Page 1 of 2
I have someone trying to sell me this guitar as a gibson les paul. From the crappy pictures, I dont think it says gibson across the top of the headstock, but the square plate on the back does, but again i have never really seen a les paul with that plate. They only want $120 for it so even if it is an epi or a decent copy it is not a bad deal, but if it is a gibson i will probably crap myself for getting the deal. Thanks!
Attachments:
guitar 1.jpg
guitar 2.jpg
1) get the serial number. Check it with Gibson.

2) ask for clean photos of the headstock.
gibson usually opt for set necks not bolt-ons, but even if it was a custom with a bolt-on, it would be a lot more than 120 bucks
Doesn't look like a Gibson at all, the bolt on neck gives it away, and the headstock shape seems abit off to be a Gibson.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Jeez, you rookies are missing the most important details.

(Invalid img)

Note in this photo that the brand name is labeled on the headstock vertically down the middle. Since the beginning of friggin' time, Gibson has always branded it horizontally along the top of the headstock. Also, REAL Les Pauls don't have dot inlays, they have the trapezoid blocks.

(Invalid img)

In this photo, you'll notice several problems. Gibsons are not bolt-on necks. They have never used bolt-on, except for lower-end Epiphones. Even at that, I don't believe they use back plates on their necks either. Another problem: the neck is a natural finish, probably with a satin feel to it. All Gibsons, including Les Pauls have a nitrocellulose finish matching the color and feel of the body.

Now, what is this guy's email/contact information. He and I have some business to attend to
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Dec 18, 2009,
Sounds suspicious. Might be that the plate only is from a gibson, or the neck - the only way to make sure is the serial number.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
That is exactly what i expected to hear. I will tell her to cram it as i need a random knock off guitar like i need a live lobster implanted in my left kidney.
Quote by pacrat77j
That is exactly what i expected to hear. I will tell her to cram it as i need a random knock off guitar like i need a live lobster implanted in my left kidney.

What's her contact information. She needs to be informed of the severity of her actions here.

Quote by The^Unforgiven
Sounds suspicious. Might be that the plate only is from a gibson, or the neck - the only way to make sure is the serial number.

Gibson doesn't use neck plates, all their necks are set, not bolt, and the necks are always matched in color and finish to the body.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by KCBAND
its an epi gibson set there necks with glue rather than bolting em on

It's not even an Epi. The logo is all wrong. And most Epis are set-necks as well. It's only shit like the G-310 that's bolt-on.

plus the headstock is wrong for an Epi.
You deserve to own this guitar for even considering it could be real. LOOK AT IT!!!!!!
What's her contact information. She needs to be informed of the severity of her actions here.

I found it listed on Craigslist (another "ding" in the fishy column) under
Gibson LP Siganture Series - $120 (Lake Dallas)

http://dallas..craigslist.org/ndf/msg/1514464230.html

she can be contacted through the ad.

Thanks again for all the help, I thought it didnt look right, but am still new at this game and wanted to make sure
Alright Captain Dickweed, what's the plan?
Quote by danohat
You deserve to own this guitar for even considering it could be real. LOOK AT IT!!!!!!

Eat me. There are thousands of variations of guitars out there and I have been playing for about 4 months now so really dont know. Hence me asking the question here. Thank you to everyone with helpful information
Well, there are several wrong things there: the headstock, the inlays, the bridge, the neck joint (well, the whole neck in fact), the back plate...

I don't know what it is, but it surely isn't a Gibson (and not even a Epiphone). Probably just a piece of junk judging from how it looks and the info you've been given.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Always be skeptical of any guitar. People are thieves. Do your research. You'll be fine.

Problem solved, hopefully... given that she is a scammer, she'll most likely to and refute it and make stupid claims, but we'll see.
whatever, some grandmother will spend the $120 and give it to her 12 year old grandkid for Christmas who will think it's the bulls balls.
Quote by ext1jdh
whatever, some grandmother will spend the $120 and give it to her 12 year old grandkid for Christmas who will think it's the bulls balls.

Unless she removes the ad. If she doesn't I'm reporting it to Gibson.
And by the time they get around to investigating it, the thing will be sold or otherwise removed.

