I've been seeing his adds lately and he seems like a knowledgeable guy and great guitarist but are his lessons worth investing my time/money? has anyone had any experiences with him? has he ever taught anyone here? apparently he has taught Rusty Cooley so thats pretty interesting. But uhmm yeh thanks in advance
I haven't had a lesson with him but from all the videos I've watched and information I've read, he seems like a very knowledgeable guitar player and master teacher. If you truly want to become great with a guitar I would take lessons from him.
apparently he has taught Rusty Cooley
I was under the impression Rusty was self-taught.

And in my opinion, that's by far way too much for guitar lessons. I can't see him doing anything special to be honest.
Call me Batman.
I was actually considering making this thread earlier today...
I think he's great and would probably be a great teacher, but he's gonna tell you what everyone hanging in this thread is-practice!
Don't waste your money. A teacher who charges almost a thousand bucks a month is obviously one who will be teaching players who are already very good and want to become excellent or is one who has a very distorted view of his teaching ability. Either way, you're better off finding a cheaper teacher to show you the ropes, especially considering that until you're very good, he'll be telling you the same stuff that he'll tell other people - practice this and improve.
I don't know enough about Hess to know if he's worth the money, but in more general terms I think the only scenario where it makes sense to pay a guitar teacher that kind of money is when you are already a very good guitar player and you are looking to take your playing to the next level, beyond what the "average" teacher can help you with. I'm sure guys like Kirk Hammett are paying more than $20 per half hour session. If you are going to a top teacher it's all supply/demand. If guys can charge hundreds per hour and get clients they are going to do it.

But I think the average guy just starting out can do just as well with a good teacher who doesn't charge a lot.
for 1000 a month you could probably get lessons from paul gilbert.

guess who i'd prefer?

And unless you're a professional guitarist already and plan to make a living with only guitar playing, then I'd go for it. But else, no way.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Dec 19, 2009,
Quote by WishfulShredder
if you want to know how to sweep pick and little else, go for it

um... that's not all he does?

Quote by hippieboy444
I was actually considering making this thread earlier today...
I think he's great and would probably be a great teacher, but he's gonna tell you what everyone hanging in this thread is-practice!

Nah, practice is obvious. He would tell you several specific strategies and how to do them.

And yes, he's a master teacher so he would teach already-good players, not intermediate or novice. He basically takes good players and makes them great.
Quote by tenfold
um... that's not all he does?

Nah, practice is obvious. He would tell you several specific strategies and how to do them.

And yes, he's a master teacher so he would teach already-good players, not intermediate or novice. He basically takes good players and makes them great.

he has a HELL of a lot of articles about sweep-picking
Quote by jfreyvogel
Dudes....

$997.00 Monthly

4 lessons per month, 1 hour each

He's good but thats a little much don't you think?...

It screams gold digger.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Too expensive for me, but he's still an amazing guitarist and teacher.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
I took lessons with Tom for several years and I personally know a lot of his really good students.

The rate quoted above is the amount for private lessons intense training. His online guitar lessons are much more affordable than private lessons and are totally worth the money.

Tom does a lot more for his students than any other private teacher would be willing to do, so the amount of money you pay for value received is really very small. For example, he holds special free events for his students where he teaches master classes on specific musical topics and brings in other incredible guitar players to hold master classes as well. In September of last year for example, he brought in George Bellas to do an depth master class about composition (I was there and got to jam with George, it was GREAT!...there is actually a youtube video of this somehwere). All of this was free to his students. I have had several private teachers years ago who actually charge the same or similar to what I paid for online lessons with Tom but I didn't even get 10% of the result I did from studying with Tom.

His lessons are really effective if you actually work with them and put in the time to do what he tells you to do and are organized and specific to your goals. This helps to get the results much faster than learning only from abstract articles and random lessons on the internet.

+1 to what tenfold says except for the statement about teaching only advanced students. Tom does have MANY intermediate students who became advanced from studying with him (I have met a lot of them). Like here for example: http://tomhess.net/Students.aspx
Last edited by Mike_Philippov at Jan 15, 2010,
Quote by Mike_Philippov
I took lessons with Tom for several years and I personally know a lot of his really good students.

