!

It doesn’t. The Schecter is a set-in neck baritone. But I might just get a new neck for the Strat—I was thinking about getting new tuners anyway…
Your shecter probably has a much narrower neck than your strat, so it's different than what you're used to. Persist with it, or just accept that the strat is not as good to play as the shecter for you.
The neck profiles on Strats have varied over the years. You can find V's, D's, C's, asymetrical, etc and then you have varying thicknesses within each profile as well. The trick is to find what profile feels the best to you. No one shape is 'better' than another just as no color is better than another as it's 100% personal preference.
Necks in the old days were pretty thick just the way they made things then. So any strat based on those old specs will have a pretty thick neck. Tastes change as do playing styles. Its all personal preference. People still buy piles of vintage style strats so fender doesnt really see a reason to change a very successful design. Your best bet is a newer thinner neck.
it is not just a matter of preference but also what you are used to. if you played only that strat for a month and then went back to your schecter, the schecter very well may be the guitar that feels uncomfortable.

with that said, there are always going to be certain specs that are suit your hands. for example, my hands like the 25 scale length on my prs because it is easier to stretch on than a 25.5 neck.

you should probably try to stick with the strat for a while longer and then get rid of it if you still dont like it.
Quote by Dirk Gently
I like some Strat necks and not others. Personally, I prefer as much wood in my hand as possible.

I never got along with the standard strat thin C neck of the last few decades. Too small.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by vaca11
my strat's neck shape is soft V and its too old.. (i think its my big brother)

Wow I want a strat for a big brother....
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W