I got a Hohner G3T from eBay. It looked absolutely new in the photos, and I low-balled it at about $355 and, unbelievably, won.

I am pretty sure it's a Steinberger R-Trem, though the saddles look different than R-Trem pics I have found on the web.

One reason I bought this guitar is that, out of the 11 guitars I own, only 2 have vibratos, and those are Bigsbys. I wanted just one guitar that I could dive-bomb with, and the reviews I read (literally 100% of the reviews I read, and I read every one I could find) gave me the impression that these guitars were virtually impossible to knock out of tune.

Well, I can't get mine to stay in tune! I didn't think all of the reviewers were bullshitting me, so there must be something else going on. The thing is new, so I doubt if it's broken. Is it bad from the factory?

Or, is there something else going on? An adjustment I don't know about?

After that long-winded intro, let me explain what is going on, specifically:

If I hold the guitar vertically, with the bridge closest to the floor, the saddles all fall down (away from the bridge pickup). If I divebomb with the "head" of the guitar pointing straight down, vertically, the saddles all slide towards the bridge pickup.

Obviously, intonation is lost after a few minutes of even mild whammy bar use.

There must be a way to lock them into place, mustn't there?

I see some allen screws, might one of them need tightening?
Lois: How am I supposed to live in this town if I'm a social pariah?

Peter: What's that? That them little fish that eat cows?
Last edited by McDuffie at Dec 18, 2009,
If I'm not mistaken the trems on those are licensed and not the "real" deal. I've played a couple and never had a tuning issue, so maybe new strings? It may not help much but I own a Steinberger Synapse and though it has a fixed bridge, it has similar adjustments as the trem and it takes some screwing around with. I don't see you hurting the bridge at all, they're well built so I guess mess around with the adjustments.
Quote by celticstorm84
If I'm not mistaken the trems on those are licensed and not the "real" deal. I've played a couple and never had a tuning issue, so maybe new strings? It may not help much but I own a Steinberger Synapse and though it has a fixed bridge, it has similar adjustments as the trem and it takes some screwing around with. I don't see you hurting the bridge at all, they're well built so I guess mess around with the adjustments.

The strings are new and wouldn't cause the saddles to slide back and forth, even if they were old.

We just moved, so I am searching through boxes for my allen wrenchs. I will just start tweaking.
Lois: How am I supposed to live in this town if I'm a social pariah?

Peter: What's that? That them little fish that eat cows?
It sounds like the screws that allow intonation adjustment on the bridge are not tight. Look at how the bridge is designed, and figure out what is supposed to hold the saddles in place.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
ok, get a 1mm allen key and tighten the side screw. when wearing your guitar look down, about 1cm left of the tremolo arm is a small hole. tighten that up when you have your saddles in the correct position. Problem solved.

Contact me for more details if needed...
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
I just bought a used one from ebay about 3 weeks ago for $305, it's definitely been used, but the tuning does not change a bit, so I would think something is definitely wrong with yours.