The rate quoted above is the amount for private lessons intense training. His online guitar lessons are much more affordable than private lessons and are totally worth the money.

Tom does a lot more for his students than any other private teacher would be willing to do, so the amount of money you pay for value received is really very small. For example, he holds special free events for his students where he teaches master classes on specific musical topics and brings in other incredible guitar players to hold master classes as well. In September of last year for example, he brought in George Bellas to do an depth master class about composition (I was there and got to jam with George, it was GREAT!...there is actually a youtube video of this somehwere). All of this was free to his students. I have had several private teachers years ago who actually charge the same or similar to what I paid for online lessons with Tom but I didn't even get 10% of the result I did from studying with Tom.

His lessons are really effective if you actually work with them and put in the time to do what he tells you to do and are organized and specific to your goals. This helps to get the results much faster than learning only from abstract articles and random lessons on the internet.

+1 to what tenfold says except for the statement about teaching only advanced students. Tom does have MANY intermediate students who became advanced from studying with him (I have met a lot of them). Like here for example: http://tomhess.net/Students.aspx

+1 Mike, I'm one of Tom's Correspondence Students and love it. The best part is that while the lessons are affordable, you get to keep the content FOREVER, so it's like the perpetual guitar lesson than only getting it one time. I totally recommend his lessons. PLUS! It's easy to say practice, practice, practice, but I never truly understood how to practice correctly until I started taking from Tom. Correct, effective and efficient practice is something that is deeper than sitting down to learn a song with a metronome.
Last edited by Brad Litton at Jan 15, 2010,
hes good but way overpriced.you can find most of the stuff he teaches on the internet and you can figure stuff out by just practicing yourself and coming up with more economical hand movements
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
$1,000?

Chris Broderick used to (and hopefully will again after his tour) give lessons at a rate of $35 for a half of an hour.

That's $280 for the same amount of teaching as this guy, but from Chris mother****ing Broderick!

Here's a link to his site: http://chrisbroderick.com/html/lessons.htm
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Last edited by Scopic at Jan 15, 2010,
Quote by Scopic
$1,000?

Chris Broderick used to (and hopefully will again after his tour) give lessons at a rate of $35 for a half of an hour.

That's $280 for the same amount of teaching as this guy, but from Chris mother****ing Broderick!

EDIT: Just checked his site (http://chrisbroderick.com/html/lessons.htm) and his lessons are once again available! Learn from a master!

35$ for half an hour? thats cheap And not just for pro guitar lessons.

Dave Weiner gives online lessons, don't know the rate tho (45-65$ an hour I think)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Sorry to bump this thread, I hope you don't mind. But I'm also thinking about taking correspondence lessons? Are there more people who took correspondence lessons here?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.

I know some people are seeing results from him but the "special masterclasses" aren't going to be available outside of the US - and for the same price you could take lessons from Rusty Cooley and Greg Howe.

And all I've seen from Tom are copypasta lessons, I'd rather have a teacher genuinely listen and respond.

Maybe the guys who replied could enlighten me a bit more about what you get and why it's worth such incredible rates.
Quote by Freepower

And all I've seen from Tom are copypasta lessons

what do you mean?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Quote by 08L1V10N
what do you mean?

You might get lessons that were supposedly tailored to your (and however many others') skill level.

Personally designed "strategies" (what are we, commercial businessmen?) brought to you by Copy & Paste inc., sponsored by Xerox.
Well, what I mean is that though he may send out lessons based on the student's aims and current level - it's just pre-prepared lessons sent out.

Now, if those lessons are brilliant, that might be fine but it's very easy to miss something essential for a particular student if you don't actually write the lesson for them.

I'm more than happy for Tom or a student to chip in on this.
Does anybody know if it's a lot material in each lesson or is it just a few exercises and some articles?
Quote by razorback91

Honestly, if you know how to use the internet and you are resourceful, you can find plenty of books on proper mechanics and music theory. I thought about learning from Tom at one point, but I picked up on his sales pitch and decided anyone who put this much time into their sales pitch was doing so to market an inferior/overpriced product.
Recommended threads
Tom Hess
Jeremy.R5544998
Last post:
by Mike Johnston