can you mix different pickups with different outputs? will this mean when i change from bridge to neck, lets say, it get quieter? or louder?

or will it be the same volume just with different sesitivity?
Quote by Mini-Jimmy-Page
can you mix different pickups with different outputs? will this mean when i change from bridge to neck, lets say, it get quieter? or louder?

or will it be the same volume just with different sesitivity?

I think you can.

And it changes the sensitivity.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I think you can.

And it changes the sensitivity.

Yes you can. In fact, quite a few DiMarzio combos mix n match from low, medium, and high output selections.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Same with Duncans, right? Like 59 in the neck and a high output Dimebucker in the bridge.

**** the Dimebucker, but yes.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, you can mix any output of pickup combonations, you just can't mix Actives with Passives unless you want to go into wireing setup hell.

My friend says he is gonna put an EMG 81 in the bridge and a Duncan 59 in the neck of his brand new melody maker.

I made it clear to him this isn't possible (yet) because it has single coils.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
My friend says he is gonna put an EMG 81 in the bridge and a Duncan 59 in the neck of his brand new melody maker.

I made it clear to him this isn't possible (yet) because it has single coils.

Yeah, after routing it'll be possible, I wouldnt do it though, since you'll only have two pickup selections, bridge and neck.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, after routing it'll be possible, I wouldnt do it though, since you'll only have two pickup selections, bridge and neck.

What would we do with out 5 pick up selections? Probably kill ourselves.
Quote by CL/\SH
What would we do with out 5 pick up selections? Probably kill ourselves.

Nah, but it is a bummer going from 5 pickup selections to 3, but this guy is gona force himself down to 2, so he can't mix bridge and neck pickups, which is very nice to have in alot of situations.
does this work with any pick ups then im thnking of getting some emgs and mixing it with a zakk wylde pick up would that work ?
Quote by Tempo_guitar
does this work with any pick ups then im thnking of getting some emgs and mixing it with a zakk wylde pick up would that work ?

Aren't Zakk Wylde pickups made by EMG and in fact just a 81/85 set with les paul tone & volume controls? I know they used to be.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
Aren't Zakk Wylde pickups made by EMG and in fact just a 81/85 set with les paul tone & volume controls? I know they used to be.

Sort of, their really just a standard 81/85 set with the words ZAKK WYLDE printed on them, not a damn thing different from them over a standard set, other than price.
also do you think that the bobbin colours would be the same for different series?

like would it be the same shade of red between different Di Marzio models???
yes its the output i was worried about, i'm not fussed about a slightly different shade........but hey, theres nothing wrong with chasing perfection
Quote by ethan_hanus
Sort of, their really just a standard 81/85 set with the words ZAKK WYLDE printed on them, not a damn thing different from them over a standard set, other than price.

OK. I was pretty sure that was the case, but the guy's enough of an endorsement ***** I figured there was a chance of a new ZW pickup set from someone else.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Nothing wrong with that. You shouldent worry about output of the pickups, the neck pickup is supposed to be less output than the bridge anyway, since your strings are louder and more bassy near the neck.

My rhythm pickup is louder than my bridge anyway, so I mainly just use that one. All the bridge does is add treble to it
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']My rhythm pickup is louder than my bridge anyway, so I mainly just use that one. All the bridge does is add treble to it

Well, just think about how your string vibrate relative to their position. The closer you are to the mounting point(the bridge) the less vibration there is, the farther out you go(the neck) the more vibration that occurs, the higer frequency the vibration will be, so its louder and more bassy. I have an EMG 81 81 set up on my guitar, and the neck is in fact louder, but its extremly bassy and not as defined as the bridge pickup is because there is less vibration at the bridge.

Physics is a wonderful thing to know.