I've just started Guitar lessons up again but can only afford 2 lessons a month, would this be enough for me to get knowledge to be able to play the guitar or would i need more lessons in the month to progress further?
Yes, as long as you stay motivated and work for it it should be enough.
Just stay clear with your teacher; ask him for stuff to practice on which will keep you busy for more than a week, otherwise things get repetitive and boring.
Your ability to progress lie solely with you and how much you are willing to put into it. Personally, I don't think lessons twice a month are enough, but again, it depends on how much you put into the time in between practicing.

I agree with Equivalence... make sure you get enough material to practice on during those two weeks or you'll start spinning your wheels.
just stay with tabs aswell...

ive noticed people who just do lessons and thats it tend to progress slowley with more knowledge of theory

and people who are self taught progress quickly with little knowledge of theory

so if ya do both...
Good idea Link but I dunno where to start teaching myself, I know there are tutorails but i really have no clue but maybe once i get a knack of it, I maybe just maybe probably get ahold of self teaching.

but seriously guys, cheers for your views on this.

edit: I'le probably be able to get 3 lessons dunno if that'll be better.
Last edited by DamagedLegion at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by link no1
just stay with tabs aswell...

ive noticed people who just do lessons and thats it tend to progress slowley with more knowledge of theory

and people who are self taught progress quickly with little knowledge of theory

so if ya do both...

90% of youtube guitarist are self taught.

At least half of them either suck or have flaws in their playing they aren't aware off.

To TS;

A teacher is great to have.

I've had one teacher for a while who basically kept me sharp on my conciousness. I think this is the most important aspect of a teacher, to teach you how to recognise your flaws, and what to look for.

Often is the case, that because ur so busy playing guitar or focusing on one aspect( whether it be technique, or something small as a choice of notes), that it (subconsciously) gonna affect other aspects of ur playing.

A teacher who is objective can help u notice this stuff, and this greatly aids ur playing ability, but further more it helps ur learning ability toward guitar as well.

On a second note, a good mindset to have is to see every guitarplayer as a teacher.

Guy might not be able to shred, but might have interesting vibrato, or guy can't play country, but knows how to do some cool jazz chords.

Hope this helps, and to give a more practical answer. Be sure to know what you want to learn and be open about it.

If you for example want to learn funk, but the only teaches you metallica songs, then you should consider a different teacher.

It will make you all more the happier when you found a teacher that can truly teach you what you want to learn.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by DamagedLegion
I've just started Guitar lessons up again but can only afford 2 lessons a month, would this be enough for me to get knowledge to be able to play the guitar or would i need more lessons in the month to progress further?

It's hard to say, and so I have a few questions:

1. What are you wanting to learn, (theory, lead, basic chords etc)?

2. Time and experience on the Guitar?

3. Do the lessons appear to be going where you want them to?

4. Is it paced right, or does it feel like its dragging, or goes too fast?

5. Does the guitar instructor have a solid feel for the direction that you want to go?

6. How much are you paying right now for lessons?

7. How long are current lessons?

At our Academy a lesson is 30 mins, it goes by fast but the content can be done very easily once every two weeks. Most of our Academy Students take 1 lesson a week. They find that's just enough, and that more would be too much.

You need the right fit with the right teacher that has the ability to teach, and provides structure and a clear organized path to help you reach your goals.

Just because someone hangs a shingle doesn't mean they can teach. So, I think the teacher themselves has so much to do with the quality of instruction. But on your part, you have to put the time away from the lesson, or you'll be spinning your wheels, basically falling behind every week, and paying money thats not getting you anywhere.
Last edited by Sean0913 at Dec 18, 2009,
I teach intermediate and advanced students and they all take bi-weekly lessons.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but, the lesson time is not the important part, it's the practice time. You can take a lesson once a year and as long as you are consistently practicing, you'll probably get good. Think how many great players got great with no lessons.

Bi-weekly lessons are great because it give you time to work the lesson...

