Page 1 of 2
I have a therory and i don't know if anyone else has noticed this but most of the greatest most respected bands have the very talented bass players.

Of course the fact that they have great guitarists and singer/songwriters matters alot but i just think perhaps bass is quite important to.

led zepplin,the beatles,rhcp,qotsa,kyuss.budgie,black sabbath,hendrix experience,arctic monkeys,stone roses, the smiths, metallica, cream, rolling stones and pprobs so many others i forgot so pit.. what do you think of my therory??
Quote by jaybsp
I have a therory and i don't know if anyone else has noticed this but most of the greatest most respected bands have the very talented bass players.

Of course the fact that they have great guitarists and singer/songwriters matters alot but i just think perhaps bass is quite important to.

led zepplin,the beatles,rhcp,qotsa,kyuss.budgie,black sabbath,hendrix experience,arctic monkeys,stone roses, the smiths, metallica, cream, rolling stones and pprobs so many others i forgot so pit.. what do you think of my therory??

wat

ಠ_ಠ

wat

The three f's of bass...

1. Funky
2. Fat
3. Fresh

hmm?
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Kind of a crap theory.

There's no real correlation between good bass player and successful band.

There are just as many succesful groups with average or less-than average bassists on top of which there are also just as many, if not more, bands who have talented bassists that aren't successful.

On top of which, you've lumped led zepplin, kyuss, and arctic moneys together (plus others)? You need to narrow what you mean by "great" or "most influential"

Until then, theory is no

EDIT:
Quote by sglover34479
AC/DC, megadeth, every pop band, there are a million that have terrible bassists man,.

what do you mean Megadeth has a terrible bassist? Are you out of your head? Dave Ellefson? James Lomenzo? They are phenomenal, my friend. AC/DC on the other hand...
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Dec 18, 2009,
Shyuddup!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Dec 18, 2009,
Well if you go into Deathcore and such, All Shall Perish and As Blood Runs Black have talented bass players, while most of the bassists for bands like that play the roots...and the roots only.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Last edited by MattAnderson111 at Dec 18, 2009,
Rancid is a band where the bass player's mad skillz exceed everyone elses.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
ok, the arctic monkeys are no where near zepplin il admit that but i said the greatest not the most mainstrem or popular i meant the kind of bands you always see on the greatest bands/albums also forgot the strokes, and i think theres quite a few others.
but QOTSA's bass sucks...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Dream Floyd
but QOTSA's bass sucks...

Nick Oliveri was pretty awesome, running around naked.
i do tend to believe bands who are better musically often times have a damn good bass player (or rhythm section in general). this is certainly true of jazz, but i believe it goes to all music.

and just because someone only plays root notes doesn't make them a bad bass player. you guys are all guitarists with ego issues and you feel like good is tantamount to technical and busy. a good bass player:

1) locks with the drummer in the pocket
2) plays the line that makes that song what it is. sometimes that's just roots.

bass isn't a lead instrument primarily. it's there for support. don't apply your guitar standards to bass. doing that is the reason everyone loves billy sheehan and victor wooten instead of revering james jamerson and bruce thomas.
#DTWD
Iron Maiden proves the rule, but Kings of Leon etc. disprove it. Hard.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by primusfan
i do tend to believe bands who are better musically often times have a damn good bass player (or rhythm section in general). this is certainly true of jazz, but i believe it goes to all music.

and just because someone only plays root notes doesn't make them a bad bass player. you guys are all guitarists with ego issues and you feel like good is tantamount to technical and busy. a good bass player:

bass isn't a lead instrument primarily. it's there for support. don't apply your guitar standards to bass. doing that is the reason everyone loves billy sheehan and victor wooten instead of revering james jamerson and bruce thomas.

*checks out username

thats some bass right thar
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
led zepplin,the beatles,rhcp,qotsa,kyuss.budgie,black sabbath,hendrix experience,arctic monkeys,stone roses, the smiths, metallica, cream, rolling stones

Alot of those bands also have pretty good guitarists.......... and drummers and very iconic singers aswell
Quote by sglover34479
AC/DC, megadeth, every pop band, there are a million that have terrible bassists man,.

Simple =/= Terrible. Cliff Williams doesn't play much fancy stuff, but in no way does that make him a bad bass player.
Loads of bands I like have either no bass player or a very average one. There are also bands who have outstanding bass that I love aswell. I love these 2 different types of bands in different ways. I dont like bass bands better than non/crap-bass bands or vice versa...
Quote by primusfan

*Does not know who any of those people are*
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Dan Briggs of BTBAM is a phenomenal bass player, and I kinda get your theory, but there are many bands that contradict it as well.

And as said above, simple bass =/= bad bass.
Quote by CTFOD
I know Billy Sheehan, but that's it.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Dec 18, 2009,
yeahh i know i'm not a bass player by the way but i think the founding fathers of rock(blues,jazz) had very strong bass notes not just covered by guitars and most of the ''greatest'' bands stick to this tradition of having strong bass lines and kings of leon used to be pretty good now there shit.
Quote by CTFOD

then it's good i didn't mention paul chambers and ray brown.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan

I agree 100%

But the irony with your username is funny.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I agree 100%

But the irony with your username is funny.

yeeeeah, i noticed that after i posted.
#DTWD
Quote by m4l666
Iron Maiden proves the rule, but Kings of Leon etc. disprove it. Hard.

Typical mainstream hater. Jared is a fantastic bass player, actually, check out Slow Night So Long or McFearless, or any older KOL song.

And I'm not so sure this is a solid theory, only about half of my favourite bands have what anyone would consider "talented" bass players.
Quote by jaybsp

The fact that Rush isn't in there makes me want to stab your face off.
ahhh im not into much prog tbh but another point for my case, also i think my therory stands really well when theres only one guitarist to.
Quote by Jaymz_515
wat

I was thinking the same thing. The artic monkees dont belong in that group. A lot of the bands you mentioned are famous because they wrote Radio friendly. There are plenty of famous bands with crap bassist and plenty of obscure bands with amazing bassist.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
I prefer Homer Simpson's theory on a donut shaped universe.....
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by primusfan

This whole thing made a lot of sense. And I absolutely love Jamerson, but then again I am a bass player so that kinda makes sense really.
Quote by primusfan

^This is the truth.

As much as I like Billy Sheehan, it's a lot better to play with a bassist who can do the support part well and the wanky not as well rather than the opposite of that (IE I prefer Jason Newsted's playing to Cliff Burton's, as good as Cliff was he wasn't really that great of a support player IMHO - I mean, he wasn't bad but he often played bass more like a lead guitar).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by naedauuf
The fact that Rush isn't in there makes me want to stab your face off.

Also...Dream Theater, John Myung rules a r s e
Quote by sglover34479

how in the world is James Lomenzo a "terrible" bassist?
Valhalla I am coming!!!

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
>Bass very important.

´Nuff said.

Bass is a very crucial musical instrument in a band.

Solo, maybe not so much.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Lol good bassists are all around man. But bass players don't often show all their skills. They just play what fits the song y'know (as Bootsy would say).
But alot of bands have uninteresting bass lines I'll admit. (qotsa, but the only interesting about qotsa is the lead guitar and perhaps the iconic voice. Still they are a terrific band as a whole)
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
obviously you havent heard of the Sex Pistols.

Sid Vicious sucked so bad at bass it started to become disgraceful rather than funny but look how popular they were/are.
Quote by jaybsp

bassists can write songs too..

but i agree, behind a great band is a solid rythm section
Page 1 of 2