Ok, i got a good deal on a marshall 1960a 4x12 guitar cab for 400 bucks in pretty good condition a couple of months back. I've been using it with a jcm dsl 2000 100w. However, i've been thinking of downgrading to a 2x12 for convenience (its not very practical to haul a 4x12 cab in the back seat of a pontiac firebird ) and so i could put some really awesome speakers into a 2x12 with some left over money. i was thinking the celestion g12's or gk12's. suggestions?

Currently i'm in an apartment (i haven't got any complaints yet half way through the year) but i really haven't been able to turn the dsl up past 2.5 which is kind of lame. would going to a 2x12 help control the volume a little better so i might be able to nudge up the volume to 3 to get a bit better tone. if this is true are there any suggestions for cab brands?

I was thinking of also doing a mod to let my dsl run at half power (50 w) to reduce on the volume brutality, what do you guys think? thanks in advance
Why would you want something to "control volume better" ?????? Just turn it down! Even if it's like 2mm above zero. You can play a cab super quiet.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
^ you lose a lot of tone at super low volumes on tube amps. on my jcm it just sounds brutal if its below 1. I've got a friend who has a mesa dual rec and his amp (according to him) doesn't really start to shine until you get up to 4.

correct me if i'm wrong but i've always heard your only hearing preamp at super low volumes on tube guitar heads and you don't actually hear its real tone till you get to about 3 or 4 (obviously varies from amp to amp but thats the theory i've always heard)
that's about right. I know some people miss the bass with 2x12's but if that's not an issue for you, then it'll definitely work. I'm a fan of 2x12's myself for the tighter bass response and convenience.
Pulling two tubes and downsizing to a 2x12 will not reduce your volume.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord

Yes, it will.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Yes, it will.

It will, but not by much. By doing those you'll be able to turn your DSL up to 3.5 instead of 2.5. It's really not a huge difference.

Its not gonna change the volume a whole lot... Volume is not linear, so you can just think half wattage = half volume... its not true. Also doesnt really matter if you go from 2x12 to 4x12 for volume... because 100 watts into 4 speakers is pretty much the same as a 100 watts into 2 speakers... the power that would normally go to the extra 2 speakers in a 4x12 now just go to the 2 speakers in a 2x12. Bascially it will change your tone a bit... You loose some volume if you half your wattage, but its not gonna be a huge difference.

If you want to hear loud tones quieter you should look into attenuators... but the more you crank your amp the more power tube breakup, therefore less clean tone...

What i did for convience sake was turn my 4x12 into two 2x12s so I can leave one home and take one were needed. I basically cut it in half and recovered it with blue tolex. And from my expereince, one of my 2x12s by itself is basically the same volume as it was when it was a 4x12... It just features a slight tonal difference.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by tubetime86
Yes, it will.
No it won't.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
if you get a half power switch on the back, it lowers the volume but not by much. you'll notice it tho. i have one in my marshall. i like it better on the 100w setting because (and i dont know if this is the case with all marshalls) it sounds a little darker on the 50w setting. 100w is more brighter. however, its really convinient to have one just in case i need to crank it up a bit more
Quote by Van Noord

This.

Pulling the tubes will reduce volume...but unless you're sitting there with a dB meter...you're not going to notice. Its still going to be loud.

Having 2 less speakers could also reduce the volume...but again...you're not going to notice it. The only thing you're going to notice is a reduced bass response and less fullness to your sound. Which you may perceive as a volume drop...but same with pulling tubes...unless you're measuring dB's...you're not going to notice it. It's still going to be loud.
Quote by eyebanez333
Pulling the tubes will reduce volume...but unless you're sitting there with a dB meter...you're not going to notice. Its still going to be loud.

Having 2 less speakers could also reduce the volume...but again...you're not going to notice it. The only thing you're going to notice is a reduced bass response and less fullness to your sound. Which you may perceive as a volume drop...but same with pulling tubes...unless you're measuring dB's...you're not going to notice it. It's still going to be loud.
+1 and /thread
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...