EDIT: I'm not saying what she's doing isnt wrong, I'm just saying that going after people selling stuff on craigslist is like winning the special olympics.
Just for the record, Gibson has made some bolt on guitars. The Sonnex was bolt on, if I remember correctly.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
it is a gibson
well
at least a guitar made by a gibson owned company

http://www.avbristol.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=88

its clear to see that this is the guitar

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=229172&C=Froogle&U=229172&T=Module

and you basically just threatend a woman who probably doenst know anything about guitars
and read gibson on the backplate and signature on the headstock
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Last edited by steve! at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by ext1jdh
And by the time they get around to investigating it, the thing will be sold or otherwise removed.

EDIT: I'm not saying what she's doing isnt wrong, I'm just saying that going after people selling stuff on craigslist is like winning the special olympics.

I'll take any win I can get in the war against forgery

And thanks Joel.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I'll take any win I can get in the war against forgery

And thanks Joel.

exept its not a win
its just some woman whos probably selling it for her son
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Quote by steve!
exept its not a win
its just some woman whos probably selling it for her son

Tough shit. She should have researched it more before trying to market it as a "Gibson Les Paul Signature."

PS, the small win comment was a joke. try to keep up.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Tough shit. She should have researched it more before trying to market it as a "Gibson Les Paul Signature."

PS, the small win comment was a joke. try to keep up.

but thats what they are
gibsons signature les paul guitars
cheap beginner guitars

its the same as someone putting gibson somewhere in the name whilst selling an epiphone
like gibson epiphone les paul
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Quote by steve!
but thats what they are
cheap beginner guitars

its the same as someone putting gibson somewhere in the name whilst selling an epiphone

Here's a Squier Bullet. It's like a Fender, but it's just cheaper. But it's still a bona fide Fender....

get my point?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']

Here's a Squier Bullet. It's like a Fender, but it's just cheaper. But it's still a bona fide Fender....

get my point?

i just think your a bit of a dick
the woman obv isnt a guitarist
and you have sent her a email like that
when she hasnt done a thing wrong
you could easily report it to gibson
and they would say that it is a guitar under the gibson brand
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Quote by Banana Wedgie
Firstly, the Gibson logo goes horrizontaly across the top of the headstock so it is fake.

However, Gibson did make a bolt on guitar, my local guitar shop sells one and here is the link

Thanks, Wedge.

That, I can believe, but the amount of problems with the one being sold in CL, I have never seen ANY Gibson with the logo going up 'n' down on the headstock.
Quote by steve!
i just think your a bit of a dick
the woman obv isnt a guitarist
and you have sent her a email like that
when she hasnt done a thing wrong
you could easily report it to gibson
and they would say that it is a guitar under the gibson brand

Your posts
are not poems
so stop typing them
like that
as it's really annoying to read
thanks.

And false advertising is something wrong. Advertising a Maestro as a Gibson, without mentioning the brand Maestro in the ad at all, is exactly like selling a Squier as a Fender without mention of the word Squier at all. It's tricking buyers into wasting their money on something they thought was a great deal.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
Your posts
are not poems
so stop typing them
like that
as it's really annoying to read
thanks.

And false advertising is something wrong. Advertising a Maestro as a Gibson, without mentioning the brand Maestro in the ad at all, is exactly like selling a Squier as a Fender without mention of the word Squier at all. It's tricking buyers into wasting their money on something they thought was a great deal.

the guitar itself does not actually say maestro on it it only says signature on the headstock
and gibson on the neck plate
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Except it's only trickery if you know what you're talking about. It's not trickery if you don't realize that your Epiphone by Gibson isn't really a Gibson because...and here's the important part...you're not a guitarist. To the untrained eye they're the same. Of course we know they're different but so many people a guitar is just a guitar.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Quote by steve!
but thats what they are
cheap beginner guitars

Best Buy used to sell these before they started really getting into sell musical instruments.

I don't remember how much they sold for, but I remember the bridge was a single stop tail piece without the TOM, they were bolt on necks with dots and the headstock looked a little off, but closer to a Gibson rather than an Epiphone which I thought didn't make sense. Why not put the Epiphone name on it if it's not the quality of a Gibson but below that of an even an entry level Epi?

It is a real Gibson, just a very low entry level model. I'd only call her a BS'er if she was selling it for a more than what she's asking right now.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Dec 18, 2009,
I feel like I threw a firecracker into a monkey cage and ran away.

Thanks for all the help and from keeping me from buying a gibson and getting a maestro! Like I said, I am pretty new to electric scene and this forum is a huge help.
Page 1 of 2