When I play bass and jam with a drummer, I don´t really care.
I normally just listen to the beat and feel the bass drum pattern and just groove along.
It just came natural to me after playing guitar so many years.

So, do you think alot about time signatures and rhythm when playing?
Do you count and keep track of time?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Only when it's time signatures I'm not used to. I can play in 4/4, 2/4, 6/8, 3/4, 7/8, 9/8, 10/8, and 11/8 without having to consciously think about it but if I have to play anything else I have to count in my head.

That said, I can easily play along to a beat without knowing what time signature it's in.
🙈 🙉 🙊
When I'm drumming..

obviously.

When I'm playing other instruments.. I guess it depends on the complexity.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
He to whom this emotion is a stranger,
who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,
is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
- Albert Einstein
Quote by entity0009
Only when it's time signatures I'm not used to. I can play in 4/4, 2/4, 6/8, 3/4, 7/8, 9/8, 10/8, and 11/8 without having to consciously think about it but if I have to play anything else I have to count in my head.

That said, I can easily play along to a beat without knowing what time signature it's in.

This is exactly how i am. I just "feel" and internalize the beat.
R.I.P foREVer
Usually if it's just a casual jam then I'll just "feel" it, but when I play in an orchestra it's absolutely essential.
4/4, 2/4, 6/8, 3/4, 7/8, 9/8, 10/8

I dont even know how to play these, put on paper. But in music I could groove with it.
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
I can usually just kind of find a beat and go with it. I have to count every now and again if I mess up or something, but for the most part. I always have to count whole notes or anything longer than that obviously, but it's not too hard to think '1234 new chord 34 new chord 34...'
Plus I associate certain songs with certain time signatures, ex. 6/8 = greensleves, so I just think of that song in a certain tempo.
Well, when I'm playing alone I have to pay attention to STAYING in time, otherwise I tend to speed up. In a band though it's not a problem. I usually only have to count the beats when it's an unusual rhythm. 5/4 has always seemed awkward to me.
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
Only for like, really out there ones, and not to sound like I'm bragging or anything, but I've always had pretty damn good rhythm, no matter what the signature.

Except for 7/8, I've always had a small problem playing in 7/8.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Dec 18, 2009,
I dont really care unless my drummer wants to know the time sig of a riff im making, or if im making a meshuggah typeish riff.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by crazy8rgood

Except for 7/8, I've always had a small problem playing in 7/8.

Really? I always default to 7/8 when I'm improvising. It annoys my bandmates >_<. Try to divide it up into 2+2+3 or 2+2+2+1.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Yeah, and it's kind of annoying because sometimes I play something I'll stop for a second to think about the time signature and **** everything up.
Keep your friends close, and your enemies at gunpoint.
Where words fail, bullets speak.
Violence never solved anything, except for every conflict ever.

30-Day Album progress:
DONE.
Go ahead, click it. Ya know you want to.
I just go with what I feel. I don't really know what a time signature is.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Well, yeah. I don't want to be playing in 3/4 when everyone else is in 4/4.

Edit: This only applies to when I'm playing bass or drums or when I'm learning a song on guitar. Once I've memorized how the song goes in relation to a time signature, I don't need to think about it anymore.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
Well, yeah. I don't want to be playing in 3/4 when everyone else is in 4/4.

Edit: This only applies to when I'm playing bass or drums or when I'm learning a song on guitar. Once I've memorized how the song goes in relation to a time signature, I don't need to think about it anymore.

I never think about rhythm on guitar, riffs usually have such strange rhythms. Well I suppose I count when I'm playing a 12-bar but even then I can usually feel the chord change coming because I know when to play
-2-2-4-4-5-5-4-4
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

instead of
-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
Not really, I mean, I notice when it's a less common time signature but otherwise I really don't think about it consciously.
No. I always feel a strong sense of pulse, but I never actually count unless I have rests
Even in complex time signatures (or perhaps especially, I'm not sure) I avoid counting, and try instead to divide metres like 5/8 into groups, and feel those instead.
I've had to play very fast pieces, which changed every bar between 5/8, 9/16, 11/8 etc., and within that, "play" many bars rest at one time. Not fun.
Last edited by National_Anthem at Dec 18, 2009,
Only if I play songs by other bands that are in different time signatures. Writing my own stuff I don't care.
I usually tap my foot and sort of subconsciously count.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea