I have decided to get a guitar built for ska and punk ska like reel big fish,less than jake etc. I don't want a fender. limit is 500-700 i guess. Thanks in advance
Built for 500-700?

Good luck.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

The guitarists for the bands you mentioned both play Les Paul style guitars, so a cheap Gibson or an average Epiphone would probably work. Also the Ibanez Artcore models are quite cheap and good for ska. Tomas of Streetlight Manifesto used to play one before moving on to a Gibson ES model.
Quote by druggietoad2k5
Built for 500-700?

Good luck.

Not very helpful?
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by druggietoad2k5
Built for 500-700?

Good luck.

Sorry thats my price range
I think you need a Squier with 500-700 stickers on it. I've never seen a ska or punk band that doesn't have a guitar with a shit ton of stickers on it. Oh, and that isn't a squier strat
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Why not fenders!?

You should look into some nice Epiphones then. Les Paul for sure. If you want one custom built like your post leans to, you should save about, maybe 2 grand more.
You might be able to BUILD one yourself for that, but you won't get a luthier to charge that little.

I'd say get an Epi Les Paul Custom 2nd hand or something.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by Shpongled
The guitarists for the bands you mentioned both play Les Paul style guitars, so a cheap Gibson or an average Epiphone would probably work. Also the Ibanez Artcore models are quite cheap and good for ska. Tomas of Streetlight Manifesto used to play one before moving on to a Gibson ES model.

Do you know good pickups for ska

I knew about the epiphones i've been looking at these but i think there more metal guitars.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Prophesy-EX-Electric-Guitar-104611165-i1386472.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Epiphone-Ltd--Ed--1966-G-400-102676350-i1166714.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom-Classic-Antique-105320543-i1449637.gc
Quote by druggietoad2k5
Built for 500-700?

Good luck.

what do you mean good luck? I could name at least 50 guitars in that price range.

And to TS, why don't you want a fender? i'm just curious
I have purchased two Edwards Les Pauls for $500 each. Try looking on Craigslist...there are deals to be found.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
I have a fender now (squier Strat) it's nice and i like it but fender guitars idk just don't look cool lol.
^^ the classic antique would pull those off well. Maybe even the 66 G-400. I dont think id play Ska with a prophecy Sg. The EMGS wouldnt be the best pups for that imo.
No Fender's? Cmon now, your now limiting yourself from a bunch of awesome sounding punk guitars

Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Strat... etc.

Have you tried any Fenders? I think you really need to look into them rather then just judging them by looks.

I hated the looks of Les Pauls when I first started looking for something. I played one, and I instantly fell in love. It's now the perfect guitar for me, I think you should just give it a chance.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by asb9pwns

Not really I just know those are some good guitars for it. It's really not necessary to get something custom built for ska, just get an Ibanez Artcore. They are cheap and sound great.

Quote by JayLacelle
what do you mean good luck? I could name at least 50 guitars in that price range.

Because the TS said he wanted to "build" one implying he wants it custom made, which will likely cost over his price range. I misinterpreted his post as well.
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
No Fender's? Cmon now, you now limiting yourself from a bunch of awesome sounding punk guitars

Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Strat... etc.

Have you tried any Fenders? I think you really need to look into them...

Yea i've tried some i played a few strats and a telecaster they just didn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong they play great i just want something else
Quote by JayLacelle

If you can get a luthier to build you a quality guitar for that little money, then either he knows somebody that nobody else does, or he's a crappy luthier.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
Built for 500-700?

Good luck.

When ts said "Built" I think he ment alredy made, not haveing it built by a luther.

Quote by Shpongled
Just get an Ibanez Artcore. They are cheap and sound great.

THIS
Last edited by redneckrebel at Dec 18, 2009,
O my i'm sorry i meant when i said built for ska as in it was a guitar meant for ska/reggae
Okay take from a guy who plays ska, punk, and reggae, almost any classic guitar will do! You want a les paul okay get a Epiphone les paul and change the pickups to some nice alnico Vs and you're set. Those prophesy Epis are made for metal, and trust EMGs are a bit too sterile for ska. You need twang for the cleans brother! Honestly if you want a good gibson style guitar for ska, anything with P90 pickups would be awesome for both clean and overdrive. P90s soundwise are like a telecaster pickup with more bass and mid, or like a humbucker with much more treble and single coil snap.
Squiers are actually good for punk and ska, just change the pickups to Alnicos and you'll see. Try a Squier Telecaster Deluxe with two humbuckers or P90s, very good guitars for the money

So I say get a Epiphone Les Paul change them pickups or
hunt for a Les Paul Junior or Special- P90s are really awesome trust me

Also one more thing buying a guitar just for looks is really lame dude. I understand that you want to try different types of guitar but seriously Fender makes some really cool guitars like the Duo Sonic, Jaguar, Jazzmaster, etc etc that are perfect for ska and punk.

This is what I use for punk, ska, and reagge (only thing missing is a Epi LP Jr)
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
A les paul with either P90s or Alnico V pickups stock? Yeah sure, it's called Agile. Rondomusic.com sells awesome guitars for cheap dude. That black les paul special in the picture is an SX, great guitar stock, best stock pickups I've ever had for 130 bucks. The black SX is all mahogany, set neck for 130 bucks, better than any Epiphone out there for the price.
Agile is the top of the line from Rondo, they make Les Paul copies, they also make LP Specials and Juniors. Seriously Agiles will destroy Epiphone Customs and high end Agiles wreck Gibson Studios
Anyways here's some good links
SX Castilo Jr (cheap, good wood but Tuners, nut and Bridge will probably have to be upgraded, good guitar I have it)
http://www.rondomusic.com/callistojrbk.html
Agile AD 201 (LP Junior/Special- this guitar will probably need no upgrades)
http://www.rondomusic.com/ad201.html
Agile AL 3000 (LP copy- Top of the line man, seriously nice stuff)
http://www.rondomusic.com/AL3000tobacco.html
Agile AL 3000 with P90s
http://www.rondomusic.com/al30002tsp90flame.html

Good luck ska brother!

EDIT- Forgot to mention that Epiphone currently has no P90 guitars on the market besides the 1956 LP Goldtop, which is 500 dollars, too much dough for me. Sucks really I love P90s and am a huge fan of LP Juniors
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Dec 18, 2009,
Fender

Or look at some semi-hollowbody guitars

there's not much to it it's just tons of treble and awful sounding distortion
rondomusic.com check out the agiles. Theres not a guitar there that isnt in your price range. And honestly the Agiles are probably better than any epiphone and the gibsons that are in your price range.