Need a new head and I'm looking for opinions -

Markbass Little Mark III or SD800 - NEW

Galien - Krueger Goldline 500 - USED

Ampeg B2RE-450 - USED

Depending on which one I choose, it may be used or new, if that affects your opinion.

I'll be running them through a G-K 1 x15GLX and 4 x 10 GLX.

Thanks!
Last edited by TheRockGJ at Dec 18, 2009,
go with the mark bass stuff, i have played a few of their heads and they blew me away.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Markbass = yum
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Markbass of g-k, have you played them both, which one do like better.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The Ampeg is terrible: over rated in power, and IMO has the bland sound of all solid state ampegs.

I haven't tried that GK. Have never tried a low end GK amp that I didn't think sounded thin, but that's a complete matter of opinion, so of course judge with your ears.

little mark: if you're all about getting a super portable rig, then go for it. Ff not, you can get more features and volume for the money.
Only one I actually tried was the Little Mark. Seems pretty bad ass, but they have 1 SD800 on clearance for $549. $1000 head normally from what I can tell. Problem is, I tried to play through it, but it wouldn't power up, which makes me a bit nervous. I'm sure they would have it working right if I bought it, but still.

Glad about the Ampeg opinion, I always thought Ampeg was the way to go, but apparently you can't just go by the name...

The GK, I can get that head and the 4 x 10 from craiglist, so this is the best value for me. I need to try the head out I suppose.

Thanks.
Quote by TheRockGJ
Only one I actually tried was the Little Mark. Seems pretty bad ass, but they have 1 SD800 on clearance for $549. $1000 head normally from what I can tell. Problem is, I tried to play through it, but it wouldn't power up, which makes me a bit nervous. I'm sure they would have it working right if I bought it, but still.

Glad about the Ampeg opinion, I always thought Ampeg was the way to go, but apparently you can't just go by the name...

The GK, I can get that head and the 4 x 10 from craiglist, so this is the best value for me. I need to try the head out I suppose.

Thanks.

Lot's of good ampeg stuff, it's just the BR series is not good. And The hybrid svt amps like the 3pro, and 4pro do not have the same voicing as the all tube ampegs by a long shot. Lots of people love them in their own right, but they do not have the same mid range fullness and power that a real svt has. (They're also over-rated for power, which really kills the 3 for some folks, but shouldn't matter with the 4).

If you get the GK stuff from craigslist, just make sure it isn't a backline cab. Terrible speakers. I've hated all I've tried at the stores; I owned a backline 2*10 which was muddy and muffled until one of the speakers completely blew and I threw some carvin 10s in there. If it's goldline, just make sure you like the aluminum cone sound as that's all preference.

edit* sounds like a great deal on the sd800. If you love the sound and have the cash, I'd say jump on it right away. --as long as it's working properly.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Dec 18, 2009,
I see what you're saying...

The G-K cab IS a goldline and I already have the 1 x 15, so it seems to make sense to me to get the matching 4 x 10. Plus I like the way it sounds.

I'm going back tonight to check out the SD800. With a little luck it's still there AND working. That will be the most expensive for me, but what can you do?

Thanks again.
Well, I went back to Guitar Center and the SD800 is out for repairs, I also found out it was used for a year. It was blowing fuses.

So I got the Markbass Little Mark III. That little sucker is awesome! Getting a 4 x 10 Goldline to match my 15 today! Gonna rumble some guts tonight!

Thanks for everyone's input...