So I've been looking for an amp for some time now. I just can't seem to find anything that I really want that's worth the money. I was messing around with my GT-10 a few months ago and I came across the tone I'm looking for. I'm trying to find something similar to that tone. The preamp isn't an amp model, it's a custom preamp with a custom cab so it's not really based on anything that I know of. I would describe it as fat, saturated, and punchy.

This is pretty similar to the tone I have. It's also made using a Boss:
http://www.12fret.com/new/SoundFiles/Ibanez_FR2620_Mike_McAvan_dist.mp3

Budget is $1500 and I would prefer it to be a giggable 112 combo (for transportation reasons), maybe 212 if it's really great.
For 1500 you can pretty much buy every combo used.
Just check out some things and look for them used.
The tone from the sound sample isn't really punchy though, just fat and saturated.
For good metaltones look for a nice mesa combo, engl combo, peavey jsx combo, fryette, 6505+ combo (would save you some cash to),... there are so many amps out there
Quote by henis
For 1500 you can pretty much buy every combo used.
Just check out some things and look for them used.
The tone from the sound sample isn't really punchy though, just fat and saturated.
For good metaltones look for a nice mesa combo, engl combo, peavey jsx combo, fryette, 6505+ combo (would save you some cash to),... there are so many amps out there

I've tried a bunch of those, but the only one that actually had the qualities that I'm were the Fryettes. The others were just too high gain. They didn't do mid-gain well and they didn't sound fat and saturated.

And am I looking more for power-amp distortion than preamp?