Hey guys, I've got a Blackheart, and soon enough I think I'm gonna get rid of the Chinese tubes they have in there, and replace them with something else.

They use 2 EL84 power tubes, and 2 12AX7 preamp tubes. Can you guys recommend me some tubes? If it helps, I don't want to spend a lot, I'm in the uk, and I'm going for the Pink Floyd sound. (I'm pretty much there already, but I'm told it'll be a good upgrade to have new tubes).

But, the main question I have is: Is the Blackheart Handsome Devil cathode biased? Or are they fixed bias? I've heard a mixture, so I have no idea.

Thank you.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Hey guys, I've got a Blackheart, and soon enough I think I'm gonna get rid of the Chinese tubes they have in there, and replace them with something else.

They use 2 EL84 power tubes, and 2 12AX7 preamp tubes. Can you guys recommend me some tubes? If it helps, I don't want to spend a lot, I'm in the uk, and I'm going for the Pink Floyd sound. (I'm pretty much there already, but I'm told it'll be a good upgrade to have new tubes).

But, the main question I have is: Is the Blackheart Handsome Devil cathode biased? Or are they fixed bias? I've heard a mixture, so I have no idea.

Thank you.

EL84 are cathode biased but I remember that depends on how many wattage it is at.

Anything over 30 watts might still require biasing.
Last edited by sfx at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by sfx
EL84 are cathode biased but I remember that depends on how many wattage it is at.

Anything over 30 watts might still require biasing.

It's 15 watts, that'll be okay then?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Apparently it's cathode bias and I recommend JJ tubes, but also have a look at the "Everything you ever wanted to know about tubes" thread
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
My Blackheart came with JJ tubes in it...

Anyways, the BH15 are cathode biased, if so you should be able to plug in new power tubes right away.

I'd suggest JJ tubes, because they are pretty nice in my blackheart, but if you want to go over the top, you could look up NOS tubes or older tubes like Mullard, Telefunken, Valvo (i doubt you could find a Valvo EL84 but you might if you get lucky)
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna get some JJs in my Power tube slots, but I'm unsure about the preamp slot, the tube thread doesn't seem to like them so much.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
If you do please let us know if it makes much difference and what those differences are. Personally I have found the new Shuguangs to be a great valve but that is EL34s in a Marshall. I'd be curious to know what you think of your experience if you do it.
As for the 12AX7s, I think TungSol or Mullard reissues are the way to go (in that order of preference)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 18, 2009,
I hate JJ in the pre amp slots Dry and brittle sounding IMO. I like Tung-sols alot!
Quote by mmjohn
I hate JJ in the pre amp slots Dry and brittle sounding IMO. I like Tung-sols alot!

According to the "Everything you ever wanted to know about tubes thread", it's impossible to use Tung-Sol in a Cathode biased amp, as they will die.

Which tubes for the pre-amp slot? (Not Tung-Sols or Sovtek LPS; they'll die in cathode biased amps.)
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Right, I know what tubes to replace, but, I opened up the amp, and looked into the tubes. I'm not entirely sure how to take off the preamp covers, and how to take of the thing that holds the power tubes...

Here are some pics, how do I do it?

Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
For the power tubes, just pull the metal wire away from the tubes, do it gently. For the preamps push the cover down and twist and it should pop off as they are spring loaded
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Jak Archer
For the power tubes, just pull the metal wire away from the tubes, do it gently. For the preamps push the cover down and twist and it should pop off as they are spring loaded

Thank you very much.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Those metal wires you have on your power tubes, I have on my preamp tubes in my Laney. So thanks Jak you helped me out too!
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by stykerwolf
My Blackheart came with JJ tubes in it...

Anyways, the BH15 are cathode biased, if so you should be able to plug in new power tubes right away.

I'd suggest JJ tubes, because they are pretty nice in my blackheart, but if you want to go over the top, you could look up NOS tubes or older tubes like Mullard, Telefunken, Valvo (i doubt you could find a Valvo EL84 but you might if you get lucky)

Yeah, let's chuck some NOS tubes in a Blackheart.

I personally don't think it's worth it. Anyways TS, what kind of sound do you want out of your amp? What do you like? What don't you like?

Changing things like the preamp tubes can change your sound but you have to know what you want.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I personally don't think it's worth it. Anyways TS, what kind of sound do you want out of your amp? What do you like? What don't you like?

Changing things like the preamp tubes can change your sound but you have to know what you want.

Well, I'm pretty much 95% happy with my sound atm, and I'm not going to change the tubes for a couple of months, as Istated above. The poweramp tubes are JJs but I'm not sure abou the preamp postition.

I'm going for the heavier kind of sound from Blue Oyster Cult, especially from "Cities On Flame". Otherwise, the cleans and less gain tones are on David Gilmour stuff, not really his solo albums, but his Pink Floyd stuff.
I don't need a load of gain.

Thanks.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Yeah, this is silly. If your current tubes are working, stick with them. If you need replacements, I'd go with JJs from Eurotubes. You won't need to bias.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.