MY #1 ADVICE FOR TAKING LESSONS IS...

record the whole lesson on a recorder. That way you can take the lesson over an over in between lessons. It will help you get over the "it sounded great in the lesson, not what was it again?" issue...you'll be able to hear the things he's showing you. And with repeated listening you'll remember all the stuff he talked about that went in one ear and out the other. And, if there's something you still don't get after listening to it a few times, you then have questions or things he needs to review with you before moving on.

RECORD THE LESSONS!
Quote by Sean0913
It's hard to say, and so I have a few questions:

1. What are you wanting to learn, (theory, lead, basic chords etc)?

2. Time and experience on the Guitar?

3. Do the lessons appear to be going where you want them to?

4. Is it paced right, or does it feel like its dragging, or goes too fast?

5. Does the guitar instructor have a solid feel for the direction that you want to go?

6. How much are you paying right now for lessons?

7. How long are current lessons?

At our Academy a lesson is 30 mins, it goes by fast but the content can be done very easily once every two weeks. Most of our Academy Students take 1 lesson a week. They find that's just enough, and that more would be too much.

You need the right fit with the right teacher that has the ability to teach, and provides structure and a clear organized path to help you reach your goals.

Just because someone hangs a shingle doesn't mean they can teach. So, I think the teacher themselves has so much to do with the quality of instruction. But on your part, you have to put the time away from the lesson, or you'll be spinning your wheels, basically falling behind every week, and paying money thats not getting you anywhere.

Nice questions but I can only answer a few, I'm looking to learn lead, basic chords and music theory (anything and everything really) I've had expierence with the guitar before but not much knowledge really but the guitar teacher, I'm looking to get lessons with has teached me before and I did pick up techniques alot quicker with this guy in the past even was scheduled to do some shows, so I have worked with him before and have some expierence with the guitar.

this guy i was learning with seemed to have a solid direction before and i did as said before pick up some stuff quick with him so i guess so. Lessons also didnt seem to go too quick (i cant really answer this yet, as I'm yet to get booked in for a lesson)

I'm looking at paying £13 per lesson (3 lessons per month so a lesson a week bar one week) lessons would be half an' hour or I'm guessing, still need to discuss details.

Quote by MikeDodge
I teach intermediate and advanced students and they all take bi-weekly lessons.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but, the lesson time is not the important part, it's the practice time. You can take a lesson once a year and as long as you are consistently practicing, you'll probably get good. Think how many great players got great with no lessons.

Bi-weekly lessons are great because it give you time to work the lesson...

MY #1 ADVICE FOR TAKING LESSONS IS...

record the whole lesson on a recorder. That way you can take the lesson over an over in between lessons. It will help you get over the "it sounded great in the lesson, not what was it again?" issue...you'll be able to hear the things he's showing you. And with repeated listening you'll remember all the stuff he talked about that went in one ear and out the other. And, if there's something you still don't get after listening to it a few times, you then have questions or things he needs to review with you before moving on.

RECORD THE LESSONS!

#Noted:

Never had that tip before but its a good idea.

cheers
Last edited by DamagedLegion at Dec 18, 2009,
I'd say one hour fortnightly lessons are just as good as half hour weekly lessons. Maybe at the beginning, shorter, more frequent lessons are good, just to instill in you good technique, but once your comfortable with the instrument every other week is fine as long as you stay on top of practicing.
Quote by Minion2580
I didnt learn shit from guitar lessons

I can't tell if thats sarcasm, but I honestly didn't learn anything, and I switched teachers a good 3 or 4 times.

I've always learned by playing with other guitarist after about a year of teaching myself. But before that I sat down with a book, learned chords, and played songs and developed on my own. I listened to music and played until my fingers bled.
understandble but people are different and maybe you guys didn't have the right teacher, I know It'll be cheaper if i teach myself but I wouldnt have the brain power to know where to start atleast with these lessons (witha sound dude) will give me some basis.

I know It'll be hard work but like verything else I've done so far, I will give nothing but 110% in practice so that isnt a problem, my problem was whether or not this would help me progress far with the amount of lessons on offer but thanks for your replies, been more than helpful.